Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: SMIZOgraphics

      
  1. #1
    Waiting for LaRoche's Avatar
    Status : Waiting for LaRoche is offline
    Rank : Minor Leaguer
    Join Date : Feb 4, 2010
    Location : Walnut Creek, CA
    Posts : 545
    Threads : 91
    Last Online : Oct-24-2012 @ 06:17 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default SMIZOgraphics

    We all know but certainly do not love the Bob Smizik blog on the Post-Gazette website. Every day Smizik drudges up some negative point to make about the Pirates and it sparks a huge debate in the comments section. Most of the time it’s the same 20 guys making the same points over and over again. The majority of guys commenting use the space to trash Pirates management. Others use lazy arguments to defend management tooth and nail. And then there is always one or two people actually using common sense and staying in the middle of the road. The others usually ignore those few and they return to mocking the Pirates and putting down each other. Every so often Smizik chimes in with his bold text and joins in on the fun.

    So why am I writing about this? It's because the Smizik blog flies in the face of everything that makes sense in Pittsburgh Media. There is one simple fact that drives TV, radio, and web sites regarding Pittsburgh sports and that is the Steelers Rule. Yet, check out a post in the Smizik blog about the Pirates and you will see hundreds of comments, while a Steelers post will muster a few dozen. It was a similar case with Dejean Kovacevic’s PBC Blog. It proved popular enough that the Post-Gazette saw fit to move it behind its pay wall. While the Steelers themed Blog & Gold sits almost completely ignored every day

    Here’s Smizik’s post from Thursday August 5th about the Chan Ho Park acquisition. At time that I wrote this article it had 266 comments. And here is a post about Roethlisberger on the same day. 43 comments.

    The way you get money with advertising on a website is simple. You try to sell the number of daily hits on your site to advertisers. And I think it’s safe to say that is why we get a Pirates post every day on Smizik’s blog.

    Now I work in the television news business. I spent about six years producing at KDKA before moving out west and spending some time in other markets. And I can tell you the one thing that makes the Pittsburgh market unique is that the audience loves its local content. Pittsburgh viewers don’t really care what’s going on in other city. They want to know what their neighbors are up to. Pittsburgh newscasts get the kind of ratings those stations in much bigger cities drool thinking about. And the one thing that drives those ratings more than anything else is the Pittsburgh Steelers.

    It all started during the 2004-2005 run to the AFC Championship game. I still remember the top guy at KDKA saying that when he was in the Washington, D.C. market they would bring in a Redskin and would see a bump in ratings. He thought it just might work in Pittsburgh as well. That led to Jerome Bettis doing a segment every Wednesday at 5:45 pm. The ratings for that part of the newscast skyrocketed. The next season, the year the Steelers won Super Bowl XL there was a different Steeler on the show each day of the week. Ratings were big every time. The Thursday and Friday before the Super Bowl ratings skyrocketed at every station in town. And that is why to this day a Steeler sneezing will be a lead story on a newscast, because people will watch. From what I understand the Penguins have been added to the mix in the last few years.

    Now contrast that to the Pirates. I don’t think any stations even go to spring training anymore. The Pirates are not relevant in Pittsburgh media, except for one place. The Smizik Blog.

    Why is this? Beats me. Is it because 30 guys like to argue the same point over and over again? Is it because people love to see Smizik’s headshot every day?

    Maybe, just maybe it’s because despite every one saying they don’t care about the Pirates, they do care. They care a lot.

    I once heard someone say the opposite of love isn’t hate, it’s apathy. Well it appears there isn’t as much apathy towards the Pirates as people would have you believe. The Pirates get a lot of attention as a loser. Imagine how much attention they could get as a winner.
    Last edited by Waiting for LaRoche; Aug-06-2010 at 04:14 PM.
    "Nice catch, Hayes. Don't ever ****in' do it again." -Lou Brown

  2. #2
    exNCite's Avatar
    Status : exNCite is offline
    Rank : Hall Of Famer
    Join Date : Oct 12, 2009
    Location : Wall, New Jersey, United States
    Posts : 5,589
    Threads : 413
    Last Online : Jul-14-2017 @ 06:36 PM

    Default Re: SMIZOgraphics

    I actually enjoyed reading that.

    POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

  3. #3
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: SMIZOgraphics

    Quote Originally Posted by Waiting for LaRoche View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why is this? Beats me. Is it because 30 guys like to argue the same point over and over again? Is it because people love to see Smizik’s headshot every day?

    Maybe, just maybe it’s because despite every one saying they don’t care about the Pirates, they do care. They care a lot.

    I once heard someone say the opposite of love isn’t hate, it’s apathy. Well it appears there isn’t as much apathy towards the Pirates as people would have you believe. The Pirates get a lot of attention as a loser. Imagine how much attention they could get as a winner.
    Nobody wants to see Smizik's headshot. I was contacted privately by a couple of people asking me to remove my awesome Bob Smizik avatar cause it was going to make them hurl

    Great article, BTW!

    Here's some of my additional reasons for why Smizik's blog gets the attention that it does..

    1. There's a lack of place for the uneducated whiners to *****. Just about every Message board I can think of outside of the mess at Pirates.com's MB pretty much bans the types that can be categorized as "Smizik's Lemmings" They've got nowhere to really go and whine endlessly about the same 2-3 topics daily.

    2. Everyone needs vocal leader. We all share certain opinions but when you come across someone in the media that shares the same opinion... you read that person more often because now your interest is there. Then if he has a "comments section" you leave your comments and then others follow suit. As pathetic as it is... Bob Smizik is a vocal leader for idiots.

    3. Everyone loves a good train wreck. For the most part we all hate trolls and we all hate stupid people. This Message Board is a place to escape some of the dumbest of the dumb. You have that "Option".. so while it's nice to have a place to get away, people still like comedies and train wrecks and pretty know that Smizik and his Lemmings will provide that. So.. others get involved leaving comments to toy with Smizik's Lemmings BUT they know they can walk away and go talk about the more intelligent topics and side of the Pirates elsewhere. We'll call it "taunting the retards"

    4. The more you repeat the same things and the louder you say it, the more people will flock. That's the way society is in the todays easily accessible media age. If you make people believe that you are angry and you repeat the same thing over and over again regardless of accuracies, people will start believing what you say and get as equally angry. Unfortunately that is the power of the "media"

    Like you stated WFL... it's all about the money. I wouldn't doubt that a guy like Bob Smizik doesn't believe half of the stuff he writes. He's not being paid for honesty, presenting facts, doing research etc... he's getting paid to get people's interest (which is the unfortunate aspect of every media outlet) and he knows or came across what pushes enough buttons.

    How long before the PG gets a little greedy and hides Smizik's blog (please) under their pay site?
    Last edited by Kipper; Aug-06-2010 at 02:33 PM.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


  4. #4
    LeeFoo's Avatar
    Status : LeeFoo is offline
    Rank : Minor Leaguer
    Join Date : Mar 5, 2010
    Location : central pa
    Posts : 615
    Threads : 66
    Last Online : Jul-15-2012 @ 05:10 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: SMIZOgraphics

    As someone who frequents Bob's blog and comments occasionally, I must admit that I love the blog!

    It helps me get my frustrations out. Plus, I can have a lot of fun with some snarky humor that nobody seems to mind.


    Another attraction is that there seems to be no middle ground. Daq, BFD, Jose are way on one side (the Anti's) and Carnegie Chip, Dog and others are way on the other side (the Pros). Nobody changes their minds, yet everyone is always trying to change others' minds.

    And then, Bobby Bold chimes in.

    It is a curious blog indeed. Indeed.......why is it so popular?

