Thread: WR Brown gets special attention

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default WR Brown gets special attention

Steelers Notebook: WR Brown gets special attention
    Thursday, August 19, 2010
    By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Rookie receiver Antonio Brown made his presence felt in the first preseason game Saturday against Detroit when he caught three passes for 84 yards, including a 68-yard touchdown pass from Dennis Dixon in the fourth quarter. When the Steelers travel to play the New York Giants in the second preseason contest Saturday, Brown is hoping to open the coaches' eyes with another aspect of his game.

Brown will handle the kickoff and punt returns against the Giants after Stefan Logan performed those duties last week.

"It's a great opportunity," said Brown, a sixth-round pick out of Central Michigan. "In the first game I got to see a lot of offensive action. This week I'll have a chance to do a little special teams. I'm embracing the opportunity."

Brown is Central Michigan's all-time leader in receptions, but he was well-known in college for his special teams exploits. He was twice named the Mid-American Conference special teams player of the year. And Brown knows he must make an impression on special teams because that is where he will earn a spot on the roster.

"As a returner, you pretty much only have one assignment -- catch the ball," Brown said. "I don't have to run routes to a certain depth. All I have to do is catch the ball and run. That's my specialty."

After he scored against the Lions, Brown got excited and took off his helmet. He said that won't happen again. Several teammates, including quarterback Ben Roethlisberger made it a point to talk to him about the celebration.

"All the guys are telling me to be humble," Brown said. "For the first one, I was excited. This week, if we get in the end zone, it will be a little different."

[HIGH-LIGHT]Clark greets fans[/HIGH-LIGHT]

On the final day fans could watch the team practice at Saint Vincent, safety Ryan Clark put on a yellow staff shirt and called himself Parking Lot Larry. Clark greeted fans by parking their cars and checking their coolers.

"I went out there, parked some cars, went through some coolers, drank some people's water," Clark said. "I bit off one guy's chicken sandwich. I ate some bugels, had some Doritos, signed some autographs when my cover was blown. I enjoyed it. It was the last day for the fans, a day for me to be silly, to have a good time and enjoy the fans."

Clark said only a handful of fans failed to recognize him.

"There were a couple of them that didn't," he said. "They were mean to me because I was just Parking Lot Larry. I told them I was the highest paid camp staffer in America."

[HIGH-LIGHT]Tomlin sends message[/HIGH-LIGHT]

The Steelers are scheduled to depart Saint Vincent today after a morning practice. Even though camp is breaking, coach Mike Tomlin stressed that the evaluation period is far from over.

"We have to guard against the finality of the preseason because camp is coming to an end," Tomlin said. "The reality is we have three more [preseason] games left. We have a lot of time left to continue to develop this football team and determine who the 53 [players who make up the final roster] are and the roles within those 53."

[HIGH-LIGHT]Quick hits[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Rookie Maurkice Pouncey and veteran Justin Hartwig continued to split time at center with the first-team offense during team drills. ... Roethlisberger took the snaps with the first-team offense. ... Rookie running back Jonathan Dwyer was limited because of a shoulder injury. ... Running back Isaac Redman struggled near the end of practice with what Tomlin described as shin splints. ... The game Saturday at New Meadowlands Stadium is the first preseason game between the Giants and Steelers since 1993. From 1969-1993, the Steelers and Giants met 22 times in 25 years in preseason contests.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10231/1081082-66.stm
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Default Re: WR Brown gets special attention

Hey Hawaiian... Check your PMs....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

I like the fact that he's getting every opportunity to make the squad... I had read somewhere that he is the #6 WR right now, so he's kinda on the bubble...
    -------------------

Steelers rookie to get special chance
    By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Friday, August 20, 2010

Rookie wide receiver Antonio Brown gets another opportunity to impress the Steelers coaching staff Saturday night in an exhibition against the New York Giants.

This time, as a kick returner.

[IMGL]http://i38.tinypic.com/a170jd.jpg[/IMGL]A week ago, Brown caught three passes for 84 yards, including a 68-yard touchdown, in a 23-7 win against Detroit. This time, the coaching staff wants to see what Brown can do returning kickoffs and punts.

Brown was the Mid-American Conference's special teams player of the year his final two seasons at Central Michigan. As a senior, he returned two punts and a kickoff for touchdowns, and he finished his college career with five returns for scores.

"My thought is to make sure I get the same exposure to Antonio Brown - particularly during (kick and punt returns) - that was given to (Stefan) Logan last year in the second preseason game in Washington,'' coach Mike Tomlin said Thursday. "It's about giving young guys opportunities to show that they're capable of doing the job."

Last preseason, Logan, who starred in the Canadian Football League and was signed by the Steelers as an undrafted free agent, impressed the coaching staff with his darting returns and made the team after returning a punt for an 80-yard touchdown in the final preseason game against Carolina.

Tomlin is hoping that Brown, a sixth-round pick, can have a similar impact this year.

Used exclusively as a receiver last week, Brown didn't return kicks or punts against the Lions. Instead, Logan was the featured return man, averaging 15 yards on two kickoff returns.

Brown, who impressed veterans such as Hines Ward with his enthusiasm and confidence during his strong performance against Detroit, said he is excited about his chance.

"I'll get a lot of opportunities in preseason - that's what they said,'' said Brown, who was the second receiver taken by the Steelers in the draft, joining third-rounder Emmanuel Sanders. "They want to see how I perform under the lights. Every opportunity I get, I'm going to take advantage.''

Tomlin said the stage belongs to Brown Saturday night.

"It depends on the number of kicks that we get,'' Tomlin said. "If we get a nice number of kick opportunities, then maybe we'll consider putting someone else in there.''

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_695670.html

Threads : 82

If he can field a punt he is as good as gold. These drafts really are like throwing **** at the wall. Just because he is a lower round guy doesn't mean he won't stick. I really like the fact that Sanders looks pretty nice too. One of these guys if not both should be able to make an impact then you got WR's to spare. Plus I think these days guys are getting drafted for their specs. Just because your 6'4" doesn't mean you are going to be an NFL receiver. I like the short fast guys with the yac.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information