Thread: Numbers game doesn't faze Grisham

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Numbers game doesn't faze Grisham

Scott Brown's blog, View From The Press Box....

Numbers game doesn't faze Grisham
    August 20th, 2010

Hines Ward and Mike Wallace are entrenched as the starters. Veterans Antwaan Randle El and Arnaz Battle were not signed during the offseason just to be practice bodies. And the two wide receivers the Steelers drafted in April look like they have a future in Pittsburgh.

Tyler Grisham would not be human if the second-year man out of Clemson didn’t do the math and realize it does not favor him.

The Steelers don’t figure to carry more than six wide receivers on their 53-man roster. And one of those spots could go to Stefan Logan if coach Mike Tomlin again decides that Logan is too valuable as a kick returner to keep off the team.

“You try not to play the numbers game,” said Grisham, who played in four games last season. “Everybody talks about it. I try not to be around it.”

That doesn’t mean Grisham isn’t feeling a sense of urgency with the Steelers set to play their second preseason game Saturday night at the Meadowlands.

“I need do something in the game,” said Grisham, who caught one pass for 14 yards last season. “I’m playing well in practice. I just want to go out there and make plays.”

The 5-11, 180-pounder looks like he has the ability to do that at this level.

Grisham is a crisp route runner and catches almost everything thrown in his direction. And, yes, for anyone wondering people tell him all of the time that he reminds them of Wes Welker, who led the NFL in catches (123) last season despite missing the last two games because of a knee injury.

“I guess we are similar in a lot of ways, similar statures, short-space quickness, hands,” Grisham said. “If I can be a player like him and be productive that would be great, and that’s my goal.”

His immediate goal is to play his way onto the Steelers, and a lot can happen between now and Sept. 4 when 53-man rosters have to be finalized. There could be an injury and it would be premature to put Antonio Brown on the team based on what he did during training camp and one preseason game.

Grisham, for his part, is no stranger to long odds.

He signed with the Steelers in 2009 as an undrafted free agent, made the practice squad and eventually the 53-man roster.

“Last year, I was just playing free. I had nothing to lose,” Grisham said. “Now that I know what it’s like to actually play and I was getting paid for it I don’t want to lose it. So now I’m trying not to be anxious, trying to just go out there and play and have fun.”

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...ss+Box+Blog%29
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 87
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Numbers game doesn't faze Grisham

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Scott Brown's blog, View From The Press Box....

Numbers game doesn't faze Grisham
    August 20th, 2010

Hines Ward and Mike Wallace are entrenched as the starters. Veterans Antwaan Randle El and Arnaz Battle were not signed during the offseason just to be practice bodies. And the two wide receivers the Steelers drafted in April look like they have a future in Pittsburgh.

Tyler Grisham would not be human if the second-year man out of Clemson didn’t do the math and realize it does not favor him.

The Steelers don’t figure to carry more than six wide receivers on their 53-man roster. [HIGH-LIGHT]And one of those spots could go to Stefan Logan if coach Mike Tomlin again decides that Logan is too valuable as a kick returner to keep off the team.

[/HIGH-LIGHT]“You try not to play the numbers game,” said Grisham, who played in four games last season. “Everybody talks about it. I try not to be around it.”

That doesn’t mean Grisham isn’t feeling a sense of urgency with the Steelers set to play their second preseason game Saturday night at the Meadowlands.

“I need do something in the game,” said Grisham, who caught one pass for 14 yards last season. “I’m playing well in practice. I just want to go out there and make plays.”

The 5-11, 180-pounder looks like he has the ability to do that at this level.

Grisham is a crisp route runner and catches almost everything thrown in his direction. And, yes, for anyone wondering people tell him all of the time that he reminds them of Wes Welker, who led the NFL in catches (123) last season despite missing the last two games because of a knee injury.

“I guess we are similar in a lot of ways, similar statures, short-space quickness, hands,” Grisham said. “If I can be a player like him and be productive that would be great, and that’s my goal.”

His immediate goal is to play his way onto the Steelers, and a lot can happen between now and Sept. 4 when 53-man rosters have to be finalized. There could be an injury and it would be premature to put Antonio Brown on the team based on what he did during training camp and one preseason game.

Grisham, for his part, is no stranger to long odds.

He signed with the Steelers in 2009 as an undrafted free agent, made the practice squad and eventually the 53-man roster.

