Wannstedt encouraged with return of Romeus
Tuesday, August 17, 2010
By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

[IMGL]http://i36.tinypic.com/30wtcls.jpg[/IMGL]Senior defensive end Greg Romeus participated fully in practice for the first time in more than a week Monday. Romeus had been limited because of back spasms and did not play in the team's first scrimmage Saturday afternoon.

Coach Dave Wannstedt was pleased that the reigning Big East co-defensive player of the year was able to practice without any problems after missing so much time last week.

"It was very encouraging this morning with Greg," Wannstedt said Monday night before his team took the field for a rare night workout during camp. "He came out and took every snap in full pads, inside run, team, pass rush. He did everything from start to finish and felt good afterward. We're headed down the right road there."

While Romeus returned after a long absence, several other players were either limited or did not practice in the morning session. They included defensive lineman Myles Caragein, linebacker Tristan Roberts, safety Dom DeCicco, tight end Andrew Devlin and running backs Dion Lewis, Ray Graham and Henry Hynoski. None of the injuries to those players are considered serious.

[HIGH-LIGHT]Scholarship openings[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Another sign that senior walk-on Alex Karabin is close to being named the starter at center: Wannstedt said that he is expecting one or two scholarships to come open before training camp ends, and that Karabin would likely be in line to be awarded one of them.

Karabin, who attended Greensburg Central Catholic, has been a walk-on for the past four seasons.

"We'll cross that bridge in the next week or two," Wannstedt said. "I hope to have one [scholarship] for sure and probably two. He and I have talked. We'll have a discussion here probably at the end of the week or next week."

[HIGH-LIGHT]Night workout[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Wannstedt broke up the practice routine by having a morning practice followed by an evening practice. When the Panthers have two practices in the same day they usually practice in the morning and again in the afternoon.

Wannstedt said he hoped his players took advantage of the long afternoon break.

"The real key to training camp at this point is the attitude," Wannstedt said. "Not letting your mind become weak because of the two-a-days and the soreness and the heat and everything that goes along with camp. Our guys are doing a pretty good job of dealing with it. We decided to come out in the evening. I thought this would break it up a bit, a chance to get under the lights. Hopefully, they took a nap [in the] afternoon and didn't play video games."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10229/1080560-233.stm