Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lolley's post game (Giants) thoughts.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Lolley's post game (Giants) thoughts.

Saturday, August 21, 2010
    Post-Giants thoughts

Here are some initial thoughts from the preseason game against the Giants:

Ike Taylor has to be smarter that he was in getting himself thrown out on the opening possession of a game - even a preseason game.

Walk away Ike.

On the plus side, the Steelers got an extended look at Keenan Lewis with their first-team defense thanks to Taylor's stupidity. Lewis held up well.

Lewis, however, suffered a concussion in the game and did not return.

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT] I didn't think Nick Eason had a very good, or seemingly motivated, camp, but while I was jotting down a note that he was playing well, he blew up a play in the backfield at the goal line.

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT] Another note I made to myself: You'll notice Flozell Adams showing up in the run game when you watch that game again.

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT] Antonio Brown showed enough as a return man to make Stefan Logan expendable. Sorry Stefan.

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT] I thought all three Pittsburgh quarterbacks played well.

A big reason for that was that the offensive line played much better this week, giving them plenty of time. And the Giants defensive front is much better than Detroit's.

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT] Isaac Redman has secured his spot on this team. If I'm Jonathan Dwyer, I'm very nervous and motivated heading into next week's game at Denver.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 82

Default Re: Lolley's post game (Giants) thoughts.

Can't really fault much of that but the O-line was breaking down badly against their first team. We were faced with a couple 2 and loooongs, that's not good.

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dwyer's best shot is to get on the practice squad and get his **** together.

I'm feeling good about Redman.

Threads : 6

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can't really fault much of that but the O-line was breaking down badly against their first team. We were faced with a couple 2 and loooongs, that's not good.
    On the money Beez.

Threads : 87

If cuts were today, Dwyer gone, Logan gone.

Lewis with a concussion is not making me happy.

Did Lolley watch the game? Our O-ine stunk!

Threads : 0

Quote Originally Posted by kinsar View Post

I thought our line pass-protected much better than last week. True, they allowed Tuck and Umenyiora to blow up those playes deep in the backfield. True that Adams had a holding call and let his man pressure Ben on the pick. Other than that, there was very little heat on any of our quarterbacks all night. We had 412 yards of offense and 161 yards on the ground, despite those 2 huge losses and only 1 sack for two yards. I also remember quite a few holes opening up at the line of scrimmage.

Granted we're probably more interested in evaluating the performance of our 1st team unit and the guys who will regularly contribute. However, I thought the line played pretty well throughout most of the night. That is a pretty good front four...and a deep one.

I was pretty drunk (on the boat all day), but that's how I saw it.
    Last edited by Flasteel; Aug-22-2010 at 09:24 AM.

Threads : 87

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    I thought our line pass-protected much better than last week. True, they allowed Tuck and Umenyiora to blow up those playes deep in the backfield. True that Adams had a holding call and let his man pressure Ben on the pick. Other than that, there was very little heat on any of our quarterbacks all night. We had 412 yards of offense and 161 yards on the ground, despite those 2 huge losses and only 1 sack for two yards. I also remember quite a few holes opening up at the line of scrimmage.

Granted we're probably more interested in evaluating the performance of our 1st team unit and the guys who will regularly contribute. However, I thought the line played pretty well throughout most of the night. That is a pretty good front four...and a deep one.

I'll agree that Blozell did better than last game, but he is useless with a change of direction rusher. Blozell has NO lateral movement.

Max "Stiff as a board, light as an elephant" Starks was getting blown by on every play. A one legged goat could blow by that dude all night.

Speaking of getting left in the dirt all night, Palamalu was throwing viscious tackles on clumps of grass the whole time he was in. WTF Troy, you looked like the re-incarnation of Washington & Scott.

Threads : 691

Speaking of getting left in the dirt all night, Palamalu was throwing viscious tackles on clumps of grass the whole time he was in. WTF Troy, you looked like the re-incarnation of Washington & Scott
    True,he missed some tackles,but I was encourged by the way he was moving. The speed seemed to be there,and he seemed to have no problem changing direction,all very good signs.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 137

Our line's played like **** for so long, even marginal play is considered playing well.

