Thread: Pouncey develops rapidly at right guard and center

Threads : 440

Default Pouncey develops rapidly at right guard and center

Pouncey develops rapidly at right guard and center

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Friday, August 13, 2010

Maurkice Pouncey

Since Mike Tomlin took over as head coach in 2007, the Steelers generally have brought rookies along slowly.

That Maurkice Pouncey will play both center and guard Saturday night against the Lions is not just indicative of the football aptitude that the Steelers have raved about since drafting the former University of Florida star in April.

It may also be an indication that the Steelers are keeping an open mind when it comes to Pouncey, and that he could challenge two incumbents along the offensive line.

It has been widely thought that Pouncey would play right guard he is running with the second team behind Trai Essex there before eventually taking over for Justin Hartwig at center.

But when asked Thursday where he expects to see his first action as a Steeler, Pouncey said, "I'm probably going to start off at center, but I'm not sure yet."

One thing Pouncey, the 18th overall pick of the 2010 draft, does appear to be sure of is that he is ready for his NFL debut.

"I'm very well prepared to go out there and perform," Pouncey said yesterday. "I ain't going to say I know (the playbook) to the T, but I've got it down pretty good."

What makes his grasp of the playbook all the more impressive is that Pouncey has been learning two positions, something offensive line coach Sean Kugler said is "very rare" for a rookie to do.

"This thing hasn't fazed him," Kugler said. "He's picked it up probably at a pace as quickly or better than I would have expected."

It may become clearer Saturday where the Steelers see Pouncey starting his NFL career.

What isn't a question is that the Steelers see the 6-4, 304-pounder as a viable option at both center and right guard in case there is an injury or in case Pouncey's development is such that the Steelers have to find a place for him in the starting lineup.

"I want him to get some exposure at both spots," Tomlin said. "I don't have a set number of snaps. It is kind of dictated on how the drives go. There is no crystal ball there. We are not afraid to play him at both positions in this football game."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_694694.html

Threads : 440

Default Re: Pouncey develops rapidly at right guard and center

i thought Pouncey played better than Hartwig and played RG better than Essex...Pouncey really needs to start at one of those two positions.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i thought Pouncey played better than Hartwig and played RG better than Essex...Pouncey really needs to start at one of those two positions.
    Couldn't agree more... I personally would love to see him take-over the starting center position this year, but as long as he's on the field I'll be happy... Besides... Remember, Webster started-out as a guard his first season as well.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 60

I wonder if they had a healthy Colon if Pouncey would have been our starter ?

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Pouncey needs to be the starting Center. He is clearly a better option than Hartwig, IMO. I also believe Legursky should start over Essex at Guard, once again IMO.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 29

Considering the amount of time he got at C it would appear he'll be starting much sooner rather than later.

If he can handle the pre snap reads/calls get him in there.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Again.. let's keep this all in perspective too.

1. Pouncey probably knows half of the Offensive playbook.
    2. He's not seen pro blitzes
    3. He played against the Detroit Lions 2nd and 3rd and 4th stringers. Detroits starters are 2nd and 3rd stringers on good teams

He's definitely not going to be ready to play Center this year but I could see him battle for that RG position and hope they keep an open mind about it. Pouncey looked very mobile and strong in the first preseason game. He was able to stick to this man (don't know if the man he stuck to was garbage as far as talent..lol).

I'm excited about Pouncey but he's also a green rookie with no NFL experience who looked good against Detroit's backups. Give him some time. He'll get his shot
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post
    Considering the amount of time he got at C it would appear he'll be starting much sooner rather than later.

If he can handle the pre snap reads/calls get him in there.
    He won't be playing Center unless Hartwig gets injured. The steelers won't and don't need to throw Pouncey into that type of fire that a Center has to endure. RG is a strong possibility. That's a spot that has nobody in it unless Trai Essex is considered somebody . Easier position for a rookie to come in and start. At least it's one where a rookie doesn't have to over think AND perform like Center
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information