Thread: Arians: Big Ben to play in 2nd preseason game

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Arians: Big Ben to play in 2nd preseason game

This really isn't any big suprise, but it at least takes the speculation out of the picture...
    ---------------

Arians: Big Ben to play in 2nd preseason game
    By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Monday, August 16, 2010

It looks like there won't be any suspense regarding quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's status for the Steelers' second preseason game.

"Ben's going to play this week," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said Monday.

The Steelers visit the New York Giants at 7 p.m. Saturday.

Coach Mike Tomlin didn't commit to playing Roethlisberger, who's suspended for at least the first four games of the regular season, against the Giants.

"I'm hoping I'll get in," Roethlisberger said. "I'm not sure when, but I'll take any (playing) time, whatever coach gives me."

Despite his best lobbying efforts, Roethlisberger didn't play in the Steelers' 23-7 win over the Detroit Lions last Saturday.

Tomlin has had to juggle getting two quarterbacks ready to play while Roethlisberger is suspended and also getting the two-time Super Bowl winner enough work during the preseason.

The situation is such a unique one that quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner shrugged when asked how many snaps Roethlisberger needs in the Steelers' final three preseason games.

"We've talked about it," Fichtner said. "I don't know what the number is. This is probably uncharted waters."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_695200.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Default Re: Arians: Big Ben to play in 2nd preseason game

Steelers Notebook: Roethlisberger will see action against Giants
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

[IMGR]http://i36.tinypic.com/2rmsa4o.jpg[/IMGR]Ben Roethlisberger will play a game for the first time since Jan. 3 when the Steelers visit the New York Giants Saturday night.

While coach Mike Tomlin declined to reveal his plans for Roethlisberger, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians spilled the beans after practice Monday.

"Ben's going to play this week," Arians announced.

When he plays and how much still has not been revealed but Roethlisberger, who led the first team in practice Monday, will likely start against the Giants.

"I hope I get in," Roethlisberger said. "I'm not sure when. I'll take any time."

Roethlisberger expressed no unhappiness about not playing in the preseason opener Saturday against Detoit, although he said he good-naturedly bugged Tomlin "every three plays" to put him in.

Is there a need for a certain amount of time in games for him?

"I don't know if there's a need, how much do I need, whatever. I'll take whatever Coach gives me. Him and I have not talked, and he doesn't make those announcements at team meetings, so I'm sure we'll find out later in the week."

There is speculation that Tomlin will not put him into a game with anyone else but the first-team offense.

"I told Coach put me in with anybody, I don't care, I'm fine with it. I don't know that he feels the same way I do about when I should go in. But it's his call."

[HIGH-LIGHT]Dixon has special plays[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Tomlin and Arians also came as close to acknowledging that Byron Leftwich will open the season as their starting quarterback while Roethlisberger serves his suspension of at least four games. Until now, their actions have pointed that way but they've maintained a public stance that Dennis Dixon was competing for that job.

Instead, they revealed Monday that they have prepared special packages for Dixon, and Arians said they want to use both quarterbacks.

"We've continually worked on a package that's built solely for him not only here in training camp but back in the spring at our place," Tomlin said.

Arians called it a "normal day" at practice.

"Ben was at one, Byron at 2. Dennis has his package, it's not necessarily with the 2s or the 3s, it's a special package. When you play without Ben, you're going to utilize all the players you have. So he'll have a package, and how he plays within that package will determine how much he plays. I'm not against playing both of them."

[HIGH-LIGHT]Dixon: Run, don't run[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Roethlisberger and Arians had different takes on Dixon's running ability and how he did so Saturday night against the Lions, when he ran six times for 31 yards, five of them scrambles out of the pocket.

Said Roethlisberger: "I always tell him to run. 'Pull it down; if your guy's not there, pull it down and take off.'

"He's got something the rest of the quarterbacks in the room don't have. We always joke about that. He can take off running and score on plays that most of us wouldn't even get out of the pocket on. He needs to utilize those talents he has and skills. He's developed so much in just one year and I think he's doing a great job."

But Arians was not happy to see Dixon running against the Lions' backups.

"No, because we had wide open receivers. It's fine to run when there's nobody open but when there are open receivers, get them the ball. That was their down-the-line guys out there chasing him. The front-line guys are a little faster and a little quicker. When he does break it, that's great, but I'd rather see him deliver the ball to his check-downs and other players."

