Thread: The Big Legursky

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The Big Legursky

The Big Legursky
    By: Mike Bires
    Beaver County Times
    Wednesday August 18, 2010

With a last name like his, Doug Legursky knew it wouldn’t take long before his Steelers’ teammates started calling him “Bronko.”

Right after he began practicing with the Steelers two years ago, Legursky was linked with one of the legends in NFL history.

“When I first got here, no one could pronounce Legursky,” he said. “They thought I was saying Nagurski as in Bronko Nagurski. So they started calling me ‘Bronko.’

“I don’t mind. But it has nothing to do with athleticism. It’s just because Legursky sounds so much like Nagurski.”

[IMGL]http://i38.tinypic.com/2ir500j.jpg[/IMGL]Bronko Nagurski, a big, bruising fullback who went 6-foot-2 and 235 pounds, played for the Chicago Bears in the 1930s and was one of the NFL’s first true stars. In 1963, he was a member of the inaugural induction class of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Legursky doesn’t possess Hall of Fame potential but his story as a reserve interior offensive lineman is an interesting one.

An all-conference center when he played at Marshall, he was cut twice by the Steelers as an undrafted rookie in 2008 before landing a spot on the practice team.

He defied long odds last year to land a spot on the 53-man roster. Legursky beat out A.Q. Shipley, the Moon Area High School grad who was an All-American center at Penn State, because he had the position flexibility to also play guard.

While Legursky played in eight games last year as the backup to center Justin Hartwig, Shipley was on the practice squad.

After the season, sensing he had a better opportunity elsewhere, Shipley signed with Philadelphia, where he’s currently the second-team center.

Meanwhile, Legursky is still with the Steelers.

“I love the guy,” said Sean Kugler, the Steelers’ first-year offensive line coach. “He’s a blue-collar guy. He knows the offense as well as anyone. He’s not big in stature, but he’s one of our strongest guys. He never takes a day off. He just competes and competes and competes. I can see why he made it in the first place.”

At 6-foot-1, Legursky is the shortest lineman on the Steelers’ roster. But he’s a bull at 315 pounds. While at Marshall, he set two Thundering Herd weightlifting records.

By no means is Legursky an absolute lock to survive the final cut again this year. But his chances are still promising.

“That’s a decision the coaches have to make,” he said. “All of that will play out eventually.

“I’m not the biggest guy in the world. I don’t have the athletic ability of first-round draft picks. So I have to work harder at things to make myself better. I have to fight every day for everything I get. Hopefully, the coaches will feel that I’m working hard enough to stay where I am.”

In last Saturday’s preseason game against Detroit, Legursky experienced what he called his “world tour.” He played right guard, center, left guard and fullback.

His fullback role comes on short-yardage and goal-line situations. He lined up there against the Lions and helped spring Isaac Redman on a 1-yard touchdown plunge.

“I love it. I love that package with Doug at fullback,” running backs coach Kirby Wilson said. “You always want your best players on the field, and in those situations, we want Doug out there.

“You got a bigger body with more mass and more bulk. You ask any defensive player. That’s not fun when you see a guy 300 pounds running at you from 5 yards deep.”

Fittingly, when Legursky lines up at fullback, the Steelers call it their “Bronko” package.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...-legursky.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 122

Default Re: The Big Legursky

Nice. I have been pulling for Doug since his first year. I hope he cracks the roster.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nice. I have been pulling for Doug since his first year. I hope he cracks the roster.
    Same here...

I loved the last line of the article... When he's in there, they call it the "Bronko package"...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 215

An announcer, in a game last year said, we score a touchdown everytime he's in there.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information