Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PuckStopsHere is a Window Licking Retard !!

Threads : 271
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default PuckStopsHere is a Window Licking Retard !!

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...act_to_regret/

The Puck Stops Here

A Contract To Regret

by PuckStopsHere on 08/15/10 at 04:59 PM ET
    Comments (2)

Every summer the NHL GMs rush to hand out big contracts to a group of free agent players that they hope will be the future of their franchises. Some work out to be good signings, but many do not. When a player signed to a longer-term contract worth a significant amount of money does not work out it can be a problem that handcuffs the franchise into the future. I think that one such situation this year is the Pittsburgh Penguins signing of Zbynek Michalek, formerly of the Phoenix Coyotes, to a five year contract worth $20 million in total.

Michalek has been with Phoenix since the lockout year and played a regular shift on their defence. He frequently plays against relatively tough competition and has far more defensive zone starts than offensive ones. Accordingly, his offensive contribution has never been significant. He scored 17 points last year and has a career best of 28, which he got in 2006/07.

Michalek is a defenceman who provides most of his value from defensive play. Nobody has ever suggested that he is a star player. He usually puts up +/- ratings that after adjustment are in the negative, but this is often explained away because he plays a tougher role on his team.

In his favor as he hit free agency this summer is the fact that he is 27 years old and this makes him a relatively young free agent. It is not unreasonable to expect that his best might be yet to come or at the very least that he is still a few years from decline. Also in his favor is the fact that he played on the Phoenix Coyotes this year and Phoenix had a Cinderella-type year. The team won fourth seed in the West Conference despite the uncertainty of their financial condition, as they came out of bankruptcy. The team’s improvement was largely a defensive one and thus hard to quantify. Anyone who may have been related to it got looked at more positively than they probably should have. Dave Tippett was a runaway coach of the year, Don Maloney was the NHL’s first GM of the year and Ilya Bryzgalov was considered a Hart Trophy candidate. That is too much credit given individually for a team improvement that failed to win their division or a playoff round. In the process, Zbynek Michalek got overvalued. He was one of the better defencemen on a much improved team, but he is no star.

When we look closely at his numbers from last year, we see that Michalek had the 10th worst team and zone adjusted Corsi rating in the NHL last year. This isn’t a one year fluke. Michalek has a history of poor puck possession numbers.

Michalek’s game is not a puck possession one. He plays in defensive situations and often penalty kills. He plays against some of the better players in the league. However, he does not stop them from controlling the puck, taking shots and scoring goals against his team. His reputation has grown largely because it is hard to quantify what he does and he was in the right place at the right time for a significantly improved team last year. That is coupled with his relatively young age to make him look like a top pick from the 2010 free agent crop. Many teams made offers to Michalek and Pittsburgh was the one who made the offer he accepted. The auction for his services drove the price up above the level he is likely to provide the team. I strongly doubt that he will provide Pittsburgh with $20 million in value over the next five years. I think that most likely he will be an extra defenceman who has not played well enough to be on their top pairing and people will wonder why Ray Shero gave him the big contract that he did. Michalek will be a big salary cap hit that limits Pittsburgh’s flexibility and may become a buyout candidate.

I do not think that the Zbynek Michalek signing will work out.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: PuckStopsHere is a Window Licking Retard !!

If Shero didn't think he was worth the $20 mill, he wouldn't have gotten it. If Shero didn't think he would fit the system, he wouldn't have signed him. If Shero thought signing Zybnet would have hindered payroll flexibility, the Guy wouldn't be here. Everyone thinks they're a GM.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Shero didn't think he was worth the $20 mill, he wouldn't have gotten it. If Shero didn't think he would fit the system, he wouldn't have signed him. If Shero thought signing Zybnet would have hindered payroll flexibility, the Guy wouldn't be here. Everyone thinks they're a GM.
    Ray Shero thought Alexei Ponikarovsky was worth trading Luca Caputi or worth trading for in general. Ray Shero thought Mils Ekman had talent etc...

Every GM makes bad and horrible decisions. They make good ones too.

I agree with this writer to an extent. I think they overpaid for Michalek (his skill set for the team) and have felt that since day 1. Then he brought up a good point that I had completely forgotten about -

When we look closely at his numbers from last year, we see that Michalek had the 10th worst team and zone adjusted Corsi rating in the NHL last year. This isn’t a one year fluke. Michalek has a history of poor puck possession numbers.
    This was one big thing I was yold from a couple of Coyotes fans I talked to a week or 2 ago. Michalek is very Rob Scuderi like with the puck except that while Scuderi was forced to do everything on his backhand, Michalek is as bad on his forehand. He doesn't make good passes, good reads and the best decisions with the puck... Tough to justify a $5 million per salary on a guy with zero offensive ability who could be a solid defender hitting his peak years.

