Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe Starkey Has Joined the Smizik Brigade

Threads : 158
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Joe Starkey Has Joined the Smizik Brigade

Threads : 1817

Default Re: Joe Starkey Has Joined the Smizik Brigade

Starkey needs to stick to Football. This must be why we see little of him talking about Baseball. He's pretty frickin' clueless
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 271
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Starkey needs to stick to Football. This must be why we see little of him talking about Baseball. He's pretty frickin' clueless
    NOPE !!!! As I told you before He is angling for the Bozo The Columnist moniker of Contrarian

Threads : 66
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I dismissed his article as so much poop chute material. Perhaps if we went out and signed Fidel Castro's nephew for $34 kazil he'd be happy. Nahhhhh....he'd find some other way to twist it around.

As someone said on the Smizik Blog, they reamed us out for losing Sano and then when we DO sign a Latin American star they find some way to twist it around.

C'est le vie. Of course, if Littleyield was still GM, none of these guys would be in our system. Hard to believe that only Duke, Maholm, Walker, Doumit and Cutch are left over from his reign of terror. Hard to fill 20 MLB slots in 3 years.

Threads : 197

All of the Latin American players he's using as comparisons are Cubans who were supposed to be near MLB ready. His number on the Red Sox two signings is also off by about $3.5 million. Adalberto Ibarra originally agreed to a big money major league deal, but had it knocked down to something like $850,000 minor league deal after he failed his physical. Even if that number was correct he's comparing players with professional experience to teenage amateur players. I don't even really understand what his argument is.

I do enjoy the sudden "Well this is just what they're supposed to do" theme going around. It's right, but for some reason it never existed when they weren't doing it.

Threads : 277

I think Starkey's point--in what I believe was a well argued column--is until you win in the majors, it doesn't mean much.

As Pirate fans, we are used to crumbs, while other fans eat bread.

While I am extremely happy with the Tallion, Allie, now Heredia signings, can you imagine what would have gone down had NH (Nutting) not signed all three?

The PBC had to sign them, no matter the cost, or they would have lost whatever goodwill exists for them in this town.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilpens View Post
    NOPE !!!! As I told you before He is angling for the Bozo The Columnist moniker of Contrarian
    Is the Trib that hard to try and find someone to compete with the resident retard at the PG?

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    I think Starkey's point--in what I believe was a well argued column--is until you win in the majors, it doesn't mean much.

As Pirate fans, we are used to crumbs, while other fans eat bread.

While I am extremely happy with the Tallion, Allie, now Heredia signings, can you imagine what would have gone down had NH (Nutting) not signed all three?

The PBC had to sign them, no matter the cost, or they would have lost whatever goodwill exists for them in this town.
    Management and ownership can't and shouldn't worry about what this town thinks. they can't. If they listened to the media and the fans we'd be exactly where we are right now but with nothing in minor leagues but hey... we spent a lot of money to do it

the bottom line is that the Pirates had a very good draft and spent a lot of money in the process. Those are 2 things that EVERYBODY complains about and the Pirates did it. There shouldn't be one single complaint from a fan, from a mediot .. nothing. When the topic is about this years draft and signings, the Pirates management did everything that people ask for them...

Yet, Smizik is still whining, Starkey is whining. For once, everyone should be talking positively about the buccos, but god forbid the half ***, **** media in this town stray from their agenda

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

NH is the first GM to do things that he has promised to do and to do things the right way. Bob Nutting has developed a track record of cutting the checks when NH and FC have said it was needed. Nutting has said from the get go that if NH and FC both feel that a good baseball deal has presented itself but will cost X amount of dollars, he will cut the check. He said he doesn't make baseball decisions, that's why he hired NH and FC. To call Nutting cheap is way off base. According to NH, he has never been denied a request, so if the mediots should be calling anybody cheap, it should be NH. All I know is that the minor league system is as deep as anytime in my lifetime. And the man at the helm is NH.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    NH is the first GM to do things that he has promised to do and to do things the right way. Bob Nutting has developed a track record of cutting the checks when NH and FC have said it was needed. Nutting has said from the get go that if NH and FC both feel that a good baseball deal has presented itself but will cost X amount of dollars, he will cut the check. He said he doesn't make baseball decisions, that's why he hired NH and FC. To call Nutting cheap is way off base. According to NH, he has never been denied a request, so if the mediots should be calling anybody cheap, it should be NH. All I know is that the minor league system is as deep as anytime in my lifetime. And the man at the helm is NH.
    Bob Nutting has also had the majority vote since just 2007 to make all of the calls as well. Before then it was Kevin McClatchy that held the majority votes even though bob Nutting had been chairman of the board for all of the share holders since 2003.

I've been saying it now for years... all of the blame and hate that bob Nutting receives is mostly all of the hate and blame that should be directed at Kevin Mcclatchy. While Nutting is made out to be the villain, McClatchy is considered some sort of respected savior. I guess pointing the correct fingers doesn't sell hits and newspapers in Pittsburgh

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Joe Starkey Has Joined the Smizik Brigade? I'll be happier when he joins the Foreign Legion!
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 158

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    Joe Starkey Has Joined the Smizik Brigade? I'll be happier when he joins the Foreign Legion!
    I can imagine his pansy tummy living in Tunisia.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I could think of more than a few people here who could show Starkey and smizik the proper way to do their jobs, but then there might be mass suicides by their mindless minions.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wvkeeper View Post
    I can imagine his pansy tummy living in Tunisia.
    He'd look as though George Lucas left a Jawa behind.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 91
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

One of the lemmings linked this in Smizik's comments section and Bozo thanked him for the link.

Great stuff.
    "Nice catch, Hayes. Don't ever ****in' do it again." -Lou Brown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information