Thread: Leftwich says Steelers offense ‘like riding a bike”

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Leftwich says Steelers offense ‘like riding a bike”

Leftwich says Steelers offense ‘like riding a bike”

Posted by eric.schmidt
    August 9, 2010
    http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...a_bike/3020967

The Pittsburgh Steelers will be heading into the 2010 season with Byron Leftwich under center, and he says the Steelers offense is just like riding a bike. Leftwich will be most likely the starting quarterback for the Steelers for between 4-6 games this season as Ben Roethlisberger sits out his suspension. It appears that Ben and Byron “The Human Windmill” Leftwich are splitting reps with the first team in practice.

Steelers fans are apprehensive with Leftwich under center to start this season, and rightfully so. He has a windup in his delivery which would make a major league baseball player proud and has become a turnover machine. But, never the less, Leftwich appeared this morning on 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh sounding like he’s a quarterback returning to the Steelers with a few Super Bowl rings under his belt. You can listen to the entire interview right here.

Leftwich was asked about returning to Pittsburgh and the differences in the offense now. Leftwich sounds as if he’s a full blown alcoholic in denial, he thinks he’s much better than he actually is. If he falters early and the Steelers don’t try out Dixon, it could very well be a wasted season for the Steelers in 2010. Thanks Ben.

Leftwich’s comments are here (transcribed by sportsradiointerviews.com)-

“The concepts are still there. I learned it. I never forgot it. It was easy for me to pick up. It was like riding a bike. I was able to come in here for OTAs and take all the reps and not really miss anything. There are some new things and some new wrinkles here and there that I can learn on the run, but the concepts as a whole, pretty much 85-90% of it I know… It’s still football. Football games need to be played. We play this game one game at a time. It’s nothing really different. It’s different for a lot of people. There is a whole lot more that you guys talk about on a daily basis that’s new for everybody. For us as players, when we get on this field, nothing is going to change.”

Threads : 2
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Leftwich says Steelers offense ‘like riding a bike”

I need to see him in preseason before I make any judgements. Hopefully if he sucks in preseason and Dixon looks better they will go with Dixon. But I somehow doubt the coaches will have enough confidence in him to start and Lefty will start no matter what. I read where they have been working on his throwing to cut down on that windup so perhaps it won't be as bad as we might think.

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

the good thing is its only 4 games- i always kinda thought his problem was injurys.

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I remember Lefty looking pretty good for us his first go round. I hope, hope, hope he can play at least like an average NFL starting QB.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by WYsteel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember Lefty looking pretty good for us his first go round. I hope, hope, hope he can play at least like an average NFL starting QB.
    if the d. plays the way it should ,thats all we need buddy!

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Lefty will be fine. I'm more concerned about Dixon and I'm wondering what happens to Batch when Ben returns.

That's the story IMO.

Threads : 55
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Posted by eric.schmidt
    August 9, 2010

The Pittsburgh Steelers will be heading into the 2010 season with Byron Leftwich under center, and he says the Steelers offense is just like riding a bike. Leftwich will be most likely the starting quarterback for the Steelers for between 4-6 games this season as Ben Roethlisberger sits out his suspension. It appears that Ben and Byron “The Human Windmill” Leftwich are splitting reps with the first team in practice.

Steelers fans are apprehensive with Leftwich under center to start this season, and rightfully so. He has a windup in his delivery which would make a major league baseball player proud and has become a turnover machine. But, never the less, Leftwich appeared this morning on 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh sounding like he’s a quarterback returning to the Steelers with a few Super Bowl rings under his belt. You can listen to the entire interview right here.

Leftwich was asked about returning to Pittsburgh and the differences in the offense now. Leftwich sounds as if he’s a full blown alcoholic in denial, he thinks he’s much better than he actually is. If he falters early and the Steelers don’t try out Dixon, it could very well be a wasted season for the Steelers in 2010. Thanks Ben.

“The concepts are still there. I learned it. I never forgot it. It was easy for me to pick up. It was like riding a bike. I was able to come in here for OTAs and take all the reps and not really miss anything. There are some new things and some new wrinkles here and there that I can learn on the run, but the concepts as a whole, pretty much 85-90% of it I know… It’s still football. Football games need to be played. We play this game one game at a time. It’s nothing really different. It’s different for a lot of people. There is a whole lot more that you guys talk about on a daily basis that’s new for everybody. For us as players, when we get on this field, nothing is going to change.”