Basically it's a gamble with Michalek in that we'll get $20 million worth of value and performance out of him. I hope we do Doesn't mean it's a guarantee. Ray Shero's decisions have been far from guarantees, this is just one of the more pricey ones.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

EHHH MT was a Big Problem with Ekman!! MT didn't like Ekman at all & ONCE & FOR ALL Caputi is a TURD who is going to have to improve greatly to be Poni or Fedostinko !!

Quote Originally Posted by Evilpens View Post
    EHHH MT was a Big Problem with Ekman!! MT didn't like Ekman at all & ONCE & FOR ALL Caputi is a TURD who is going to have to improve greatly to be Poni or Fedostinko !!
    Ekman sucked. Was no issue with Therrien. Can't [polish a turd. He was a terrible signing by shero.

ONE AND FOR ALL Caputi > Ponikaorvosky. Ponikarovsky was a terrible trade deadline decision. While the mass of Pens fans were blindly blowing Ray Shero for the trade I sat like this for 10 minutes. Luca Caputi fit in with the Pens more than Ponikarovski ever was going to. It was the waste of a prospect with some trade value on a bum.

In Shero I Trust In Craig Patrick's team I trust. (Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Gologoski, Fleury, Orpik, Talbot ...)

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Ekman sucked. Was no issue with Therrien. Can't [polish a turd. He was a terrible signing by shero.

ONE AND FOR ALL Caputi > Ponikaorvosky. Ponikarovsky was a terrible trade deadline decision. While the mass of Pens fans were blindly blowing Ray Shero for the trade I sat like this for 10 minutes. Luca Caputi fit in with the Pens more than Ponikarovski ever was going to. It was the waste of a prospect with some trade value on a bum.

In Shero I Trust In Craig Patrick's team I trust. (Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Gologoski, Fleury, Orpik, Talbot ...)

Caputi is & always was a TURD !! when people in the Organization leak to the Media about how good a prospect is that is for other GM's & Organizations to buy into the Hype, Notice they aren't Hyping the hell out of Tangradi, to the point where some are saying that the Organization is going to let him start in WB/S

He was a 4th Rd. Pick for the same reason that he is STILL a Borderline NHLer at best he can't skate, Too weak & spends to much time on his *** & knees

Threads : 0
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

When it comes to Ekman it was a worthwhile gamble at the time. The guy had two pretty solid seasons in San Jose bookending the lockout, and did alright in sweden during the lockout. So at the time a 2nd for Ekman and a thrown in depth goalie wasnt all that bad then just didnt work out well here.

But...lol at the comments in the article haha.

Caputi is & always was a TURD !! when people in the Organization leak to the Media about how good a prospect is that is for other GM's & Organizations to buy into the Hype, Notice they aren't Hyping the hell out of Tangradi, to the point where some are saying that the Organization is going to let him start in WB/S

I hope you didn't waste an entire roll of tin foil to construct that hat

Caputi didn't get anymore hype than Tangradi is getting. No idea where you are getting that from. Either way it's all still a bunch of Conspiracy Theory stuff

He was a 4th Rd. Pick for the same reason that he is STILL a Borderline NHLer at best he can't skate, Too weak & spends to much time on his *** & knees

He's more physical than Ponikarovsky, goes to the net and plays well on the boards. Caputi's scoring topuch and hands were and are a question at the NHL level but it's not like he was traded but someone that had those things. Ray traded Caputi for a softer version that can't backcheck and had no hands, little vision and a poor shot.
    I'll repeat... it was a Bad and Dumb trade that did nothing for us. We'd be better off with Caputi than having traded him for a big pile of cow waste like Ponikarovsky.. at least we could use Caputi in perhaps another trade that could bring back some value.

There's a lot of Borderline NHL players playing in the NHL. I guess we can blame that on expansion and watering down the talent pool Ponikarovsky is one of them as well. Drafted in the 4th Round.

We wouldn't be having this discussion of Ray Shero (in another bad decision) didn't allow Matt Moulson to walk for no good reason. He'd be looking good along side Sid or Geno at the age of 26 potting 30+ goals for $2.4 million

Quote Originally Posted by joeyhurricane View Post
    When it comes to Ekman it was a worthwhile gamble at the time. The guy had two pretty solid seasons in San Jose bookending the lockout, and did alright in sweden during the lockout. So at the time a 2nd for Ekman and a thrown in depth goalie wasnt all that bad then just didnt work out well here.

But...lol at the comments in the article haha.
    A lot of people were very skeptical of both Ekman at that time as a leech but also of that Sharks offense too. Now remember this before the Ray Shero hype that exploded when he traded for Hossa. Prior to that people were still questioning his decisions instead of having blind faith I'm trying to really remember some of the stuff that was said about Ekman. I remember I lot of people not liking him for a couple of reasons.

