Thread: The Penn State football thread

Threads : 29

Default The Penn State football thread

Penn State to redshirt former Sto-Rox QB Jones
    Thursday, August 19, 2010
    By Ron Musselman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- Penn State's quarterback derby has been reduced from four to three.

And the odd man out, surprisingly, is true freshman Paul Jones from Sto-Rox High School.

The coaching staff informed Jones Wednesday that they intend to redshirt him this season, a source told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

When reached Wednesday night, Jones said: "No comment."

With Jones out of the picture, the three remaining candidates for the Nittany Lions' starting quarterback job include sophomore Kevin Newsome, redshirt sophomore Matt McGloin and true freshman Robert Bolden.

Practices are closed to the media, but the source said Bolden has been the most impressive quarterback in preseason camp so far, followed by McGloin and Newsome, who served as Daryll Clark's backup last season.

Jones and Bolden both were rated four-star prospects by Rivals.com, while Newsome was ranked the No. 10 high school quarterback in the country by Scout.com in 2008. McGloin is a former walk-on.

The last true freshman to start a game for coach Joe Paterno was Wally Richardson in 1992.

He did so only because of injuries to Kerry Collins and John Sacca.

Penn State opens its season Sept. 4 with a non-conference game against Youngstown State at Beaver Stadium.

Jones, 6 feet 3 and 239 pounds, passed for 1,667 yards and 16 touchdowns last season despite missing several games at Sto-Rox with an ankle injury.

He graduated from high school in December, played in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl Jan. 9 in San Antonio and enrolled in classes at Penn State two days later.

He was the star of the Blue-White Game in April, throwing two 18-yard touchdown passes to Shawney Kersey in his first collegiate action.

Jones completed 5 of 8 passes for 67 yards in the spring game and was sacked once.

Afterward, his teammates raved about his strong arm.

But Bolden, who didn't arrive on campus until early this summer after graduating from Orchard Lake (Mich.) St. Mary's Prep, has a better grasp of the offense at this point.

Bolden was a three-year starter for St. Mary's and led his high school to two runner-up finishes in the Division 3 state championship game.

He ended his career with more than 4,000 yards passing in a run-oriented offense.

He completed 65 of 142 passes for 872 yards and four touchdowns last season while rushing 138 times for 537 yards.

Ron Musselman: rmusselman@post-gazette.com.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10231...#ixzz0x2qKHzfS

I thought one of the freshemn QBs would end up starting eventually. I just figured it would be Jones.

I'm not looking forward to that trip to Alabama.

Default Re: The Penn State football thread

Bradley loyal to Penn State
    By Jerry DiPaola, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Thursday, August 19, 2010
    Photos
    click to enlarge

Tom Bradley
    Barry Reeger | Tribune-Review

About the writer
    Jerry DiPaola is a staff writer for the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. He can be reached at 412-320-7997 or via via e-mail.

Ways to get us
    Be a Facebook fan
    Follow us on Twitter
    E-mail Newsletters
    On your mobile

Tom Bradley hears the chatter.

Entering his 11th season as Penn State's defensive coordinator and his 32nd as a Nittany Lions assistant, Bradley, 54, is considered the favorite to replace Joe Paterno as head coach whenever the job becomes open.

"Obviously, it's on his mind," said Jim Bradley, Tom's older brother and the Steelers' orthopedic surgeon for the past 19 years. "He gets contacted by a lot of people. He has turned down positions, but he does not talk about it due to respect and general decorum. It's like dating a girl and talking about it. It is not acceptable behavior."

Dennis Dodd, a college football writer for CBSSports.com, said Nittany Lions fans should hope the next Penn State coach comes from within the current staff. Bradley has been part of it since 1979.

"He is a great recruiter, a great coordinator," Dodd said. "People in the industry know exactly who he is. He is not a rock-star coordinator, but he is like the Penn State uniforms. He is solid and consistent."

Penn State athletic director Tim Curley said university officials have had discussions about the future of the program when Paterno, 83, retires, but he refused to provide details. He said there is no plan to name a successor before the fact, such as Florida State did when Jimbo Fisher was named the successor two years before Bobby Bowden's last game.

"We are taking the position that is not the best way to go," said Curley, who added that he fielded his first question about Paterno's future in 1983.

Paterno won't be able to name his successor, but his input will be part of the process, Curley said.

"He certainly should be at the table and have those discussions with us," he said.

Amid all the questions, Bradley has one of his own:

"Who wouldn't want to be the head coach at Penn State?" he rhetorically has asked when the subject arises.

Leader of the pack

Bradley's ability and accomplishments are well-chronicled. Penn State has ranked among the top 15 in the nation in scoring and total defense during each of the past six seasons.

A football, basketball and track star at Bishop McCort High School, Bradley was the second of seven children born to Johnstown cardiologist Sam Bradley and his wife Cass. Jim Bradley remembers that Tom always had waves of friends at the house.

"He was the leader of the gang, from an early age," he said.

Bradley graduated from Penn State in 1979 after playing defensive back (1975-1978), just like Jim. He immediately joined Paterno's staff as a graduate assistant and never left.

Before taking over the defense, Bradley mentored five positions — special teams (16 seasons), defensive ends, wide receivers, outside linebackers and defensive backs - and was the recruiting coordinator in 1984-85.

He laughed when asked if he is a Penn State lifer.

