Thread: Daniel McCutchen Ready For New Bullpen Role

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Daniel McCutchen Ready For New Bullpen Role

Daniel McCutchen ready for new bullpen role

By Karen Price, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010

In a year that has been full of ups and downs, being sent to the Pirates' bullpen is just another challenge for Daniel McCutchen.

The 27-year-old right-hander was moved to a relief role Monday, and manager John Russell announced that James McDonald, acquired from the Los Angeles on Saturday at the deadline for closer Octavio Dotel, would get McCutchen's scheduled start Thursday against the Colorado Rockies.

"Look at (starter Jeff) Karstens: He went from being a starter to long relief to the bullpen in spring training to a starter in Triple-A to a starter here," McCutchen said. "Lots of guys, if you look at their careers, it's not the easiest task in the world to come up as a starter and stay as a starter the whole time. It'd be nice if it was that easy, but you know, I'll just roll with it.

"I'm definitely not opposed to the 'pen, but I'd still like to start. We'll see if that opportunity comes up. Right now, I'm just focusing on trying to get things together in the 'pen and help the Pirates win some ballgames."

McCutchen beat out Kevin Hart in spring training to earn the fifth spot in the starting rotation, but he has spent most of the season shuffling between Triple-A Indianapolis and the majors. This stint is his fourth with the Pirates.

He earned his only win July 1 and is 1-5 with an 8.18 ERA in his seven major league starts this season. His last outing as a starter was Sunday he was recalled Saturday and he allowed three earned runs and six hits in 52/3 innings against the St. Louis Cardinals.

"I thought he showed a lot of competitiveness the other night, I really did," Russell said. "His command wasn't as sharp, but he fought and really competed. I think taking that into the bullpen, it will help him handle that role even more.

"And the guys there are going to help him, (Joel) Hanrahan and (Evan) Meek. They've done it, they know it, they'll be able to talk to him and help him. But his last start should really help him."

McCutchen worked out of the bullpen for a couple of years in college at Oklahoma, so he has some experience in the role.

"I think the main thing that changes is my workout routine and running routine that I was on," McCutchen said. "I'd really push it hard two days after my start, which I'm not going to be able to do. I'm not going to go run 45 minutes of stadiums anymore. But hopefully, once I get into the game it will still be the same approach of just going right after guys."
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Default Re: Daniel McCutchen Ready For New Bullpen Role

Perhaps when the Pirates gets some pitching coaches that can figure out why the Starting Rotation are all giving up more free bases than their career averages and in some cases at the worst clip of their career... McCutchen's struggles won;t be as evident. He's another guy that is a control pitcher and always has been. Comes up here and suddenly he can';t throw strikes like every other starting pitcher

Threads : 271
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hate to Beat a dead Horse Kip, But it's BECAUSE McCutchen SUCKS !! always Has & Always Will, The ONLY reason he was even given a Shot is because the Inability for Hart to throw Strikes/Arm Problems/Surgery. Again Kerrigan has been pretty good Elsewhere! why Not Here ?? Because Maholm is the Best Starter & he Is Nothing more than a 4th/5th Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Evilpens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hate to Beat a dead Horse Kip, But it's BECAUSE McCutchen SUCKS !! always Has & Always Will, The ONLY reason he was even given a Shot is because the Inability for Hart to throw Strikes/Arm Problems/Surgery. Again Kerrigan has been pretty good Elsewhere! why Not Here ?? Because Maholm is the Best Starter & he Is Nothing more than a 4th/5th Starter
    You're right about Hart and maybe McCutchen DOES suck, but you still haven't found any way to defend how this staff can't throw strikes under joe Kerrigan. McCutchen has ALWAYS had low BB/9 numbers until he met Jioe Kerrigan. MTocchet has mentioned Matt Capps always being able to throw strikes here's a list....

Player | 2010 BB/9 | Career BB/9 | 2010 Minors
    Daniel McCutchen - 4.8 BB/9 and has a career BB/9 of 2.0 in the minors.

Paul Maholm - 3.2 BB/9 (hasn't a BB/9 higher than 2.8 since his first full season in MLB

Zach Duke - 2.8 BB/9 (Hasn't had a BB/9 that high since the year after his fluke rookie season.
    Not even in the **** years between last year and his rookie year did he post a BB/9 that high

Ross Ohlendorf - 3.9 BB/9. His minor league career BB/9 was 2.3

Brad Lincoln - 2.5 BB/9. Minor League career average of 1.8.

I was actually surprised that Lincoln's was sitting in the 2's. hisd problem was his K/9 being under 4

BUT... there is no more important aspect to pitching than throwing strikes. It doesn't matter what kind of "stuff" you have. Guys with far less stuff can get phenomial results because they throw strikes and don;t allow free passes and get behind in counts. When you get behind in counts, the batter is now sitting back and waiting. You have no advantage. when you put a guy on base, you pitch from the side and most pitchers end up with less leverage without a fuller windup and delivery.

I udnerstand and know that this piotching staff lacks talent. Its made up of a bunch of #3-5 guys, but it's performed much worse than players career numbers would suggest. WHIP's and ERA's are inflated, H/9's are up and they are all directly related to simply not throwing strikes.

If there was one thing that this pitching had the ability to do coming into this season it was throw strikes. It would neve3r surprise me to see these guys with high H/9's. None of them are strike out pitchers, but they are command and control guys. Every single one of them hasn't had their strength this year and Joe Kerrigan has simply not helped. I don';t expect turds to be polished but I do expect players strengths to be evident and they've been at their worst this year. Far too many players have high BB/9's to say it's isolated or use a cop-out and say "they suck" It's the pitching coaches JOB to make sure that his pitchers are performing up to their capabilities and Joe Kerrigan has not seen that through.

Threads : 271
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're right about Hart and maybe McCutchen DOES suck, [HIGH-LIGHT]but you still haven't found any way to defend how this staff can't throw strikes under joe Kerrigan. McCutchen has ALWAYS had low BB/9 numbers until he met Jioe Kerrigan. MTocchet has mentioned Matt Capps always being able to throw strikes here's a list....[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Player | 2010 BB/9 | Career BB/9 | 2010 Minors
    Daniel McCutchen - 4.8 BB/9 and has a career BB/9 of 2.0 in the minors.

Paul Maholm - 3.2 BB/9 (hasn't a BB/9 higher than 2.8 since his first full season in MLB

Zach Duke - 2.8 BB/9 (Hasn't had a BB/9 that high since the year after his fluke rookie season.
    Not even in the **** years between last year and his rookie year did he post a BB/9 that high

Ross Ohlendorf - 3.9 BB/9. His minor league career BB/9 was 2.3

Brad Lincoln - 2.5 BB/9. Minor League career average of 1.8.

I was actually surprised that Lincoln's was sitting in the 2's. hisd problem was his K/9 being under 4

BUT... there is no more important aspect to pitching than throwing strikes. It doesn't matter what kind of "stuff" you have. Guys with far less stuff can get phenomial results because they throw strikes and don;t allow free passes and get behind in counts. When you get behind in counts, the batter is now sitting back and waiting. You have no advantage. when you put a guy on base, you pitch from the side and most pitchers end up with less leverage without a fuller windup and delivery.

I udnerstand and know that this piotching staff lacks talent. Its made up of a bunch of #3-5 guys, but it's performed much worse than players career numbers would suggest. WHIP's and ERA's are inflated, H/9's are up and they are all directly related to simply not throwing strikes.

If there was one thing that this pitching had the ability to do coming into this season it was throw strikes. It would neve3r surprise me to see these guys with high H/9's. None of them are strike out pitchers, but they are command and control guys. Every single one of them hasn't had their strength this year and Joe Kerrigan has simply not helped. I don';t expect turds to be polished but I do expect players strengths to be evident and they've been at their worst this year. Far too many players have high BB/9's to say it's isolated or use a cop-out and say "they suck" It's the pitching coaches JOB to make sure that his pitchers are performing up to their capabilities and Joe Kerrigan has not seen that through.

The Problem is they Have a bunch of Soft tossers who Have to Nibble on the black of the Plate to be successful, And when there control is a little off they walk guys left & right. McCurchen threw strike IN THE MINORS In the majors he throws strikes & he gets crushed

Kerrigan has Done a **** good Job with the Bullpen which has a lot more Talent than the Starters, Therefore more to work with.

As I posted before "You can't Make chicken salad from Chicken****

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information