Thread: NFL: Not for long, warns Batch

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default NFL: Not for long, warns Batch

NFL: Not for long, warns Batch
    By: Mike Bires
    Beaver County Times
    Wednesday August 18, 2010

LATROBE — When the Steelers break camp Friday, there’s a chance they won’t return to St. Vincent College until the summer of 2012.

Due to the ongoing labor crisis between NFL owners and players — it’s a crisis that gets uglier by the day — there might not be a 2011 season.

The players, who currently receive 59.6 of the revenues generated by teams, don’t figure to strike. But the owners seem willing to lock the players out.

Both sides have yet to agree on a new collective bargaining agreement, and by the sounds of it, there’s no reason to believe they will any time soon.

“Unless something dramatic happens, they (the owners) are going to lock us out whether you want to believe it or not,” Steelers linebacker James Harrison said.

That’s exactly what quarterback Charlie Batch, the Steelers’ representative to the NFL Players Association, has been saying the last two years.

“Last year, people laughed at me and said I didn’t know what I was talking about,” Batch said. “But we’re closer than ever to a lockout, and I don’t think that’s going to change.”

One of the main issues of the labor impasse is that owners want to give players a lower percentage of the revenues. Yet, owners are unwilling to open up their books to prove their case.

“Nobody wants to talk about the 2011 lockout because everybody is preparing for the 2010 season,” Batch said. “(But) just imagine Sundays without the Steelers. That is a real possibility.”

Despite the seriousness of the matter, coach Mike Tomlin and QB Ben Roethlisberger aren’t looking that far ahead.

“Not at all,” Tomlin said when asked if he’s pondered a year without football. “I can’t see past today, let alone next week or next year. So no, I haven’t thought about it at all.”

“I haven’t really thought about it,” Roethlisberger added. “I’m just thinking about this year.”

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...rns-batch.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 691

Default Re: NFL: Not for long, warns Batch

I just feel it's a real slap in the face to all the fans,(the source of all the revenue) that ,with all this time between now and then,that both sides are indicating that a lockout is all but a certainty. Hey you greedy bastards,sit down and get this deal done!!!
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just feel it's a real slap in the face to all the fans,(the source of all the revenue) that ,with all this time between now and then,that both sides are indicating that a lockout is all but a certainty. Hey you greedy bastards,sit down and get this deal done!!!
    Yea... They seem hell-bent on messing up a good thing... All because of greed.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 122

Greed ruins everything eventually.

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Yea... They seem hell-bent on messing up a good thing... All because of greed.
    Ditto

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

money is the root of all evil.

Threads : 60

If there is a lockout, will this be considered a strike year ? Do you think the NFL will bring in people off the street like they did the one strike year and continue the season ?

Threads : 691

Do you think the NFL will bring in people off the street like they did the one strike year and continue the season ?
    I would hope not.That went over like a lead balloon last time.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    If there is a lockout, will this be considered a strike year ? Do you think the NFL will bring in people off the street like they did the one strike year and continue the season ?
    If the lockout is next season, NEXT season would be a strike year, I think... I really don't believe they (the owners) would bring in replacements as they did in '82. In that year, it was the players that went on strike, this time I believe it will be the owners imposing a lockout... I dunno for sure how it would work, to be honest.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There seems to be intractability on both sides. Those sides also need to consider that there are a number of franchises I would look at as in a precarious situation, either financially or with a struggling fan base (ie, blackout affected sides). Jacksonville, Tampa Bay... I would even put the Bungles on the iffy list because, if they should under-perform this year the fans could revert to their rebellious posture from the previous off-seasons.

If a couple of franchises that are circling the drain go down, that benefits neither the owners or the players.

They need to be smarter than to let this continue as a ****ing contest. Maybe quit pointing the finger at each other and negotiate, although all the interviews I've come across with Demaurice Smith indicate he's an Olympic Class wassock. A weak man trying to posture as a strong man. Vespasian should have taught him something by errors alone.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    I would even put the Bungles on the iffy list because, if they should under-perform this year the fans could revert to their rebellious posture from the previous off-seasons.
    Actually, the Bengals have a unique deal with Hamilton County (the greater Cincinnati area)... If they do not sell-out, the county has to make-up the difference in revenue... So they are basically guaranteed the money from sold-out crowds even if no one is in the stands.

Threads : 9

It's hard to choose a side to support when it's the millionaires versus the billionaires. It somehow feels dirty either way you look at it.

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

If the lockout is next season, NEXT season would be a strike year, I think... I really don't believe they (the owners) would bring in replacements as they did in '82. In that year, it was the players that went on strike, this time I believe it will be the owners imposing a lockout... I dunno for sure how it would work, to be honest.
    wasn,t the strike year in 1987

Quote Originally Posted by rockcr View Post
    wasn,t the strike year in 1987
    ... Both, technically...

