Thread: Cubs trade Derrek Lee to Braves

Threads : 691

Default Cubs trade Derrek Lee to Braves

Cubs trade Derrek Lee to BravesEmail Print Comments908 By Bruce Levine
    ESPNChicago.com
    Archive
    The Chicago Cubs traded first baseman Derrek Lee to the Atlanta Braves for three pitching prospects, the team announced Wednesday.

ESPNChicago.com Cubs blog
    The latest news and notes on the Cubs. Blog

"It just felt right," Lee said. "The main thing is we have six weeks left and Atlanta is in first place, and they're playing great baseball.

"I understand what [Cubs general manager Jim Hendry] is trying to do over here."

Lee, who is presently dealing with a bulging disk on his lower left side, received an epidural Monday to relieve the pain and will not be ready to play again until Thursday.

His first game may be back in Wrigley Field this weekend as the Braves visit the Cubs.

"I had a great time here," Lee said. "I grew as a player, grew as a person, but I didn't achieve the ultimate goal [of winning the World Series}, so that part is disappointing. The rest of my experience was nothing but positive."

Braves top scout Jim Fregosi watched Lee hit four home runs during a series in St. Louis last weekend. Fregosi reported back to general manager Frank Wren that Lee was swinging the bat as well as he has all season, according to a source.

The Braves sent three pitchers to the Cubs, right-handers Robinson Lopez and Tyrelle Harris and lefty Jeffrey Lorick.

Atlanta lost All-Star third baseman Chipper Jones for the season with a torn ACL on Aug. 10. First baseman Troy Glaus, a former third baseman, could be moved back to third if Lee is acquired.

Lee has not had his best season; his .251 batting average entering Wednesday's game is well below his .282 career average and the .306 he hit last season. But the Braves regard Lee as a strong finisher who could make a difference down the stretch, a source told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick.

Because he's been in the majors 10 years, including five with the same team, Lee could have refused any trade. He recently rejected a deal to the Los Angeles Angels.

"The Angels were close, but it wasn't right then," Lee said. "This time seemed like it would work."

Lee said Hendry approached him with the trade on Sunday, and he accepted on Monday
    Last edited by buccoray61; Aug-18-2010 at 05:00 PM.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information