  5. #5
    LeeFoo's Avatar
    Status : LeeFoo is offline
    Rank : Minor Leaguer
    Join Date : Mar 5, 2010
    Location : central pa
    Posts : 615
    Threads : 66
    Last Online : Jul-15-2012 @ 05:10 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: SMIZOgraphics

    Kip...nice response....I was going to respond to #3...however, I am not sure what category I am in. A taunter, a Lemming, a retard, Train Wreck watcher....none of those appeal to me.

    I agree with your assessment of Bob, tho. In fact, several on the blog have stated that, yet we all come back.

    Maybe it is like smoking cigarettes or doing cocaine? Yeah.....that's the ticket!

  6. #6
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: SMIZOgraphics

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeFoo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As someone who frequents Bob's blog and comments occasionally, I must admit that I love the blog!

    It helps me get my frustrations out. Plus, I can have a lot of fun with some snarky humor that nobody seems to mind.


    Another attraction is that there seems to be no middle ground. Daq, BFD, Jose are way on one side (the Anti's) and Carnegie Chip, Dog and others are way on the other side (the Pros). Nobody changes their minds, yet everyone is always trying to change others' minds.

    And then, Bobby Bold chimes in.

    It is a curious blog indeed. Indeed.......why is it so popular?
    I purposely know to just avoid those types of places because they are easy to get sucked in and for good reason. If you agree with what is said, you just pile on. If you disagree, it's usually a pretty heavy disagreement that is tough to hold back from and this is without reading the "comments" section. more of the ******bags there were some of the ******bags that polluted DK's blog and also are the same ******bags over at the Pirates.com MB. There's really probably only a few of them and they just bounce around from one place to another .

    But yeah, I know to avoid those places because they are a complete waste of time unless I can use them for personal amusement. I used to go over to the MB at pirates.com and troll pretty heavily under a couple of different names. It's a waste of time to try and hold a discussion or even a debate with Smizik or his Lemmings so places like that and such it's just best to sit back and do nothing but **** them off even more. Cause you know it's easy
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


  7. #7
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: SMIZOgraphics

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeFoo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kip...nice response....I was going to respond to #3...however, I am not sure what category I am in. A taunter, a Lemming, a retard, Train Wreck watcher....none of those appeal to me.

    I agree with your assessment of Bob, tho. In fact, several on the blog have stated that, yet we all come back.

    Maybe it is like smoking cigarettes or doing cocaine? Yeah.....that's the ticket!
    but.... how many would follow suit if Smizik's goes to a pay site?

    ... before I forget, I think the Lemmings have influenced you too much. That cocaine addiction is pulling some of your opinions to the dark side
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


  8. #8
    LeeFoo's Avatar
    Status : LeeFoo is offline
    Rank : Minor Leaguer
    Join Date : Mar 5, 2010
    Location : central pa
    Posts : 615
    Threads : 66
    Last Online : Jul-15-2012 @ 05:10 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: SMIZOgraphics

    Kip......Very few of the Lemmings would follow to the Pay Site, just like with DK's site.

    As for the 'dark side', I am just sooooooooooo tired of our mediocre pitching and our 1 year flash in the pans. My best friend is an optimist and I hope him and you all are correct about the young pitching.

    I wanna believe....I really do, but I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE!!!

    (sorry about that....time for my Cymbalta....where'd I put those things)

  9. #9
    PittFaninVa's Avatar
    Status : PittFaninVa is offline
    Rank : All-Star
    Join Date : Oct 28, 2009
    Posts : 2,433
    Threads : 94
    Last Online : Jun-07-2011 @ 10:03 PM

    Default Re: SMIZOgraphics

    I have to admit I love Smizik's blog. He has no creditability but I read every Pirate article he writes…**** him! Then there are about 5 or so loyal posters on his blog who are so negative about the team and are as dependable as the sun coming up the next day when it comes to trashing the Pirates for even the slightest thing. It's the funniest thing on the internet. You know what they are going to say on any Pirate topic before hand. This is how I get my comic relief every morning.