“Last year, I was just playing free. I had nothing to lose,” Grisham said. “Now that I know what it’s like to actually play and I was getting paid for it I don’t want to lose it. So now I’m trying not to be anxious, trying to just go out there and play and have fun.”

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...ss+Box+Blog%29
    Let me make it easy for you Grisham.

Field punts and kick-offs and get "decent" returns and your on the team. They won't keep a guy on the roster just to field punts and have mediocre returns like Logan (you Logan apologist can shut your holes! Yes, Logan is better than we have had for a while, but that ain't saying **** since we have sucked *** at that position since Woodson. Being the King of the suck asses is useless)

If you can catch like a mofo and handle return duties well, only idiots who can't judge talent like Tomlin and Arians would cut you.......err....ummm...Nevermind you're probably in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by kinsar View Post
    you Logan apologist can shut your holes!
    [IMGL]http://i36.tinypic.com/x2vxph.gif[/IMGL]Agreed... If Grisham does a decent job he can make the squad. Logan really didn't do anything stellar, and if I recall correctly, he was ranked somewhere around 13th in returns last season. While it was not bad, it wasn't great, and not worthy of a dedicated roster spot IMO.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 440

hey Tyler, it's looking like another year on the Practice Squad...

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    You think?... Yea, we got a venerable bounty of young talent at the WR position, but you don't think he stands a chance?.... I guess I honestly don't know.... Tonight will be the first game I actually get to watch.

While it is true that we don't need him immediately, so the practice squad may be it (if he clears waivers) again this year. You don't let great talent for the near future walk in order to keep a mediocre "one trick pony" on the squad.

Ward is winding down, forget about Lame-*** Sweed, injuries happen, free agents leave and Battle & El are one year shoe horns. We need to keep Grisham because now or very soon we will need him and he could be spectacular. I am willing to bet he will at least turn into a fantastic possession receiver.

While it is true that we don't need him immediately, so the practice squad may be it (if he clears waivers) again this year. You don't let great talent for the near future walk in order to keep a mediocre "one trick pony" on the squad.

Ward is winding down, forget about Lame-*** Sweed, injuries happen, free agents leave and Battle & El are one year shoe horns. We need to keep Grisham because now or very soon we will need him and he could be spectacular. I am willing to bet he will at least turn into a fantastic possession receiver.
    I hate to say it, but I spoke the same things when discussing Dallas Baker.....

Threads : 440

You think?... Yea, we got a venerable bounty of young talent at the WR position, but you don't think he stands a chance?.... I guess I honestly don't know.... Tonight will be the first game I actually get to watch.

i would say that Tyler finds himself 8th on the current WR Steelers' depth chart behind:
    1) Ward 2) Wallace 3) Randle-El 4) Sanders 5) Battle 6) Brown 7) Brandon London 8) Grisham

you may or may not have been following London's progress in camp so far, but the Steelers love him...he's that big 6"4" WR they were looking for in Sweed. the Steelers are more apt to try to find a way to keep London than Grisham, in my humble opinion.

you may or may not have been following London's progress in camp so far, but the Steelers love him...
    No, I haven't.... So "thanx" for giving me something else to pay attention to....

i would say that Tyler finds himself 8th on the current WR Steelers' depth chart behind:
    1) Ward 2) Wallace 3) Randle-El 4) Sanders 5) Battle 6) Brown 7) Brandon London 8) Grisham

you may or may not have been following London's progress in camp so far, but the Steelers love him...he's that big 6"4" WR they were looking for in Sweed. the Steelers are more apt to try to find a way to keep London than Grisham, in my humble opinion.
    They can fix that by letting battle or El go. One or both of those will be gone by next season anyway.

They can fix that by letting battle or El go. One or both of those will be gone by next season anyway.
    I dunno.... Randel El may have lost a step or two, but is still a decent playmaker... Battle is also a proven vet with the ability to get the job done... They will only be "gone" if the Steelers want it that way... But either way, it's a great position to be in, if you ask me.

I dunno.... Randel El may have lost a step or two, but is still a decent playmaker... Battle is also a proved vet with the ability to get the job done... They will only be "gone" if the Steelers want it that way... But either way, it's a great position to be in, if you ask me.
    Yeah, no doubt about their ability, but they are both at the end of it and neither is a Hines Ward. Short term thinking keeps them both, long term thinking keeps a young receiver, who has proved he can catch everything. If nothing else he has trade value later, Battle and El don't.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information