Thread: Are Benglas The Team To Beat In The Division??

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Are Benglas The Team To Beat In The Division??

Steelers Players don't seem too convinced

Starkey: Bengals the team to beat?

By Joe Starkey, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Thursday, August 12, 2010

About the writer
    Joe Starkey co-hosts a talk show 2-6 p.m. weekdays on 93.7 "The Fan." His columns appear Thursdays and Sundays in the Trib. He can be reached via e-mail.
    Ways to get us.

"I pray for Carson."

Steelers receiver Hines Ward laughed when he said that. He was talking about Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer, who finds himself on diva patrol this summer. His top two receivers — Terrell Owens and Chad Ochocinco — can best be described as the sensitive artist types. Each has a reality show on VH1 (back to back on Sunday nights, or so I'm told).

I believe it was Miami Herald columnist Dan Le Batard who dubbed the duo "WKR-ME in Cincinnati" — and T.O. wasn't the Bengals' only intriguing offseason addition.
    Another receiver with, shall we say, a strong personality, climbed aboard, as did a cornerback with a checkered past. Those would be Antonio Bryant and the artist formerly known as Pac Man Jones, respectively.

Can this possibly work?

"We'll see," Ward said. "If they have success, it'll work good. But what if they're not having success? I'm pretty sure if they're not having the success they want, something will come out in that camp."

Ward added one more thing: "I'm pretty sure our defense would love to go against Chad and T.O. With a healthy Troy (Polamalu) and a healthy Aaron Smith and Bryant McFadden back, I like our defense."

Linebacker LaMarr Woodley isn't convinced the T.O. experiment will end well.
    "You've been seeing T.O. on a few teams," Woodley said, "and what difference did that make?"

'Course, the Steelers have issues of their own, as Ward, Woodley and anyone else roaming the fields of St. Vincent College will readily acknowledge. They are coming off an embarrassing season in which they won just two of six divisional games and failed to score a touchdown in two of the losses.

To a man, starting with the head coach, the Steelers will tell you redemption begins within the division. They must recapture the AFC North, which the Bengals owned last season by posting a 6-0 record.

T.O. jokes aside, the Steelers have grown to respect the Bengals, who displayed a different kind of toughness last season and finally have a defense that deserves to be taken seriously.

When I asked nose tackle Casey Hampton to identify the "team to beat," he replied with a rhetorical question: "Who won the division last year?"
    Cincinnati, of course.

"Right, then they're the team to beat."

Woodley had a better answer: "Everybody's the team to beat, because everybody beat us (at least once) last year."

Since the NFL realigned in 2002, the Steelers have largely controlled the AFC North. Their divisional record is 34-14, with four titles. The Ravens are next at 25-23, followed by the Bengals (24-24) and the Cleveland Browns (13-35).

This has to be the most interesting division in the league, what with the Steelers' quarterback drama, the Bengals' reality show, the Ravens' newfound passing potential and the Browns' remade front office, which climbed several notches on the respectability meter when Mike Holmgren decided to take his talents to Northeastern Ohio.

"Right now," Ward said, "it seems like everybody in our division is upgrading."
    The Ravens appear to be the division's strongest team up front, if you combine the offensive and defensive lines, and the popular pick to win it. Anquan Boldin gives them the kind of receiving weapon they simply have not had. At the same time, they appear to be terribly vulnerable in the secondary.

The Steelers likely must return to their dominant defensive ways in order to survive until Ben Roethlisberger returns, perhaps for the fifth game, against Cleveland. The Browns stink. The Bengals are as compelling as any team in football, a combustible entity that could blow up for better or worse.

Animosity is the glue that holds the division together, though some of the ribbing is good-natured. I think. Ochocinco raised some eyebrows, and some ire, during the premiere of "Ochocinco: The Ultimate Catch" when he ripped the Steelers.
    The idea is for Ochocinco to choose a mate from a roster of 85 women. Upon his first peek at the candidates, he said: "Man, I haven't seen this many girls on the field since we played the Steelers."

That got a laugh from Steelers linebacker Larry Foote.
    "He's animated," Foote said. "Sometimes I even see him sulking and crying on the field."

The Steelers' first game against the Bengals is Monday night, Nov. 8, at 8:30.
    Should be a pretty good show.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_694491.html
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Are Benglas The Team To Beat In The Division??

Well... 'Ya knew I'd respond to this thread first stop back from vacation...

T.O. jokes aside, the Steelers have grown to respect the Bengals, who displayed a different kind of toughness last season and finally have a defense that deserves to be taken seriously.
    At this point, I'd have to say that yes, the Bengals are the team to beat... At least based on most recent performance.

Yea, maybe some teams underestimated them to start the season last year, and that will not happen again. But they still did well after folks were opening their eyes to them... They definitely have the talent, and at this point, are not facing the injury issues Baltimore is, nor the suspension issues we are... They are the defending division champs, so I have to give them their due, allbeit begrudgingly.

I'm sure that my closeness and innundation of news/info about them may be affecting my perception, but I do think that they will be every bit as tough to beat this season as last... Of course, they do have a pretty tough schedule, so by the end of September I may be singing a different tune.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well... 'Ya knew I'd respond to this thread first stop back from vacation...

At this point, I'd have to say that yes, the Bengals are the team to beat... At least based on most recent performance.

Yea, maybe some teams underestimated them to start the season last year, and that will not happen again. But they still did well after folks were opening their eyes to them... They definitely have the talent, and at this point, are not facing the injury issues Baltimore is, nor the suspension issues we are... They are the defending division champs, so I have to give them their due, allbeit begrudgingly.