  10. #10
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: SMIZOgraphics

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeFoo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kip......Very few of the Lemmings would follow to the Pay Site, just like with DK's site.

    As for the 'dark side', I am just sooooooooooo tired of our mediocre pitching and our 1 year flash in the pans. My best friend is an optimist and I hope him and you all are correct about the young pitching.

    I wanna believe....I really do, but I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE!!!

    (sorry about that....time for my Cymbalta....where'd I put those things)
    I'm not exactly optimistic about the young pitching. I've been saying we need pitching. Young pitching as in the LOW minors... that's different though, but those guys are a long ways out.

    I'm with you on the flash in the pans as well..

    ...but I honestly can't figure out how guys like yourself or anyone else can say at year 17 "I've finally had enough". You mean, you were content years ago? The losing got to me a while back, now it's just losing, there's nothing left but to look for the optimism. what do we get out of looking for negativity and feeling negative? It's already there, so why beat ones self up over it?



    My optimism might be completely misplaced but I'd feel like an ******* if I had continued to hate something that I "chose" to follow
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


  11. #11
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: SMIZOgraphics

    Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have to admit I love Smizik's blog. He has no creditability but I read every Pirate article he writes…**** him! Then there are about 5 or so loyal posters on his blog who are so negative about the team and are as dependable as the sun coming up the next day when it comes to trashing the Pirates for even the slightest thing. It's the funniest thing on the internet. You know what they are going to say on any Pirate topic before hand. [HIGH-LIGHT]This is how I get my comic relief every morning.[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    I'd like to say that MOST of the people that read his blog are probably like you. It's cheap comedy
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


  12. #12
    LeeFoo's Avatar
    Status : LeeFoo is offline
    Rank : Minor Leaguer
    Join Date : Mar 5, 2010
    Location : central pa
    Posts : 615
    Threads : 66
    Last Online : Jul-15-2012 @ 05:10 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: SMIZOgraphics

    Kip.....I just realized that, having started in 1960 with the Bucs, it is now FIFTY years of me following them! Wow.....when did I get that frikkin old?

    As for my optimism, my pessimism has become a defense mechanism. I DO agree, that perhaps I fed into the 'lemming movement' a bit too much. Thanks for that comment. It really hit home. My buddy is used to my 'doom and gloom' ways because I wear my emotions on my sleeve.

    Maybe if we could just fast forward to 2013 when all this young (hopefully) talent comes to fruition I'd be better off.

    Btw, while we're on the subject of pitching, I think, perhaps, Ohlie might be turning it back around. Maybe he IS a keeper!

  13. #13
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: SMIZOgraphics

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeFoo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kip.....I just realized that, having started in 1960 with the Bucs, it is now FIFTY years of me following them! Wow.....when did I get that frikkin old?

    As for my optimism, my pessimism has become a defense mechanism. I DO agree, that perhaps I fed into the 'lemming movement' a bit too much. Thanks for that comment. It really hit home. My buddy is used to my 'doom and gloom' ways because I wear my emotions on my sleeve.

    Maybe if we could just fast forward to 2013 when all this young (hopefully) talent comes to fruition I'd be better off.

    Btw, while we're on the subject of pitching, I think, perhaps, Ohlie might be turning it back around. Maybe he IS a keeper!
    Dorf has shown a lot of flashes of being a very good pitcher in his short time with the Pirates. He's always seemed like a guy that needed just a little further refinement but more than that a guy that needed to work on repetition. What was his issue? Wasn't he complaining about pitching with men on base this year?

    50 years a **** long time. You've seen it all at this point. winning, World Series, cocaine trials, a couple of the ****tiest Pirates teams in the past 50 years (1985-1986 Pirates), 17+ straight losing seasons. I can understand more when the older generations get ****ed off more. They remember the good and great days and to sit through all of this losing has to wear one down especially with all of those good memories.

    Just keeping thinking of the future but know that there's some growing pains on the way there or sip some of Kool-Aid
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •