Thread: Rough start for Flozell Adams

Threads : 440

Default Rough start for Flozell Adams

Rough start for Flozell Adams

Posted by Mike Florio on August 14, 2010

So I've got the KDKA feed with Lions-Steelers next to the NFL.com Preseason Live window, and for a second I thought that KDKA had preempted football for bullfighting.

As it turns out, it was merely Steelers tackle Flozell Adams, playing the role of Eduardo Carrochio. And Lions defensive end Cliff Avril was playing the role of the bull.

Flozell managed to get a couple of hands on Avril, but the veteran had no chance at stopping Avril, who blew past Adams and sacked quarterback Byron Leftwich. Whether Flozell merely is adjusting to the flip from left to right or has simply lost it, the Steelers need him to step up, or he'll be cut before his $2.5 million base salary in 2010 becomes guaranteed as of Week 1.

Given that Adams received no signing bonus, the Steelers surely wouldn't hesitate to cut him loose.

The good news for Adams is that he recovered a fumble from tailback Rashard Mendenhall. The bad news for Adams is that he wasn't signed to recover fumbles -- he was signed to keep the quarterback from getting blown up.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ell-adams/

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Rough start for Flozell Adams

... It's starting to look like Dallas knew what they were doing by letting him go... But I still want to see more than just the 1st preseason game before I definitevely make that statement.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 60

He looked his age out there but again, one preseason and playing opposite from left tackle. That being said, if he lost his edge at his comfort position, why would he do any beter playing right tackle ? I think he is a reach to solving our problems. Just how bad are our projected linemen that were the right guard backups ?

Threads : 277

It's one game; give him a chance to get comfortable.

I am sure that speed rushers will give him some trouble but if he can bulldoze holes for the running game, I can forgive him.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Slozell just doesn't instill much confidence in me. Reminds me of Orlando Pace from last year. Granted it was one game, but had he been in there for four quarters, Tyler Palko would be starting next week.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Blozell I am dubbing him. He is just a slow lumbering big *** dood. LB's are going to fly by him. When he gets frustrated watch out for all the penalties that Colon is known for and more. Yeah of course Dallas knew what they were doing but unfortunately we didn't have much choice. If you can find a better option please let the Steelers know asap. He was the one to fall on that Mendy fumble tho right? At least he did something.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll give him a couple more games to get situated and hopefully rejuvenated. If we are going to potentially be running the ball more while Ben is out, he should still be able to move bodies out of the way.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll give him some more time to get used to his position. It's not easy moving from one side to another especially after playing all of your mostly pro bowl career on the left. He's got to get used to push off for leverage on a different leg, different arm, his footwork has to be the opposite of what it was. Difficult. Let's hope he improves

..but after one game... He real;ly looked his name should be "Slowzell Adams".
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 0
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I suppose for me it all depends on how many teams running a 4-3 have speed rushers on their left side (they are usually on the right correct?), before I get too worried about Adams.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by joeyhurricane View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I suppose for me it all depends on how many teams running a 4-3 have speed rushers on their left side (they are usually on the right correct?), before I get too worried about Adams.
    Good question. Off the top of my head nobody from Atlanta, Tampa Bay and Tennessee jump out.

That's a solid point however. Slowzell might be old and such but he's a former pro bowler he should be able to hold his own against the lesser types...

wouild have to look at the rest of the schedule to see who else we play and could be the DT on that side or OLB
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 60

You never know, just being with another team might spark something out of him and it was only one game at a nem position with a new team. I never thought I would miss the days of Colon.

He's pretty much just a one year Guy anyway, never gave much thought to the fact that he was switching from the left to the right side.

Threads : 29

When the actual season starts they'll have to game plan to give him some help. I doubt they are doing that now.

Having said that there will still be times he needs to win one on one battles. I wasn't confident in him when they signed him and it isn't getting any better.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information