Thread: Steelers end rainy night with win

Threads : 440

Default Steelers end rainy night with win

Steelers end rainy night with win

Saturday, August 14, 2010
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers' first preseason game included a lightning delay of one hour, 13 minutes and at least a one-week delay until anyone gets to see Ben Roethlisberger at quarterback.

Coach Mike Tomlin ended a mystery Saturday night that began to take shape in April when NFL commissioner Roger Goodell suspended Roethlisberger for at least the first four games of the regular season.

When would Roethlisberger play in the preseason and how much? The early answer: Not at all. Tomlin started the quarterback who is likely to start the regular season, Byron Leftwich.

Leftwich completed 6 of 10 passes for 43 yards before giving way to Dennis Dixon as the Steelers defeated the Detroit Lions, 23-7.

Dixon completed 6 of 7 passes for 128 yards and one touchdown for a perfect passer rating of 158.3. He also ran six times for 31 yards. Charlie Batch replaced Dixon with 4:12 left in the game.

An intriguing sidebar to the decision at quarterback was the Steelers' obvious attempts to run against the Lions. They have been resolute about returning to their once-powerful ground game since team president Art Rooney strongly suggested they do that this season.

They ran 16 times in the first half and threw it 11 times. They ran it from the shotgun, they ran when they might have thrown the ball last season. Isaac Redman was the star of this ground-breaking effort. Dubbed "Red Zone" last year for his ability to score near the goal line, Redman did it all Saturday night.

He picked up 31 yards on a twisting, tackle-breaking romp, he caught a screen pass and converted it into a 13-yard gain, and he scored on his specialty, a 1-yard touchdown run. He ran 15 times for 60 yards.

Roethlisberger suited up and warmed up but did not play in the first preseason game. He watched from the sideline, wearing a baseball cap.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10226/10 ... z0we7s32Oq

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Steelers end rainy night with win

Roethlisberger suited up and warmed up but did not play in the first preseason game. He watched from the sideline, wearing a baseball cap.
    ... And wearing it backwards as usual... Man, if you don't want a bill sticking-out over your forehead, just wear a freakin' Shriner's beenie or somethin'....

(Sorry, just a personal pet peeve... By the way, get off my grass and don't step in my yard... LoL!)

Either way, nice first game... I want to see more from Redman except just against the other teams' 2nd stringers.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo

Default Re: Steelers end rainy night with win

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ... And wearing it backwards as usual... Man, if you don't want a bill sticking-out over your forehead, just wear a freakin' Shriner's beenie or somethin'....

(Sorry, just a personal pet peeve... By the way, get off my grass and don't step in my yard... LoL!)

Either way, nice first game... I want to see more from Redman except just against the other teams' 2nd stringers.
    Ease up NKY, he's just emulating Yogi Berra

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information