Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is it?

Threads : 87
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Why is it?

That the Steelers rarely go after free agents, but when they do, they usually suck.

I.E..... Blozell, Mahan, Staley...etc.

Here's one for you talent gurus. Name the last 10 or so free agent pick ups made by the Steelers, then list how many turned out to be any good.

Threads : 691

Default Re: Why is it?

Well.maybe not in the last 10,but Jeff Hartings and James Farrior were pretty good.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by kinsar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That the Steelers rarely go after free agents, but when they do, they usually suck.

Here's one for you talent gurus. Name the last 10 or so free agent pick ups made by the Steelers, then list how many turned out to be any good.
    For the same reasons that the Redskins annually suck, the 2010 Seattle Mariners suck etc...

I've been saying it for a while now... nobody wants to believe it but... Free Agency in football (and Baseball) is filled with nothing but aging has-been's and high risk guys. Free Agency is really nothing more than a spot to desperately fill a hole but you can't expect to be filling a hole with more than a wet chewed piece of Bubblegum.

This is why you don't see the Pittsburgh Steelers play in free Agency usually. This is why you take the time and years to properly build through the Draft and you put all of your marbles and emphasis on scouting and drafting and build your teams cores and such with the draft.

The New England Patriots are really one of the few teams I can think of (2009 Jets) that have had some success the past decade plucking guys in free agency and for cheap and getting good production from them.

I'd rather the Steelers avoid Free Agency as much as possible. You said it, just look at the results.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    Well.maybe not in the last 10,but Jeff Hartings and James Farrior were pretty good.
    I think they were both the last 10

We've let go of a lot of players too. It surprises me how little we've gotten for players. we generally let them just walk instead of working out nice trades. Trades in general aren't something big in the NFL for whatever reason

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I think they were both the last 10

We've let go of a lot of players too. It surprises me how little we've gotten for players. we generally let them just walk instead of working out nice trades. Trades in general aren't something big in the NFL for whatever reason
    Why would a team trade when they can roll the dice on a player going to the open market? That's the rule more than the exception any more. They can sign a player on the open market and not lose players or draft picks. It's a win/win for teams trolling the open market for players instead of developing their own talent.

FWIW, I think the flip side to FA is true for the Steelers as well. How many guys have we allowed to walk in the FA era whose careers actually improved after they left. Not many. For the most part, we get the best out of the players we let walk.
    buckeyehoppy 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Pick-em' Contest Champion and 2013 Finalist!

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Would Ryan Clark fit into this category?....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Would Ryan Clark fit into this category?....
    Kind of. I suppose so. With him we sort of just offset a loss (Chris Hope due to $$$$$) but I would include him

Threads : 440

over the years, the Pittsburgh Steelers have acquired some very good players in free agency. looking back 20 years instead of your 10, some of our FAs have been:

Kevin Greene, Jeff Hartings, James Farrior, Ryan Clark, Kimo von Oelhoffen, Mewelde Moore, Duval Love, Ray Seals, Wayne Gandy, Norm Johnson and Mike Tomczak.

that's a pretty good group of Steelers players...

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    over the years, the Pittsburgh Steelers have acquired some very good players in free agency. looking back 20 years instead of your 10, some of our FAs have been:

Kevin Greene, Jeff Hartings, James Farrior, Ryan Clark, Kimo von Oelhoffen, Mewelde Moore, Duval Love, Ray Seals, Wayne Gandy, Norm Johnson and Mike Tomczak.

Ehhh @ Mewelde Moore He's a serviceable player but hardly someone I o0wuld consider good or someone that is a great signing cause there's a ton of Moore types out there (3rd down backs in limited roles)

but yeah,. we did do better in the 90's. I remember all of those 90's FA moves and don't forget about the Bettis trade as well ...

we've just hit more 50/50 in the past 10 years which is why you avoid free agency for the most part. Let the Washington Redskins try to build a team with 50/50 at best results

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kind of. I suppose so. With him we sort of just offset a loss (Chris Hope due to $$$$$) but I would include him
    Would rather have Clarkie. Chris Hope hits like a Nerf bat. Ryan Clark hits like a Mack Truck. That's the difference.
    buckeyehoppy 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Pick-em' Contest Champion and 2013 Finalist!

I guess that would speak for draft rather than free agency. If you aren't making high draft picks then the contracts are reasonable, if your having success at a 50/50 rate. Most free agents are coming with a hefty price tag as compared to mid to late round draft guys. If both pan out at a comparable rate than free agency is a huge waste of money, right?

I hate to say it, but isn't that what those ****ing New England Chetriots do. Trade guys for a bunch of draft picks and then play the odds of getting good players out of the mass of picks they get.

Threads : 440

Ehhh @ Mewelde Moore He's a serviceable player but hardly someone I o0wuld consider good or someone that is a great signing cause there's a ton of Moore types out there (3rd down backs in limited roles)

the reason why i included Mewelde Moore is because he really did play an important role during our last Super Bowl season...without him filling in so effectively at RB we might have one less Lombardi.

Threads : 29

Quote Originally Posted by kinsar View Post

I think you're just focusing on the negative. We don't sign many FAs but mos tof the ones we do are contributors.

Flozell was only brought in because Colon blew out his Achilles. It was desperation to be quite honest.

Threads : 91
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

Don't forget about Duce Staley.

He was the best sweatsuit model in Steelers history.
    "Nice catch, Hayes. Don't ever ****in' do it again." -Lou Brown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information