Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Rookies, Especially O&D Linemen

Threads : 277

Default Starting Rookies, Especially O&D Linemen

The Vikes started Phil Loadholt (6'8", 360 pound RT, who we had in for a pre-draft interview); the Ravens start Mike Oher at RT; the Skins start Brian Orakpo and RDE; and the Browns and Bengals start, at Center and left Tackle, two guys we had in for 2009 pre-draft interviews.

Yet, Hoodie barely plays and Kraig Urbik barely dresses for games.

Do the other teams draft better, have more confidence in "on the job training" than our coaches do, or are our kids just not up to the test of playing successfully in the NFL?

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Starting Rookies, Especially O&D Linemen

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Vikes started Phil Loadholt (6'8", 360 pound RT, who we had in for a pre-draft interview); the Ravens start Mike Oher at RT; the Skins start Brian Orakpo and RDE; and the Browns and Bengals start, at Center and left Tackle, two guys we had in for 2009 pre-draft interviews.

Yet, Hoodie barely plays and Kraig Urbik barely dresses for games.

Do the other teams draft better, have more confidence in "on the job training" than our coaches do, or are our kids just not up to the test of playing successfully in the NFL?

I think it comes down to need and where you're selecting your players. For the most part many of the guys you mentioned above were high draft choices...all the teams mentioned above selected in the top 25. It also comes down to competition. The Steelers rarely need a guy to come in and start right away because of depth and competition at the position. However, it is interesting, though, that even when they do they rarely start them--Woodley in his rookie season for example was much superior to Haggans. Many of the Steelers draft choices end up being depth player for their first season...although I would like to see more of them start if they are ready (again like Woodley) because the on the job training is truly where the learning is at in the NFL.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Also, about Urbik...the thing with Urbik is how you judge him. Do you judge him based on individual drills where he gets beaten badly? Or do you judge him on in-game situations where he has proven time and time again (in college at least) that he's an absolute beast. There are some players who play better than they ever practice--especially in 1-on-1 individual blocking drills--and there are other players who practice better than they ever play. It depends on how you look at a guy like Urbik, and the coaching staff likely hasn't seen him enough, nor have they really needed him, to start him this year.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 122

How much did Hood play yesterday? I was at the game so it was tough to tell sometimes who was in there. I got ripped hard for saying it right after Smith got injured, but in my opinion a first round pick DE should be able to start 6 games deep into the season after having a full training camp and all the mini camps. Only way he shouldn't be able to start is if he is stupid, or missed time due to a hold out or injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    How much did Hood play yesterday? I was at the game so it was tough to tell sometimes who was in there. I got ripped hard for saying it right after Smith got injured, but in my opinion a first round pick DE should be able to start 6 games deep into the season after having a full training camp and all the mini camps. Only way he shouldn't be able to start is if he is stupid, or missed time due to a hold out or injury.
    He should be able to...and honestly if he's the future of the position over there SHOULD be starting there. However, if they dont feel he's ready then I dont know what else they can do but sit him.

I personally think they try to "baby" rookies a long a little too much. Santonio was ready to start and didn't. Woodley was ready to start and didn't. And Ben DID start after injury and he's developed just fine I think.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You almost have to judge a player by his game film. Workouts will show how athletic a player is, but a lot of times it doesn't translate to game ability(Huey Richardson, Alonzo Jackson). Mike Wallace is doing one hell of a job considering he was drafted more to be a returner. It is much better to be able to draft for depth, than to have to draft out of need.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    You almost have to judge a player by his game film. Workouts will show how athletic a player is, but a lot of times it doesn't translate to game ability(Huey Richardson, Alonzo Jackson). Mike Wallace is doing one hell of a job considering he was drafted more to be a returner. [HIGH-LIGHT]It is much better to be able to draft for depth, than to have to draft out of need[/HIGH-LIGHT].
    Completely true. However, if those players drafted for depth show they are better than the starters...then they should start. That doesnt much happen around here.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 122

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    Completely true. However, if those players drafted for depth show they are better than the starters...then they should start. That doesnt much happen around here.
    Drafted Steelers players are handled like drafted MLB players where they have to spend years developing in the minors to be any good.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If they are good enough to start, then they should. The mentality that we can't start a guy because he is a rookie has to change. The best 22 need to start, period. I guess you don't have to pay big bucks on a players second contract if he hasn't played much under his first contract as a back-up. It sure would be nice to develope Hood and Harris soon, because our d-line is getting old quickly.

Threads : 277

It sounds like most of us agree on "play the kids" somewhere.

It also is why I think Sweed should be dressing and playing in every game. It's the only place where he will learn to overcome his "dropsies' where it matters.

He needs to make catches in games, not just practice.

Threads : 48

On the flip side,Limas Sweed had an entire year of learning and look how he turned out.

Limas will be a good receiver. I believe he will come thru by the end of the regular season and it will start to happen against the Oakland's and the KC's on the schedule. If we all believe TOGETHER, it will happen ray:

It was supposed to be ray:

Threads : 48

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    Limas will be a good receiver. I believe he will come thru by the end of the regular season and it will start to happen against the Oakland's and the KC's on the schedule. If we all believe TOGETHER, it will happen ray:
    Yep,Llimas WILL be a good receiver someday.................in the CFL.

Threads : 9
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    Yep,Llimas WILL be a good receiver someday.................in the CFL.
    He will make a nice backup to Terell Owens on the Calgary Squirrels!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information