"I am happy where I am — I like it," he said. "I don't think being a head coach will define me. It is a great place for me to work, and working for coach Paterno, I really enjoy it."

Bradley's loyalty to Paterno is somewhat rare in a business where coaches can't keep still. It helps when the head man has been around for nearly half a century and has won more games than any college football coach in history.

Bradley said he continues to learn from Paterno, who was the first person to walk into the church when Bradley's father died in 2002.

"He is always looking for a better way to do something," Bradley said.

As a recruiter, Bradley helps keep a steady stream of talent flowing into the locker room. He once wrote 30 handwritten letters to Gateway's Justin King. When West Allegheny's Mike Caputo recently made a verbal commitment to Wisconsin, he called Bradley, hoping they could remain friends.

Staying in touch

Jim Bradley marvels at all the former players who keep in touch with his little brother, even though it drives him crazy when Tom's phone rings on the golf course.

"Are we playing or running a counseling service?" Jim shouts, feigning anger.

"He connects with those guys," Jim said. "It makes me very proud that this guy who is making a gazillion dollars (in the NFL) is calling my brother for advice."

When Tom graduated from Penn State with a B.S. in business and a Master's in sports administration, Jim tried to steer him toward law school.

"He has a higher IQ than mine," said Jim, whose surgical skills are renowned throughout the U.S. medical community. "I told him: 'Why not go into corporate law? You would be really good at it.'

"He wanted no part of it. He said, 'I am going to be a football coach. That is what I love to do.' "

It was inevitable, really.

As a youth, Tom put a transistor radio under his pillow and kept Jim awake with the sound of that night's Pirates game.

"He always knew the play, what (the manager) was calling," Jim said, pointing out a big difference in their personalities. "I liked to play the game. He liked to understand the game."

Default Re: The Penn State football thread

Penn State: Still no decision on who will QB
    Wednesday, September 01, 2010
    By Ron Musselman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- Penn State coach Joe Paterno could name a starting quarterback for Saturday's home opener as early as today.

Either way, Paterno said he plans to play all three quarterbacks -- sophomore Kevin Newsome, redshirt sophomore Matt McGloin, a former walk-on, and true freshman Robert Bolden -- against Youngstown State.

"We'll probably make up our mind in the next day or two as to who will start, but we'll probably play a couple of kids," Paterno said Tuesday during his weekly news conference. "You just don't know what you're going to get, because none of them have been under a lot of pressure. So we'll see what happens.

"We're trying to just not put too much pressure on any single one of them. ... They can all throw the football. They're big enough. And you would hope that eventually they're going to be fine quarterbacks.

"Whether they're going to be able to get that done with the schedule we're playing, that's a tough call right now."

Wide receiver Brett Brackett, who was elected a team captain in a vote conducted by the players, along with defensive tackle Ollie Ogbu, said all three quarterbacks have been making progress since the start of preseason camp.

"I think the reason we haven't named a quarterback yet is because they've all been doing extremely well," said Brackett, who was recruited as a quarterback. "I think the competition has really made each one of them step up their game, as leaders, as players, and it's really been a good thing for our team.

"I think the coaches really have a tough decision on who's going to be the guy. We've been working with all three of them equally on first-team reps pretty much ever since it started. I feel like we have a pretty comfortable situation with whoever they decided to go with."

Paterno said a fourth quarterback, true freshman Paul Jones from Sto-Rox High School, was eliminated from the race a few weeks ago due to academic issues.

Jones, who enrolled at Penn State in January after graduating early from high school, was rated the No. 2 prep quarterback in the country last season by Scout.com. And he was the star of Penn State's Blue-White Game this spring, throwing two touchdown passes.

But now Jones is targeted for a redshirt season.

"Jones had a bad start academically," Paterno said.

He said Jones is "a good kid" who is doing "all right" academically. But, Paterno added, "I'm a little nervous about it."

The quarterbacks weren't the only ones making news Tuesday.

Paterno said Chaz Powell recently moved from cornerback, where he was listed as a starter on the final preseason depth chart released Sunday, back to wide receiver because of injuries.

Powell, who also returns kickoffs, made nine starts last season as a wideout for the Nittany Lions, catching 28 passes for 366 yards and three touchdowns.

"It seems like, if anything, putting him on defense made him a better wideout," Brackett said. "He looks real good back on offense and hasn't missed a beat."

Paterno moved Powell back to offense because wide receiver Curtis Drake has a broken leg, tight end Andrew Szczerba hasn't practiced due to a bad back and backup tailback Stephfon Green has a minor neck injury. Szczerba has been ruled out of the game Saturday, while Green is questionable.

Paterno said the prolonged injury to Szczerba, projected as the team's starting tight end, has been puzzling.

"It's not good," Paterno said. "He hasn't practiced one play. I don't know when they're going to let him go."

Paterno said he believes tailback Evan Royster, who needs 481 yards this season to break the school's career rushing record, needs to drop some weight.

"Evan Royster is a little heavy," Paterno said. "He's about 220. And I keep telling him that he's not going to have the kind of endurance he needs unless he loses some weight. But he knows what's going on. And he's a good back."

Paterno, who lost weight after battling gastrointestinal issues this spring and summer, said he plans to be on the sideline for every game.

"I'll be on the field," he said. "I haven't missed one play in practice. And I don't intend to miss any games, any plays."

Ron Musselman: rmusselman@post-gazette.com.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10244...#ixzz0yGpcBs7j

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information