Threads : 691

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post

I remember one play that was blown up in the back field was on Heath Miller.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Here's what ESPN's James Walker had to say about the game...

The Good

* The quarterback play was solid across the board for Pittsburgh. Ben Roethlisberger made his 2010 debut and completed 6 of 8 passes for 76 yards and one interception with the first-team offense. His pick was thrown short on a deep pass intended for receiver Mike Wallace, which was Roethlisberger’s only poor pass of the night. Byron Leftwich had his best preseason game, throwing for 95 yards and a touchdown. His 68-yard bomb to Wallace in the second quarter was the highlight of the game for Pittsburgh. Dennis Dixon continued his sharp preseason by completing 7 of 8 passes for 82 yards. Dixon also added 27 yards rushing, as he pushes for more opportunities with the first team.

* Reserve tailback Isaac Redman continues to make a strong impression. "Redzone" lived up to his nickname with another tough, 12-yard touchdown run in the third quarter. He recorded 34 yards on six carries and averaged 5.7 yards per attempt. The AFC North blog predicted this week that Redman will make the 53-man roster, and he continues to help his case.

The Bad

* Steelers No. 1 cornerback Ike Taylor was ejected in the first quarter following his fight with New York receiver Hakeem Nicks, who also was ejected. Sure, it's the preseason. But Taylor is a veteran who should know better. Pittsburgh cannot afford to lose its top cornerback under these circumstances in the regular season.

* The defense was pretty good overall, but there was one concerning drive by New York that will get some attention in Pittsburgh's film room. Third-string quarterback Rhett Bomar marched the Giants 75 yards for a touchdown against Pittsburgh's first-team defense. The Giants were short-handed with starter Eli Manning (head) and backup Jim Sorgi (shoulder) sitting out. The defensive standards are always high in Pittsburgh, which is why the Steelers have to be disappointed that New York's third-string quarterback had a successful drive in the first half.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...reseason-recap
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 82

Defensively I think the DL was awesome but behind them meh. The linebackers where invisible and that's certainly not what you expect. DBs as usual need to be better but we all know Dick likes to play vanilla in pre season. Purely base packages. I am sure Troy is playing a bit reserved as well.

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I only saw the first 20 minutes or so. But what I saw backs up what you've said, kins.

If we're intent on starting Lefty, he'd better be intent on short drops and screens to RBs. The way to hide what appears to be an ineffective OL is by having an effective ground game (which, BTW, I think we can pull off with this OL, assuming our RBs can hold onto the ball) and with a short and non-sexy passing game that gets lots of YAC and doesn't take forever to develop. It's not necessarily a ball-control offense. But wise, defensive substitution should balance that out.

BA better not get too comfortable with long patterns or we'll see more of the same **** we saw last year. BA is the LAST person in this organization who can afford to stand pat with what he does this year. His O looked and played like **** all year last year and the backlash was harsh at the end of the season. If he has another year like last year, he'll be looking for another team to **** up starting next year.
    buckeyehoppy 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Pick-em' Contest Champion and 2013 Finalist!

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetchuck View Post
    Dwyer's best shot is to get on the practice squad and get his **** together.

I'm feeling good about Redman.
    I think Dwyer was a response to the org. being uncertain about whether Redzone would do anything. Since those fears have been essentially put to rest, Dwyer will prolly be earmarked for the PS. I think he'll be a decent RB and you can't have too much depth at the position. Knowing the fragility of RBs, Dwyer should get his chance.
    buckeyehoppy 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Pick-em' Contest Champion and 2013 Finalist!

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyehoppy View Post
    If he has another year like last year, he'll be looking for another team to **** up starting next year.
    Please don't tease me...

But yea, I agree... Lefty will need to unload the ball quickly so as to be effective and stay off the turf. Overall, I liked what I saw from a few aspects of the team, but the O-line has already started the seasonal heartburn for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information