Thread: Lolley's "Post-Minnesota Thoughts"

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Lolley's "Post-Minnesota Thoughts"

Sunday, October 25, 2009
    Post-Minnesota thoughts

Many Steelers fans like to complain about the play calling of offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, but how would you like to be a Minnesota Vikings fan right now.

As I sat in the press box and watched Adrian Peterson used sparingly, I was dumbfounded.

How in the world can you not run the best running back on the planet three times from the two-inch line?

I realize the great Brett Favre is the king of the one-yard touchdown pass to the tight end, but Minnesota offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell should have some 'splainin to do.

I didn't go over to Minnesota's locker room, but I checked the post-game quotes from Vikings head coach Brad Childress and he was never asked about that decision. That, my friends, is inexcusable.

But, as Steelers Digest editor Bob Labriola so often likes to say, "The other team has coaches too."

It's Labriola's way of saying that coaches get too cute instead of just doing the obvious.

The Steelers did some of that as well Sunday, doing things like taking tight end Heath Miller off the field to instead play Shaun McDonald.

Sorry, but the only way Miller comes off the field if I'm running things is if he's injured. He's become way too valuable an option to not be out there on every play.

I did like the backfield pairing of Mewelde Moore and Rashard Mendenhall. They're both solid receivers and are matchup problems on the edge.

Did Jared Allen play?

I know a lot of people questioned the Steelers' decision to put the transition and franchise tags on Max Starks the previous two seasons before giving him a new contract this season, but he's turning into a solid NFL left tackle.

The Vikings played a lot of cover-2 in this game to take away the Steelers' deep passing game.

That opened up some running lanes for Mendenhall, particularly on the right side, where Willie Colon had a solid game.

But Mendenhall has got to learn that you don't leave your feet in the NFL with the ball in your hands unless you're diving into the end zone.

That was a silly fumble in the fourth quarter.

5-2 at the bye week is about as good as could be expected.

The bye comes at a good time, too.

That was a nasty ankle injury for linebacker Lawrence Timmons, who got clipped from behind by teammate James Farrior. The guess here is that he might need every day in the next two weeks to get that healthy again.

And the calf injury suffered by Travis Kirschke is one of those things you get when you're a 35-year-old trying to play full time.

The three neutral zone infractions on Casey Hampton were for lining up with part of his helmet in the zone. Some officials call it, others don't.

But once you're whistled for it once, don't you think you might get the idea?

The pass interference call on Miller that negated a touchdown pass to Santonio Holmes likely would not have been called had he not extended his arm on contact.

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Lolley's "Post-Minnesota Thoughts"

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Did Jared Allen play?

I know a lot of people questioned the Steelers' decision to put the transition and franchise tags on Max Starks the previous two seasons before giving him a new contract this season, but he's turning into a solid NFL left tackle.

I'm a life-long Max Starks basher and I totally agree with those comments.Starks looks light years ahead of when he played at RT.He doesn't look like the lazy,fat *** that we all knew and hated.

sjdrewk

Never really hated Max. I just thought he was gifted with such a great size and great talent. I always wondered what was wrong with him. Complacency? To me he had been great the first year and then such an underachiever lately. Last year, I was accused of harboring a fat slob as I championed Starks on another board.

You know I am really glad the Oline is playing well. It had been labeled the teams greatest weakness coming into the season. It obviously isn't the case this year.

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    Never really hated Max. I just thought he was gifted with such a great size and great talent. I always wondered what was wrong with him. Complacency? To me he had been great the first year and then such an underachiever lately. Last year, I was accused of harboring a fat slob as I championed Starks on another board.

You know I am really glad the Oline is playing well. It had been labeled the teams greatest weakness coming into the season. It obviously isn't the case this year.
    Oh,man.Where is Sweet when you need him??

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

After a few days to digest the games, I am going to focus on the positives since we all know what went wrong. Mike Wallace was big yet again. He made some more big plays in the passing game. This kid has arrived.
    Mendenhall is proving to be a chain mover as the games go by. He leads the NFL in yards after contact and had 3 more carries of 10+ yards.
    THE offensive line did a nice job of protecting Ben and opening some nice running lanes for our backs. They are becoming a solid unit.
    TIMMONS was having a nice game until his injury. He was solid in run stopping and got pressure on Favre.
    SWEED went another game without dropping a pass. Keep up the good work

THE defense appears to be back with two scores off turnovers.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 277

Too much invested in Sweed, money and draft position, to let him ride the pine. Play him as the fourth WR, give him a chance to resurrect himself as a player.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree DC, put him in against the raiders and the chiefs or any low/no pressure situations and let him build his confidence back.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 12

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    I agree DC, put him in against the raiders and the chiefs or any low/no pressure situations and let him build his confidence back.

Maybe in a situation like that. Against the better teams, Sweed does not need to be on the field in any role, except special teams. There are too many 'must wins' ahead to jeopardize a crucial 3rd down conversion. Maybe he can block a field goal.

Quote Originally Posted by DBinAL View Post
    Maybe in a situation like that. Against the better teams, Sweed does not need to be on the field in any role, except special teams. There are too many 'must wins' ahead to jeopardize a crucial 3rd down conversion. Maybe he can block a field goal.
    Considering that we are tied for 1st place and have two losses,I'd like to think that every game from here on out is must win until we clinch a playoff spot.Sweed can help out by fetching Gatorade,though.

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information