Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: And the "lunacy" keeps comming...

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default And the "lunacy" keeps comming...

... From ESPN's James Walker's blog.... All I can say is "no, no, no..."

QB Dennis Dixon deserves first-team reps
    August, 23, 2010
    By James Walker

The Pittsburgh Steelers have fewer than three weeks before their regular-season opener against the Atlanta Falcons. Therefore, it's now or never for quarterback Dennis Dixon to share first-team reps with Byron Leftwich.

Pittsburgh is in a unique situation with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger due to serve a conditional six-game suspension. But if the Steelers are truly holding an "open" competition to replace Roethlisberger -- which is often debated in Pittsburgh -- it's confusing that Dixon spent this offseason and training camp working with backups and, in some cases, players who won't make the team. The Steelers simply could have named Leftwich the starter months ago and moved forward.

Dixon has been stellar in the preseason, completing 13 of 15 passes for 210 yards in two games. There is no reason to get overly excited about Dixon playing well against opposing backups. But his performance should be enough to spark the Steelers' curiosity to see what he can do against a first-team defense.

But based on the past few months, there is no guarantee that will be the case. [HIGH-LIGHT]It's also unlikely Dixon suddenly will get promoted in Week 1 with little or no work with the starters. So everyone should know within the next week or two if Dixon is truly in the running.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Is Dixon the best option for Pittsburgh at quarterback? It's too early to say.

But in our opinion, Dixon deserves an opportunity.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...irst-team-reps
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 82

I agree with the article 100%. Not sure how it is lunacy or what you have against Dixon or even bigger question, why you love Lefty soo much. I really just want them to explore their options. It's like the whole thing with Willie Gay last year where it seemed they kept trotting him out there as to not admit they were wrong. Not saying its gotten to that point. I just don't want it to get to that point. But I am not even sure what it would prove to put Dixon out there with the firs team at this point because they haven't even let him do it in practice. Whoever they go with in the end that is worrisome to me. When lefty gets concussed in game one Dixon will not be prepaired properly and I wouldn't be surprised if these *******s trot Batch out there instead ahhhhhh

Default Re: And the "lunacy" keeps comming...

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree with the article 100%. Not sure how it is lunacy or what you have against Dixon or even bigger question, why you love Lefty soo much. I really just want them to explore their options.
    Man, I made the title with you in mind... Just to be an *******... But only in fun...

I really don't have anything against Dixon, and don't love Leftwich... As I said somewhere else, I don't think either of them have the "complete" package so as to make us all happy. I just like the experience factor with Lefty, and won't re-hash alot of the stuff we've all posted already... I also believe that there is possibly more going on in camp than alot of us are aware of, and this could possibly be leading to Dixon's position, I don't know... Yea, Dixon got some decent playing time Saturday, and made the most of it... I'll go with whatever the coaches determine to be the best course of action, as they are seeing a helluva lot more that me... They have to be seeing more than us.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just to add to the "lunacy," DD (to this point in the preseason) has pitched an impressive QB rating of 141.0, against the scrubs of Detroit and NYG...and has also added some nice plays with his feet. Leftwich has been pretty sharp too with a 105.7...

IMHO, DD has been pretty dominate against inferior competition and should get a chance to play some downs against some real "NFL caliber" players.

...Just sayin?

Is there a way to evaluate their brief time against the starters from the two opponents so far, that anyone knows of?... And yea, I know there isn't much.

... Hell, this is gonna be a hotly contested subject pretty much thru the end of September (maybe longer if Ben doesn't get a reduction in his suspension)... Gonna be interesting to see how it plays out.

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Is there a way to evaluate their brief time against the starters from the two opponents so far, that anyone knows of?... And yea, I know there isn't much.

... Hell, this is gonna be a hotly contested subject pretty much thru the end of September (maybe longer if Ben doesn't get a reduction in his suspension)... Gonna be interesting to see how it plays out.
    How about they just start Dixon in the next game?He either sinks or swims.....

