Thread: 10 Very Quick Thoughts on Steelers-Giants

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default 10 Very Quick Thoughts on Steelers-Giants

10 Very Quick Thoughts on Steelers-Giants
    8/22/2010
    http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...Giants/3094109

With myself and my schedule squarely at odds this afternoon, here are some abbreviated thoughts on last night's Steelers-Giants contest:

1. Fear not, Ike Taylor has already apologized to Steeler fans for his fight and subsequent ejection last night. I'm guessing Steeler Nation will somehow be able to forgive him.

2. Speaking of forgiveness, Ben Roethlisberger took the field in a game for the first time since January, with what I would called mixed results. He was the only Steeler QB to not engineer a touchdown drive, he threw an interception on a poorly thrown ball to Mike Wallace that probably wouldn't happen during the regular season, he generated only three points in about 1 1/2 quarters of work, and his QB rating was an awful 64.6.

On the bright side, Roethlisberger engineered a 13-play, 58-yard scoring drive, he got the first road game out of his system, and he showed enough to make me think he'll be ready and rested once he's eligible to play in the regular season.

3. And speaking of mixed results, that's exactly what the Steeler running game gave us on Saturday, most likely because of unsettled issues along the O-line.

Rashard Mendenhall continued his awful preseason with eight carries for 11 yards, while Isaac Redman most likely solidified a roster spot with 34 yards on six carries. Justin Vincent went for 37 yards on six carries to lead the team, with 18 of those yards coming on one run, but he still is on the outside looking in.

All in all, the running game finished with 161 yards on 41 carries for a 3.9 average per carry, which is not too shabby.

4. Byron Leftwich should have ended any lingering QB controversy in the fans' minds by showing off his electric arm on a 68-yard touchdown pass to Mike Wallace in the second quarter. Leftwich finished the night 3-6 for 95 yards, the touchdown, and a QB rating of 135.4. I've seen enough to consider this case closed.

5. Dennis Dixon also played well, hitting on seven of eight passes for 82 yards and running five times for 27 yards, with a 22-yard scamper in that mix. While I don't like Dixon enough to be the starting QB in place of Roethlisberger, I think it's obvious that he has the athleticism to see the field in specially-designed packages to be unveiled at the proper times during the regular season.

6. It's hard to get a grasp on the job done by the Steeler defense, since they were facing a third-string QB all night in Rhett Bomar. Bomar hit Steve Smith for 45 yards during the first half, beating Bryant McFadden and setting up a nine-yard TD run from Ahmad Bradshaw, who I thought looked pretty sharp last night.

On the night, Bomar was just 13-26 for 167 yards, no TDs, one INT (by Joe Burnett), and a 54.5 rating, so I guess you can say the Steelers did get the best of him.

7. I'm still not getting bent out of shape about the offensive line, despite their struggles. The preseason and training camp is meant to develop a chemistry and to come together, and that's not always the case by the second game. But I think there's enough talent there (especially with the emergence of Maurkice Pouncey) to eventually develop into a cohesive, adequate unit.

8. Antonio Brown did a decent job on kick and punt returns last night to make me believe that Stefan Logan's spot on the roster is in serious jeopardy. The more you can do as a player, the more valuable you are to the team, and Brown's abilities as a receiver in addition to his skills as a returner outweigh those of Logan's.

9. The worst thing I saw last night from the Steelers was the management of play-calling and of the clock at the end of the first half, blowing an opportunity to score and leaving the ball at the Giants' one yard line. I know, it's only preseason, but that was sloppy.

10. The enjoyable KDKA broadcast team of Bob Pompeani and Edmund Nelson was back together for another week, and I must say, the Edmundisms may be worthy of their own blog in the near future.

Mondesi's House: The Director's Cut (more links, commentary, etc): twitter.com/mondesishouse
    Email: mondesishouse@gmail.com

Threads : 215

Default Re: 10 Very Quick Thoughts on Steelers-Giants

Number 9 had me cussin'! Bad play calling. It would have looked good, though, had the first play scored.......................still, poor play calling.

Threads : 182

If I as a casual observer (granted I am more than that) but I could pretty much predict when ben was going to pass and when he was going to run. Based on the movement of his left foot whether it was forward or back. I had emailed same thing to ed Buchette back in 2004 when as a rookie he did the same thing and he told me that others in the organization had already noticed this.

I don't like what I see about Ben's footspeed. Dixon on the other hand has very quick feet and gets back in the pocket faster. I'm just saying.

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBONES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Number 9 had me cussin'! Bad play calling. It would have looked good, though, had the first play scored.......................still, poor play calling.
    Something tells me that the run play called with 11-12 seconds left and no timeouts wouldnt have happened in a regular season game. I hope it was just a matter of trying to get some extra reps at GL run offense, rather than playing for a score.

You dont have to have a very high football IQ to know that the playcall should've been a quick pass into the endzone, that leaves a FG try as worst case scenerio.

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bton66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

You dont have to have a very high football IQ to know that the playcall should've been a quick pass into the endzone, that leaves a FG try as worst case scenerio.
    Well,one of the plays was a pass into the EZ........albeit a lob.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information