With The Exception Of My EX-WIFE...
    Nothing ****es Me Off More Than Jock Talk...
    For Graduating College...
    These Guys All Sound Like A Bunch Of ****ing Illiterate Idiots...
    Spare Me Your Intellect...
    Shut Up...
    And Play...
    The Game...

Threads : 70

The Steelers Offense is "like riding a bike," in that it's been so predictable over the last few years that I (and opposing defenses) have a good idea of what play will be called before the huddle breaks

Threads : 29

Some might say with Arians leading the way it's like "riding a bike" without a seat.

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by lvsteelersfan View Post
    I need to see him in preseason before I make any judgements. Hopefully if he sucks in preseason and Dixon looks better they will go with Dixon. But I somehow doubt the coaches will have enough confidence in him to start and Lefty will start no matter what. I read where they have been working on his throwing to cut down on that windup so perhaps it won't be as bad as we might think.
    Tough to judge players on Pre Season games. they aren't running the full assortment of plays, no game planning. Offenses are very vanilla outside of of a few plays here and there. To be honest, Dixon could probably do very well under those scenerios because he wouldn't be facing all of the blitz packages and various looks defenses would give him in a real game. He'd be facing vanilla defenses.

Struggles or not in Pre Season, Leftwich SHOULD be the starter in the opener. We've seen Ben not have the best of preseasons before as well.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quote Originally Posted by rockcr View Post
    if the d. plays the way it should ,thats all we need buddy!
    Just protect the ball and don't try to play the hero. Like you said if the D does it's job and doesn't put the O in situations where they need to win the game, we should be fine as long as we aren't turning the ball over.

I've got a million times more faith in Leftwich to move the ball, the offense and score without turning the ball over than Dixon. At least with Leftwich we can run the entire offense for the most part, with Dixon you have to put in the playschool offense for retards and then hope he doesn't screw that one up too much

Posted by eric.schmidt
    August 9, 2010

I was trying to get the general gist of this. I read and listened to all of Leftwiches comments and found nothing that suggested that Byron Leftwich thought he was Dan Marino or was returning to the Steelers with a few rings under his belt. I heard and read a guy that felt confident in his abilities (like you hear every player say) that sounded like he remembered most of the playbook.

Sounds like this Eric Schmidt ******bag from yardbarker has reading comprehension issues and a personal agenda.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's about it, mate! This is part skill, part luck and a wedge of brinksmanship. If the line improve to any appreciable degree, that'll buy him an extra nugget of time to offload the ball, hopefully to someone wearing the same colour jersey.

An optimist sees the glass half full. A pessimist sees the glass half empty. A pragmatist says "I'm glad I transferred half the water to this redundant glass".
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Just protect the ball and don't try to play the hero. Like you said if the D does it's job and doesn't put the O in situations where they need to win the game, we should be fine as long as we aren't turning the ball over.

I've got a million times more faith in Leftwich to move the ball, the offense and score without turning the ball over than Dixon. At least with Leftwich we can run the entire offense for the most part, with Dixon you have to put in the playschool offense for retards and then hope he doesn't screw that one up too much
    I,ve heard people say they want dixon. but he just ran around last year the little he played ,we cant have that for 4 games. leftwich like i said from memory, injurys seem to be what really hurt his game.

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    That's about it, mate! This is part skill, part luck and a wedge of brinksmanship. If the line improve to any appreciable degree, that'll buy him an extra nugget of time to offload the ball, hopefully to someone wearing the same colour jersey.

An optimist sees the glass half full. A pessimist sees the glass half empty. A pragmatist says "I'm glad I transferred half the water to this redundant glass".
    and lets not forget as well, when Lefty was brought in here was right about the time when the O-Line was making the full transition to zone blocking and were enduring some changes due to injury. so it was far from being anything resembling cohesive and such, not because of talent but because of all the change thrusted at once. I wanna say Marvel Smith and Kendall Simmons both got injured at similar times in 2008 about when Leftwich came in and played.

The line now is far better, and more stable than it was at that point in 2008.

We'll be fine as long as Byron doesn't try to use the 4-6 games as a showcase for another starting job. If he goes in and does what he has to do and protects the ball we'll be fine. anything more and we could get the guy that lead Jacksonville and Tampa Bay's air games into the ground

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information