Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RBs still can't hold onto the football

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default RBs still can't hold onto the football

While I like Mendy alot, I am not ready to crown him the next coming of "sliced bread" just yet... He may have a great YPC and such, but he has GOT to learn to hang on to the ****ed ball... That being said, I'll cut him some slack last night... It was the first live action this year, and he's already dealing with a toe injury... But it has got to stop... Period...
    -----------------------------

8/15/2010
    Steelers' running backs still can't hold onto the football
    By F. Dale Lolley, Staff writer dlolley@observer-reporter.com

PITTSBURGH - The Steelers spent the offseason and early part of training camp working on improving a rushing attack that ranked 19th in the league last year.

The early returns weren't all that impressive as Pittsburgh's top two running backs, Rashard Mendenhall and Mewelde Moore, combined for just four yards on six carries.

Mendenhall and Moore, the only two running backs on the roster who have an NFL carry the past two seasons, fumbled the football in Pittsburgh's preseason game Saturday night here at Heinz Field against the Detroit Lions.

The Steelers recovered both fumbles, but it was an inauspicious start for the running game.

"We kind of shot ourselves in the foot some there," head coach Mike Tomlin said.

Third-string running back Isaac Redman also was charged with a fumble in the second quarter before replays following a challenge by Tomlin reversed the call.

Redman, who broke a 31-yard run in the second quarter, finished the first half with 45 yards on eight carries. He also scored the Steelers' first touchdown, a one-yard plunge with 1:39 remaining to play in the first half.

Redman, who gained 145 yards on 37 carries in the preseason for the Steelers in 2009, was a workhorse again Saturday night. He gained 60 yards on 15 carries against Detroit's backups.

[HIGH-LIGHT]LeBeau honored[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau was honored by both teams prior to the coin toss for being named to the Pro Football Hall of Fame last week.

LeBeau played his entire 14-year NFL career for the Lions and is entering his 12 season - covering two separate stints - with the Steelers.

Both teams walked out to the opposing 45-yard lines while LeBeau went to midfield to the thunderous applause of the Heinz Field crowd.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, placekicker Jeff Reed, linebacker Keyaron Fox, wide receiver Hines Ward and linebacker James Farrior represented the Steelers as team captains for the coin toss.

[HIGH-LIGHT]Odds and end zones[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Rookie Maurkice Pouncey, the Steelers' top draft pick, entered the game on the third offensive series at center, replacing starter Justin Hartwig. Second-year pro Ramon Foster also entered at that time, at right tackle in place of Flozell Adams. ... Detroit linebacker Jordon Dizon left the game in the first half with a knee injury and did not return. ... Cornerback Anthony Madison forced Detroit running back DeDe Dorsey to fumble early in the third quarter and safety Da'mon Cromartie-Smith recovered at the Pittsburgh 7 to end the Lions' opening possession of the second half. ... Attendance was announced at 55,248, but just a fraction of that remained following a lightning delay of more than an hour in the second quarter.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/...Lions-notebook
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 440

Default Re: RBs still can't hold onto the football

Mendy simply can't hold onto the ball away from his body like that, hopefully this is something that will be addressed before the real games begin.

Threads : 82

Two things that annoy the **** out of me is dwelling on fumbles and interceptions. Everyone turns the ball over at one time or another. Mendy is going to get a lot of carries and he is going to drop them. I am not worried about it. You have to over come that ****. It's almost good he does it in the first preseason game because it gets him thinking about it early. Hopefully not in a damaging way and effecting his running but just be mindful of it. Moving on.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mendy simply can't hold onto the ball away from his body like that, hopefully this is something that will be addressed before the real games begin.
    I think he's always done that, at least from what I've seen... Yea, he racks-up some decent numbers, but the "fumble" issue could be a factor during "real games", as you said...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 60

You would think at this level of football he would have learned or burned into his form that, he has to protect the ball. I see this being an issue with him that will plague both him and the team.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    I think he's always done that, at least from what I've seen... Yea, he racks-up some decent numbers, but the "fumble" issue could be a factor during "real games", as you said...
    It will effect real games though. They all fumble. You have to gave a good enough team to overcome turnovers plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    They all fumble. You have to gave a good enough team to overcome turnovers plain and simple.
    But they "all" do not fumble as much as Mendy... Yea, you gotta have a good enough team to overcome it, but you can't put them behind the 8-ball as much.... IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    But they "all" do not fumble as much as Mendy... Yea, you gotta have a good enough team to overcome it, but you can't put them behind the 8-ball as much.... IMO...
    Not all if them but how many will get as many carries as Mendy? Aren't many teams using a feature back anymore. Pretty small sample size so far too.

Threads : 440

It will effect real games though. They all fumble. You have to gave a good enough team to overcome turnovers plain and simple.

what's that old football saying?

"Whoever wins the battle of the turnovers, is going to win the game."

Not all if them but how many will get as many carries as Mendy? Aren't many teams using a feature back anymore. Pretty small sample size so far too.
    I dunno, man.... He had issues with it his rookie year (they made fun of it, as he had to carry a ball to every meeting)... It's just something that I personally hate to see... He CANNOT carry the ball as he did in college because this is a level that is so much more "amped-up"... His numbers are good, but there is not a stat for folks to look at that takes into account the detriment of said fumbles... I just don't like it, I may be in the minority, and that's cool, but I really think it will bite us in the *** if he can't overcome it.

He had 3 fumbles last year according to NFL.com. That won't win him any praise but it isn't horrible. Adrian Peterson had 6 last year. Me I dunno 3 is acceptable. More than that an I'll be *****ing too. I really don't think it's a concern. O-line, Arians, DBs, ST, those are concerns. Gotta remember too this kid is young and still not peaked yet. I'm just not jumping off a bridge and calling off my SB party because he fumbled in pre season game one.

Gotta remember too this kid is young and still not peaked yet. I'm just not jumping off a bridge and calling off my SB party because he fumbled in pre season game one.
    Not an option... He's being handed the reigns as the "man" in our running game... He better grow up quick... No excuses if he wants the glory.

... And I'm by no means cancelling any parties (I'll never cancell a party) because of what I interpreted from the first game, which I didn't even see... But it is something to watch...

Well if ain't getting it then #33 is going to steam roll some *****es!

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ah... it was rainy.... Maybe Mendy needs to do what John Madden said Mark Brunell use to do... Madden said, "Mark Brunell usually likes to soak his balls before a rainy game."

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information