1982 strike

The 1982 NFL strike began on September 21, 1982 and lasted 57 days until November 16, 1982. During this time, no NFL games were played. The essential cause of the strike was over a dispute over the percentage of gross revenues that the league gave to its players. The NFLPA wanted the percentage increased to 55 percent.[17]

During this time, the NFLPA promoted two "all-star games." One was held at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C. on October 17, 1982 between two teams billed as "National East" and "American East." On the following day, October 18, another game was played at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum between players from the "American West" and the "National West." Both teams wore generic uniforms, with the home teams wearing red and the visiting teams wearing white. The NFLPA had hoped that the league's biggest stars would show up for the game, but few of them did. Perhaps the biggest reason for this was that the players on strike had no health insurance and therefore were totally responsible for any injuries suffered on the field. Neither game drew more than 20,000 spectators and the TV ratings were abysmal in both cases. Although more all-star games had been scheduled by the NFLPA, none of them were ever played.

TV networks scrambled to make adjustments to their schedules. NBC added more Major League Baseball games and some Canadian Football League contests were also telecast. (Some of the CFL games featured the Edmonton Eskimos and their eventual Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback, Warren Moon.) CBS aired a rebroadcast of Super Bowl XVI the week after the strike began, then added editions of the CBS Sports Spectacular. On one Sunday afternoon, CBS aired regional coverage of two Division III college football games: one between Baldwin-Wallace College and Wittenberg University, and the other between the University of San Diego and Occidental College. ABC replaced Monday Night Football with movies.

As a result of the strike, the season schedule was reduced from 16 games to nine and the playoffs expanded to 16 teams (eight from each conference) for a "Super Bowl tournament." CBS and NBC aired regional telecasts on both days (Saturday and Sunday, January 8 and 9) of first round games. The Washington Redskins won the tournament by capturing Super Bowl XVII.

1987 strike and decertification

The NFLPA struck for a month in 1987. On this occasion, however, they only succeeded in canceling one week of the season. For the next three weeks, the NFL staged games with hastily assembled replacement teams. They were made up of several players cut during training camp, as well as a few veterans who crossed the picket lines. The television networks showcased these games as if they featured players of the same quality as the veterans who were out on strike. Many of the league's owners had anticipated a strike and had put replacements on standby for $1,000 per game.

However, the NFLPA failed to set up a strike fund to cover lost salaries. Fearing that the owners would cut off their annuities, 89 players crossed the picket line. Among the most prominent players to immediately cross the line were New York Jets defensive end Mark Gastineau and Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle Randy White. San Francisco 49ers quarterback Joe Montana and Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Steve Largent later joined the replacement players and other strikebreakers.

Faced with cracks in union support, the willingness of the networks to broadcast the replacement games, and hostile public sentiment, the union voted to go back to work on October 15, 1987 without a collective bargaining agreement. They had to wait another week to get back on the field, however, since they hadn't come back by the owners' deadline. The union filed a new antitrust suit that same day.

The Court of Appeals ultimately rejected that suit on the ground that the labor exemption from antitrust liability protected the employers, even though the union was no longer party to a collective bargaining agreement that would have permitted the practices that the union was challenging. In response, the union formally disclaimed any interest in representing NFL players in collective bargaining and reformed itself as a professional organization in 1989. Having done that, the following year union members, led by Freeman McNeil of the New York Jets, brought a new antitrust action against the NFL challenging its free agency rules as an unlawful restraint of trade.

The players ultimately prevailed, after a jury trial on their claims, in that action. That verdict, the pendency of other antitrust cases and the threat of a class action filed by Reggie White, then with the Philadelphia Eagles, on behalf of all NFL players brought the parties back to the negotiating table. They finally agreed on a formula that permitted free agency. In return, the owners demanded and received a salary cap, albeit one tied to a formula based on players' share of total league revenues. The agreement also established a salary floor - minimum payrolls all teams were obliged to pay.

The Redskins—which won the Super Bowl after football resumed in 1982—did so again in Super Bowl XXII. The Redskins had none of their regular players cross the picket lines during the period of replacement games. (The Replacements, a 2000 movie starring Keanu Reeves, is loosely based on the experiences of the Washington Redskins "scabs," which went 3-0 in the regulars' absence.)

Replacement player Sean Payton, who was a quarterback for the Chicago Bears "Spare Bears," eventually worked his way to coaching in the NFL with the New Orleans Saints, winning Super Bowl XLIV as a head coach. Another replacement player, linebacker Eugene Seale, with the Houston Oilers, impressed Jerry Glanville that after the strike ended, he earned a roster spot and started a successful seven-year career, mostly as a special teams player.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Actually, the Bengals have a unique deal with Hamilton County (the greater Cincinnati area)... If they do not sell-out, the county has to make-up the difference in revenue... So they are basically guaranteed the money from sold-out crowds even if no one is in the stands.
    Hamilton County's accountants must just love that!
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information