But regardless... Ekman was a big time bust so it was a bad move since decisions like this are graded on end results

This list of bad signings, drafts and trades is pretty lengthy for Ray Shero. In his 5 Offseasons + with the Pens he's built nice 3rd and 4th lines

I'll repeat... it was a Bad and Dumb trade that did nothing for us. We'd be better off with Caputi than having traded him for a big pile of cow waste like Ponikarovsky.. at least we could use Caputi in perhaps another trade that could bring back some value.

There's a lot of Borderline NHL players playing in the NHL. I guess we can blame that on expansion and watering down the talent pool Ponikarovsky is one of them as well. Drafted in the 4th Round.

[HIGH-LIGHT]We wouldn't be having this discussion of Ray Shero (in another bad decision) didn't allow Matt Moulson to walk for no good reason. He'd be looking good along side Sid or Geno at the age of 26 potting 30+ goals for $2.4 million
    [/HIGH-LIGHT]

OHHHH UMMMM you forgot the 3 years in L.A. where he did NOTHING !!!!!http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=71387
    Last edited by Evilpens; Aug-16-2010 at 02:19 PM.

[/HIGH-LIGHT]

OHHHH UMMMM you forgot the 3 years in L.A. where he did NOTHING !!!!!http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=71387
    UMMMMMM?? look at his minor league numbers. We let him walk after college. His developmental years WERE ALL in the Kings org he put up very good offensive numbers like most of us that followed him expected him to do. He was the one prospect I was most excited about and they frickin' let him walk for nothing

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Moulson would look great in the Pens top 6 right about now. I like Shero though, I think he tries to do the right thing, wether it always works out or not is a different story. Same as any GM in any sport. This past year Poni was a bust, but he had to try and make that move to bring a potential goal scorer in with what he had. Lets let this season play out a little bit before we go calling possibly 1 of the best D men out there on the open market that he nabbed "busts". They've improved where they needed to IMHO. Defense. 5th in Goals for and 20th against last season. Watch how much better Fleury is this year with a better D around him.

PS. Kip, I would take anything of what some Coyotes fans told you with a grain of salt. They're still trying to figure out waht "icing" is ...

Threads : 1
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree with Kipper 100%. Your posts were the most objective in the thread.

UMMMMMM?? look at his minor league numbers. We let him walk after college. His developmental years WERE ALL in the Kings org he put up very good offensive numbers like most of us that followed him expected him to do. He was the one prospect I was most excited about and they frickin' let him walk for nothing
    Oh Boy he was Chris Conner with the Kings, WOW !!! If he was SOOO good With the Kings AHL team why didn't they resign him ???

He started off on fire with the Isles the 1st half of the season & then the 2nd half was next to nothing

Quote Originally Posted by jmd View Post
    Moulson would look great in the Pens top 6 right about now. I like Shero though, I think he tries to do the right thing, wether it always works out or not is a different story. Same as any GM in any sport. This past year Poni was a bust, but he had to try and make that move to bring a potential goal scorer in with what he had. Lets let this season play out a little bit before we go calling possibly 1 of the best D men out there on the open market that he nabbed "busts". They've improved where they needed to IMHO. Defense. 5th in Goals for and 20th against last season. Watch how much better Fleury is this year with a better D around him.

PS. Kip, I would take anything of what some Coyotes fans told you with a grain of salt. They're still trying to figure out waht "icing" is ...
    To be honest jmd... i take what ANY fan says with a grain of salt

Your best offense is your defense.

While our goals against was high, we were ranked 6th in the NHL in shots against and had a Top 10 Penalty Kill. We aren't giving up a lot of chances and at some point we need our franchise goalie to step up and finally be that. I've been giving the guy the benefit of the doubt for years but he's got more than enough experience now and his save percentage is simply unacceptable especially when we are DEFENSIVELY preventing a lot of shots from coming through and keeping the puck in the offensive zone.

Like you said, every GM tries to do the right thing, some get hammered for failures, some are given credit for failures and things they haven't done. Ray Shero is that GM. He's given blind faith and credit for doing nothing more than than the simple task of keeping Craig Patrick's team together and hitting in Free Agency and Trades maybe MAYBE 50% of the time. I have a feeling I'm being generous with that number. As for keeping Craig Patricks team together... I don't think he would've been allowed to tear it apart anyways since I can't see Mario approving of it.

I just hate the blind faith crap. "In Shero we trust" makes me want to hurl especially since it's been built on 2 things..

1. Winning a Stanley Cup with Craig Patricks team.
    2. Pulling off a surprise trade for Marian Hossa.

The guy just hasn't impressed me to the levels of others. People see a team "win" and have success and then exaggerate and lift others on higher pedestals than they shou8ld or give more credit than one should recieve, give more blame than one deserves etc...

I need a beer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information