Thread: Lolley's "post Detroit" thoughts

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Lolley's "post Detroit" thoughts

From Dale Lolley's blog....
    ----------

Sunday, August 15, 2010
    Post-Detroit thoughts

The Steelers could not have been happy with the way their running backs were putting the ball on the ground against Detroit Saturday night.

Rashard Mendenhall's fumble is one that should not have happened. If it doesn't, he rips off a 30-yard gain if he doesn't take it for a touchdown. Instead, Mendenhall was carrying the ball very loosely.

Head coach Mike Tomlin yanked Mendenhall out of the game on the second series and his backup, Mewelde Moore, promptly put one on the ground as well.

For a team that will be hoping to bide its time with Byron Leftwich at quarterback, those kind of drive killers can't happen.

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT] Isaac Redman is working his way into a roster spot and Jonathan Dwyer could find himself on the outside looking in.

It must be noted, however, that much of Redman's work came against backups.

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT] Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett both made nice plays in the end zone on 6-5 receiver Calvin Johnson.

Lewis was later beaten for a TD by Johnson, but it appeared to me that Johnson pushed off on the play.

Still, a touchdown is a touchdown.

Lewis shouldn't feel too badly about that, though. Johnson's an all-world talent.

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT] Let's not get too giddy over Dennis Dixon's final numbers being better than those of Leftwich.

There isn't a quarterback controversy in Pittsburgh - yet.

Dixon played pretty well. But as we saw Saturday night, he's quick to tuck the ball and try to run.

That may work against Detroit's backups. But remember that Detroit went 2-14 last season. How good can the Lions' backups be?

Plus, a lot of Dixon's passing yards were due to great runs after the catch by Arnaz Battle and Antonio Brown.

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT] Speaking of Battle and Brown, there may be no more difficult cut for the Steelers than at wide receiver.

That is why I have been saying for weeks that Stefan Logan has no shot of making this team.

We didn't get to see Brown or third-round draft pick Emmanuel Sanders in the return game, but that will be coming next week.

And with Antwaan Randle El and Burnett also capable of working in the return game, keeping a one-trick pony like Logan won't be possible.

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT] I was a little surprised the Steelers didn't try Daniel Sepulveda on kickoffs. Then again, Jeff Reed's kickoffs were pretty good in this one.

You know what they say about a little competition.

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT] One of the things the coaching staff had to be happiest with was the fact the Steelers were penalized just two times for 25 yards. Detroit, on the other hand, had 11 for 88 yards.

That means the young guys weren't overwhelmed by the experience of playing in their first preseason game.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 440

Default Re: Lolley's "post Detroit" thoughts

the only chance i see of Logan making this team is if he takes a kickoff to the house, last night's returns were fairly unspectacular and won't help him in making the team.

i believe we keep 6 WRs this year: Ward, Wallace, Randle-El, Sanders, Battle and Brown and that Logan will be released.

If he doesn't do anything spectacular, they could always have one of the "borderline cut" WRs try it during camp... "Multifunctional tools" are always better efficient-wise than uni-taskers...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 440

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he doesn't do anything spectacular, they could always have one of the "borderline cut" WRs try it during camp... "Multifunctional tools" are always better efficient-wise than uni-taskers...

position flexibility has always been an important criteria for Tomlin...i'll bet you Sanders and Brown will be given a shot at returning kicks next week.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    position flexibility has always been an important criteria for Tomlin...i'll bet you Sanders and Brown will be given a shot at returning kicks next week.
    ... If Brown has a couple more outings like last night, it will be Sanders looking to keep a position IMO... But again, I didn't watch the game last night.

Threads : 60

I know it's early to suggest things like this or to look negative at things but hey, it's pre-season and I'll throw a couple logs onto the fire until we start the real season. The real season being, when Ben is starting.

I think Fox should be starting over Farrior. I'm a huge farrior fan and will take title to saying, " I believe I was one of Farriors first Steeler fan because I saw the talent in him. " Fox to me just seems to be more aggresive, faster to the play and I'm sure that has something to do with his youth. In any event Fox, should get more playing time, start spelling Farrior at the minimum and strongly be considered as the starter.

When Detroits first team was pinned back at their goal line and our first defense allowed them to rush and get some yardage/space and I know we stopped them from the first down I, did have flash backs of last years pre-season. If you recall teams were running all over our first team "D" during last years pre-season and it looked like a little of the same yesterday.
    I know it's just one game but these were the Lions, a team that hasn't had a lot to crow about.
    I know, I know we stopped them and you can't hold everyone to no yardage but, it did cross my mind if we are going to be average as last season with our defense.