Threads : 60

Dixon is seeing nothing but bland defensive schemes and I'm sure the Steelers want a QB that has more experience seeing some of the blizt packages and so on. No matter what the Steeler do of choosing Leftwich or Dixon, not everyone will be pleased or they'l say, " I told you so. "
    If anyone thinks the Steelesr signed Leftwich and gave up a pick for him, as humble as the pick was then, to see Dixon get the start, no way it's going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    If anyone thinks the Steelesr signed Leftwich and gave up a pick for him, as humble as the pick was then, to see Dixon get the start, no way it's going to happen.
    I'm not a Dixon fan by any stretch,but I don't buy that at all,fezz.The organization wants to win.If that means starting Dixon over Lefty,then so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    How about they just start Dixon in the next game?He either sinks or swims.....
    The problem is, usually in the 3rd game they let the squads play a bit more and gel, before sitting the majority of the 4th game... They have the plans set, and I really don't think Dixon is in the mix for the starting position... But who knows...

The problem is, usually in the 3rd game they let the squads play a bit more and gel, before sitting the majority of the 4th game... They have the plans set, and I really don't think Dixon is in the mix for the starting position... But who knows...
    True,very true,BUT Lefty has been in the league for a long time.If anyone actually needs the reps.its Dixon.I say give him a shot for the hell of it and we see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    I say give him a shot for the hell of it and we see what happens.
    Well, I guess we'll see how much the coaching staff agrees with you come Sunday night in Denver...

Well, I guess we'll see how much the coaching staff agrees with you come Sunday night in Denver...
    Not saying it will happen,but I figure what the hell.

Threads : 49

Unless Dixon does play with the 1st team offense in these last 2 preseason games, I don't see how he's starting on opening day. I think Leftwich (and rightfully so) will be the starter. Dixon looked good against the Giants (I think it was his best game as a pro, preseason or regular season) but keep this in mind - he's playing against 2nd and 3rd stringers, and the Giants defensive backups looked AWFUL. Plus, in the Giants game about half his passes were bubble screens to WR's, and Dixon has thrown a total of 15 passes so far this year. Not to take anything away from Dixon, I think he's progressing somewhat as a QB, but he definitely hasn't proven he's starting material yet.

Threads : 82

Man, I made the title with you in mind... Just to be an *******... But only in fun...

I really don't have anything against Dixon, and don't love Leftwich... As I said somewhere else, I don't think either of them have the "complete" package so as to make us all happy. I just like the experience factor with Lefty, and won't re-hash alot of the stuff we've all posted already... I also believe that there is possibly more going on in camp than alot of us are aware of, and this could possibly be leading to Dixon's position, I don't know... Yea, Dixon got some decent playing time Saturday, and made the most of it... I'll go with whatever the coaches determine to be the best course of action, as they are seeing a helluva lot more that me... They have to be seeing more than us.
    Fair play, I have no problems with this viewpoint. Honestly I am in the camp that would like to see both guys utilized. That brings the subject back the Arians lol. I am sure there are some creative offensive minds that would love to have this problem but our coaches aren't one of them.

Threads : 87
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really don't have anything against Dixon, and don't love Leftwich... As I said somewhere else, I don't think either of them have the "complete" package so as to make us all happy. I just like the experience factor with Lefty, and won't re-hash alot of the stuff we've all posted already... I also believe that there is possibly more going on in camp than alot of us are aware of, and this could possibly be leading to Dixon's position, I don't know... Yea, Dixon got some decent playing time Saturday, and made the most of it... [HIGH-LIGHT]I'll go with whatever the coaches determine to be the best course of action, as they are seeing a helluva lot more that me... They have to be seeing more than us[/HIGH-LIGHT].
    Why...WHy...WHY! do you make me do it!! Why do you insist I beat that dead horse into pudding. Look at what I hi-lighted... you all know what I'm going to say don't you????????????????

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! !!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information