[HIGH-LIGHT]Quick hits[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Roethlisberger heard the cheers from the fans when he took Heinz Field for warm-ups Saturday night. "It's an awesome feeling to run out of the tunnel for warm-ups and hear the fans cheer. It's neat. It meant a lot." ... Two minor injuries surfaced from Saturday's game: running back Jonathan Dwyer (shoulder) and defensive end Brett Keisel (calf). Also, running back Dwayne Wright did not practice Monday because he is ill. All should return soon. ... After fumbles by Rashard Mendenhall and Mewelde Moore against the Lions, the Steelers had a "ball security" drill Monday.

http://postgazette.com/pg/10229/1080515-66.stm
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 60

If Brown can look that good with Dixon throwing to him wait until Ben starts hitting him between the numbers. I'm excited for this kid, hopefully, he is just as productive against the others teams first stringers.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Brown can look that good with Dixon throwing to him wait until Ben starts hitting him between the numbers. I'm excited for this kid, hopefully, he is just as productive against the others teams first stringers.
    Same here... I think our young WRs had a decent showing last Saturday, and hopefully prove to be able to do so all season... And yea, when Ben gets back into the starting lineup, it should be even better IMO.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Dixon has special plays

Tomlin and Arians also came as close to acknowledging that Byron Leftwich will open the season as their starting quarterback while Roethlisberger serves his suspension of at least four games. Until now, their actions have pointed that way but they've maintained a public stance that Dennis Dixon was competing for that job.

Instead, they revealed Monday that they have prepared special packages for Dixon, and Arians said they want to use both quarterbacks.

"We've continually worked on a package that's built solely for him not only here in training camp but back in the spring at our place," Tomlin said.

Arians called it a "normal day" at practice.

"Ben was at one, Byron at 2. Dennis has his package, it's not necessarily with the 2s or the 3s, it's a special package. When you play without Ben, you're going to utilize all the players you have. So he'll have a package, and how he plays within that package will determine how much he plays. I'm not against playing both of them.
    Good that's what I was hoping for. Make the opponent put in extra game planning time and dictate the offensive play. Keeping throwing different things out there. I was hoping that they would use both QB's in Ben's absence and actually hope that they keep using Dixon's legs after Ben comes back in different packages. Again... it keeps defenses on their heels and thinking more than they should. That's always an advantage. We saw what happened when the Steelers D had to think too much last season when Cleveland kept throwing in Josh Cribbs to run wildcats and such

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    But Arians was not happy to see Dixon running against the Lions' backups.

"No, because we had wide open receivers. It's fine to run when there's nobody open but when there are open receivers, get them the ball. That was their down-the-line guys out there chasing him. The front-line guys are a little faster and a little quicker. When he does break it, that's great, but I'd rather see him deliver the ball to his check-downs and other players."
    Translation : Dennis you're a ****ing Quarterback, you're supposed to throw the ball. Issac Redman and Justin Vincent are the running backs. Unless it's a designed play for you to run, running should be a last option. Your goal in a Pre-Season game is to work on things you don't do well like .... throwing the ball with accuracy

The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

From Chris Mack's blog.....

August 17, 2010, 4:19 PM

Less than 48 hours after Dennis Dixon threw himself headlong into what he, and most Steelers fans hope, is a QB controversy, Offensive Coordinator Bruce Arians admitted to us on The Drive that not only do Dixon and Byron Leftwich each have a chance to see the field in the first four games, but they each have what amounts to their own system.

"The other two guys have packages. That's what they practice so there's not a problem with them having to learn 100% of the offense. And I've played two quarterbacks before, so that's no big deal. I don't really care who starts because they're both gonna play. Dennis is a playmaker, if he's not the starter I'm sure people might see him out on the field because he is an explosive player."

Arians then continued to say he could go every other play with his QB rotation if he wanted to.

At the very least, Arians has planted the thought of having to prepare for two quarterbacks in the opposition's head, but you have to consider what that does to his receiver's timing as well.

Hines Ward has said that he'd like to see Dixon get some first team reps, and while the rotating QB idea isn't perfect, Ward - not surprisingly - said after Monday's practice that he will do whatever it takes to win.

"You know, its not our ideal way, but right now with Ben not being able to play the first 4-6 games we want to do whatever it takes to win ballgames. If that's the best way we can go out there and put up points and win ballgames - by running a two QB system - then [so] be it, we have to adjust accordingly to both quarterbacks."

Is that an adjustment that's seriously being considered though when another day went by with ZERO 1st team reps for Dixon. Or is this yet another case of Arians doing his best to work the media for his, and his team's, benefit?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information