I'm sure that my closeness and innundation of news/info about them may be affecting my perception, but I do think that they will be every bit as tough to beat this season as last... Of course, they do have a pretty tough schedule, so by the end of September I may be singing a different tune.
    I just wonder that if teams never really ever took them seriously though. That's my main problem with the Bengals and really evaluating them. It's what makes them possible one year flashes, sort of like the 2007 Cleveland Browns.

While they beat us twice and we could say that after we lost to them the first time it should've opened our eyes... it's also possible that the players felt it was more of a fluke performance. Teams around the NFL have grown accustommed to the Bengals finding ways to kill themselves in Football games and it's tough to really erase that mindset over 1 season..

Now, this season, the Bengals will have the target on their backs. They won the Division, made the playoffs, are in the National media now constantly with the Owens and ac Man signings etc... They won't be able to sneak past teams or have the fortune of teams treating them like the same ole Bengals... I guess we'll see whether they are for real or not this season. It just makes it really difficult to make a judgment call on them or really any team that has a one season turn around like that.

But... like one of the players said.. The Bengals won the Division so they are the team to beat right now. The defending divisonal champs are always the team to beat unless someone from that division wins the Superbowl without obtaining division Champs status
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 60

On paper they are the team to beat but we will see. I don't see us running the division this season and at least not against them. This should make the Steelers better having some better teams in our division to go up against.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't want to see TO leave the game on a stretcher. I want to see him leave on two stretchers. Is that beat enough?
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo

"You've been seeing T.O. on a few teams," Woodley said, "and what difference did that make?"

Exactly. T.O. is now the Limas Sweed of the Bungles. How often does that dork actually make a completion?

Well... No one hates the Bengals more than Your Friendly Neighborhood Bungle Basher...

... But they really do worry me again this season... Yea, I guess time will tell this season as to whether they were "overlooked" last year by their opponents, and it is definitely a valid observation...

And while I expect them to have a bit of a rough start in September due to the schedule, I really think they will be in the mix come December. All teams go thru a bit of "ebb & flow" in this league, and unfortunately, I think the Bengals are on an up-swing... Time will tell, but I wouldn't underestimate them as an opponent... They have acquired considerable talent... Defense is improved, offense is improved (with the exception of last year's bust), and they seem to be somewhat "rounded" IMO.... But that's why they play the games, so we'll see rather soon.

... And yea, I'd like to see "TO" carried off on multiple stretchers with Troy handing him his teeth as he's rolled-off the field.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackandgold View Post

Exactly. T.O. is now the Limas Sweed of the Bungles. How often does that dork actually make a completion?
    I've made all the comparisons to a locker room with both Chad and T.O. being a two class-clown class on other sites, and the last time the Bungles had two type-A personality receivers, things seemed to disintergrate.

Still...worth mentioning....four quarterbacks have had 30 TD seasons while playing with Owens (Young, Garcia, McNabb, Romo). Only of those ever had a 30 TD season before or after TO. (Young)

Philadelphia's best season ever came with TO on it.

Dallas' best regular season in the last 18 years was achieved with TO on it.

San Fran's best two seasons in the last decade came with TO on it.

Buffalo had him for a year, and would've sucked with or without him. They cut ties with him before he could screw up the team. In other places, the divorce between the team and TO was just as messy, but not before he did indeed help the team win. Is he good in short doses, meaning for just a year?... I dunno... I just know that I hate the Bungles.

Threads : 137

The team to beat off maybe.

Threads : 82

I still think they would be better off with douchamenzada. I hate him but liked him as a player.

There are many ways for them to screw this up and they will find it. 2 winning seasons in a row, I'd have to see it to believe it... Even then...

Threads : 70

The TO signing doesnt concern me so much... He is still a legit receiver (#3ish) in this league, and Bryant is a "never-was."

I'd be much more concerned if they still had Houshmazood and Henry (who would be coming into his prime...RIP, unfortunate). We were able to handle that over-achieving threesome, so that doesnt bother me so much now.

What does concern me is how their defense has shaped up! I was screaming for us to pick Malaluga(sp?) when on the board...and I think this dude is a "DOG!!!!" Not to mention, they have improved up front and in they have a more than capable set of Corners. If this team has a safety that steps up, look out!!!!

Oh, but being the homer that I am...we'll still romp'em

Threads : 137

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    I still think they would be better off with douchamenzada. I hate him but liked him as a player.

There are many ways for them to screw this up and they will find it. 2 winning seasons in a row, I'd have to see it to believe it... Even then...
    Clearly.

And ******menzada would be better off with the bungles.

The bungles, shecocks and ******menzada are all losers in this deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetchuck View Post
    Clearly.

And ******menzada would be better off with the bungles.

The bungles, shecocks and ******menzada are all losers in this deal.
    Yes, I agree... TJ ****** was/is a good WR... But before last season he saw dollar signs in his eyes which led him to Seattle... It's bad for him, and bad for Carson Palmer, but good for us....

Threads : 60

I forgot that we still owned them when they had TJ and it's my opinion, TJ brings more to the table than TO.

Threads : 70

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    I forgot that we still owned them when they had TJ and it's my opinion, TJ brings more to the table than TO.
    We may have "owned" them with Houshmazood...but they also had an EXTREMELY WEAK defense during that span! TJ had some nice games against us, as far as I remember!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information