Threads : 277

If Brown and Sanders shine, won't the Steelers seriously conisder dorpping ARE??

I am sure he has guaranteed money from his two year deal, but why risk losing young talent. (I am assuming Battle stays based on his special teams play.)

Threads : 182

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    I know it's early to suggest things like this or to look negative at things but hey, it's pre-season and I'll throw a couple logs onto the fire until we start the real season. The real season being, when Ben is starting.

I think Fox should be starting over Farrior. I'm a huge farrior fan and will take title to saying, " I believe I was one of Farriors first Steeler fan because I saw the talent in him. " Fox to me just seems to be more aggresive, faster to the play and I'm sure that has something to do with his youth. In any event Fox, should get more playing time, start spelling Farrior at the minimum and strongly be considered as the starter.

When Detroits first team was pinned back at their goal line and our first defense allowed them to rush and get some yardage/space and I know we stopped them from the first down I, did have flash backs of last years pre-season. If you recall teams were running all over our first team "D" during last years pre-season and it looked like a little of the same yesterday.
    I know it's just one game but these were the Lions, a team that hasn't had a lot to crow about.
    I know, I know we stopped them and you can't hold everyone to no yardage but, it did cross my mind if we are going to be average as last season with our defense.
    I get very very tired of fumbles ..mendenhall. He fumbles against the vikes and makes that game close (thank goodness for tipped balls) and he fumbles in the preseason. The very 1st game. Come on Man! What have you been doing all summer you need to learn to hold onto the football. Tomlin needs to be hard with Rashard. I told him personally at the TC at Latrobe HS don't lose the football this year as he was signing my football which he took out of my hands and turned around so he could get a better grip on it. This guy really needs to do a better job of holding onto it. I was pleased with the 2nd yr corner who played against CJ. I thought CJ pushed off too.
    The OL needs some work indeed. Maybe they'll play better on grass where the footspeed to the QB by the DL won't be as fast.

lets see I think these are the fields we play on.

Grass: Browns/bengals 4 games grass, & home ravens game
    @ravens/@saints - turf
    grass: falcons/jets/raiders/@titans/@dolphins/@bucs/pats/panthers/@bills -
    I'm pretty sure except for the bills..can anyone verify?
    Last edited by steel0710; Aug-15-2010 at 09:52 PM.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by steel0710 View Post
    I get very very tired of fumbles ..mendenhall. He fumbles against the vikes and makes that game close (thank goodness for tipped balls) and he fumbles in the preseason. The very 1st game. Come on Man! What have you been doing all summer you need to learn to hold onto the football. Tomlin needs to be hard with Rashard. I told him personally at the TC at Latrobe HS don't lose the football this year as he was signing my football which he took out of my hands and turned around so he could get a better grip on it. This guy really needs to do a better job of holding onto it. I was pleased with the 2nd yr corner who played against CJ. I thought CJ pushed off too.
    The OL needs some work indeed. Maybe they'll play better on grass where the footspeed to the QB by the DL won't be as fast.

lets see I think these are the fields we play on.

Grass: Browns/bengals 4 games grass, & home ravens game
    @ravens/@saints - turf
    grass: falcons/jets/raiders/@titans/@dolphins/@bucs/pats/panthers/@bills -
    I'm pretty sure except for the bills..can anyone verify?
    Mendenhall fumbled 3 times last season. He doesn't have a problem
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Let's not get too giddy over Dennis Dixon's final numbers being better than those of Leftwich.

There isn't a quarterback controversy in Pittsburgh - yet.

Dixon played pretty well. But as we saw Saturday night, he's quick to tuck the ball and try to run.

That may work against Detroit's backups. But remember that Detroit went 2-14 last season. How good can the Lions' backups be?

Plus, a lot of Dixon's passing yards were due to great runs after the catch by Arnaz Battle and Antonio Brown.
    $$$$

I was a little surprised the Steelers didn't try Daniel Sepulveda on kickoffs. Then again, Jeff Reed's kickoffs were pretty good in this one.

You know what they say about a little competition.
    A lot of us were surprised by this watching the game. I';m surprised that Lolley gave Reed credit. The only timer Reed was kicking well was with the wind behind him. Without the wind we got the Jeff Reed specials landing between the 8-10 yard lines. I thought they would have Sepulveda kick more in the 2nd half but guess not.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information