Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kickoff Return Issues resurfacing

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Kickoff Return Issues resurfacing

Last regular season, the Special teams/ kickoff coverage were pretty awesome.
    But if you watch the playoffs....mmmm not so much.

This season, is eerily remisicent of 2001.

I don't (and still don't)usually feel I am qualified to make, "Expert analysis" but in my opinion someone needs to teach Joe Burnett #27 how not to get enveloped by blockers. It just seems as if on every big return this season, it goes right through Burnett's lane.

And Jeff Reeds, kickoffs to the 12...YIKES!!
    Time to say, adios skippy after this year.

On a positive side Sepulveda's 6 punts netted a mere 8 yards in returns. He has average about 3.8 yards per punt in returns this season.
    (Bergers average around 7.5 per punt last year).

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Kickoff Return Issues resurfacing

Quote Originally Posted by bdeff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Last regular season, the Special teams/ kickoff coverage were pretty awesome.
    But if you watch the playoffs....mmmm not so much.

This season, is eerily remisicent of 2001.

I don't (and still don't)usually feel I am qualified to make, "Expert analysis" but in my opinion someone needs to teach Joe Burnett #27 how not to get enveloped by blockers. It just seems as if on every big return this season, it goes right through Burnett's lane.

And Jeff Reeds, kickoffs to the 12...YIKES!!
    Time to say, adios skippy after this year.

On a positive side Sepulveda's 6 punts netted a mere 8 yards in returns. He has average about 3.8 yards per punt in returns this season.
    (Bergers average around 7.5 per punt last year).
    It is really good to have Sepulveda back on punts for sure. The return coverage has been pretty poor. I really do not know what the issue is.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 9
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Berger gave me nightmares! I nearly bowed to the tv during the first game Sepulveda was back. He's great.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Can we teach Sepulvada to kick-off? I'll bet he woulda buried Harvin instead of brushing grass off of his jersey
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    Can we teach Sepulvada to kick-off? I'll bet he woulda buried Harvin instead of brushing grass off of his jersey
    I've often wondered if he could kick off...he has the leg. He could probably punt and get it further than Reed.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 29

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    It is really good to have Sepulveda back on punts for sure. The return coverage has been pretty poor. I really do not know what the issue is.
    IMO it starts with Reed, he's never been good at getting any hang time on his kicks, but imo they're even worse this year. If you watch there are many times when the return guy runs at least 5 yards before anyone is even in the vicinity. At this point I would just almost kick it out of bounds and let them have it at the 40.
    Also isn't Frazier usually on kick returns? That could be another part of the problem.
    But the main culprit imo is the kicker, if he's not going to be able to get hang time and he can't get it into the endzone, then the least they're going to have to do is kick away from the main return guy.

And I'm really trying to not just be piling on Reed, although I will admit I can't seem to get over blaming him for the Chicago loss.

But this is something he's always had a problem with and imo for whatever reason this year it's even worse. I don't know if it's age, he's injured, hungover or what, but it's worse.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sep's numbers for yesterday.....

"You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

sjdrewk

Well we thought after last year with adding Sep back to the St's and with Logan coming in we would have the best St's in years. Strange that all of a sudden the coverage isn't up to last years standards.

Threads : 29

Was watching Monday Night Countdown last night and they were showing the awful attempt by Reed. I noticed something I had not noticed before. Wallace was unblocked and instead of filling the lane he went to the outside, he looked real lost at to what he should be doing. Then he was in chase mode and closing in, then when Reed made his horrible attempt, he pulled up and once again was in chase mode.
    I know everyone hates Sweed, but imo he should be getting a hat because he is better than Wallace on coverage and he's better at blocking. If it was up to me, McDonald would be sitting, it's not like they're targeting him a whole lot anyway.
    It would also be nice if they could find a roster spot for Woods, he's a demon on ST.

But I still also hold to my opinion better hang time would solve a lot of the problems. I wonder about Sep kicking off. It would be interesting to know if they've ever considered it or if they've worked him out on it and he can't do it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree that Woods was excellent on special teams last year. There has to be a way to get him there without compromising the the the roster. Put Burnett on the PS and bring in Woods is my thoughts, Burnett doesn't seem to give us much. Definitely these low and short kick-offs have to be a factor. If Reed can't hit the endzone in Denver, well, to hell with him.

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It is a shame about ST's this year. It is no better than last year except for Sep and little Logan imo could be dangerous but he is just running into walls. Last game it looked like they were trying to stand him up and strip the ball again. If the blocking doesn't get any better they might need to get a larger body on the ball so we don't get more strips.

Let's put Legursky on the return team. He loves blowing people up at full speed.

Threads : 407

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    But also possibly send the ball through the endzone too.

Threads : 407

Quote Originally Posted by cardiacsteelers View Post
    Was watching Monday Night Countdown last night and they were showing the awful attempt by Reed. I noticed something I had not noticed before. Wallace was unblocked and instead of filling the lane he went to the outside, he looked real lost at to what he should be doing. Then he was in chase mode and closing in, then when Reed made his horrible attempt, he pulled up and once again was in chase mode.
    I know everyone hates Sweed, but imo he should be getting a hat because he is better than Wallace on coverage and he's better at blocking. If it was up to me, McDonald would be sitting, it's not like they're targeting him a whole lot anyway.
    It would also be nice if they could find a roster spot for Woods, he's a demon on ST.

But I still also hold to my opinion better hang time would solve a lot of the problems. I wonder about Sep kicking off. It would be interesting to know if they've ever considered it or if they've worked him out on it and he can't do it.
    I watched the replay also and noticed after Reed's pitiful attempt...Ratliff and Johnson both over ran the returner, which is unacceptable. MT's post game presser brought the return up and he said it would be addressed this week.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedBnG58 View Post
    I watched the replay also and noticed after Reed's pitiful attempt...Ratliff and Johnson both over ran the returner, which is unacceptable. MT's post game presser brought the return up and he said it would be addressed this week.
    How they dont practice the rest of the week.

But on a serious note...I wonder what has held Patrick Bailey back...he was a beast on ST last year too...and right now I also worry about a guy like Joe Burnett who was brought in to help the ST and possibly develop into a quality CB...........and where's he been?

That whole return was a mess...and something has to change with those guys. Take PRIDE in being on an NFL football field at all...and MAN UP.
    Hidden Content

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information