Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Much to like about this defensive effort

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Much to like about this defensive effort

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If so we should personally hire AP to run over Gay like he's a tackling dummy every week.
    Cool.Wonder if he can give us a twofer and hit Jeff Reed,too??

Threads : 135

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    Cool.Wonder if he can give us a twofer and hit Jeff Reed,too??
    ****...Reed would run away scared...AP would have to go FIND him in order to hit him.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 407

Reed should wear his uniform for Halloween since he only wants to pretend he is a football player.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedBnG58 View Post
    Reed should wear his uniform for Halloween since he only wants to pretend he is a football player.
    No, b/c then people might mistake him for an NFL player and just point and laugh.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, I jumped on the "hate" bandwagon yesterday after that play by Reed, but in retrospect, I gotta cut him some husk.... The dude has been money for us for quite a while... Yea, he's gonna be gone next season, but that still doesn't negate what he has done for us in the past... I'll give him a mulligan on this one.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 48

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Well, I jumped on the "hate" bandwagon yesterday after that play by Reed, but in retrospect, I gotta cut him some husk.... The dude has been money for us for quite a while... Yea, he's gonna be gone next season, but that still doesn't negate what he has done for us in the past... I'll give him a mulligan on this one.

If we use this formula,then LVG should be in love with SWP.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    And if that play had cost us the game and he still had given such a minimal effort?
    Hidden Content

Threads : 691

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    And if that play had cost us the game and he still had given such a minimal effort?
    Should have never gotten to the point where he had to make the tackle...period.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    Should have never gotten to the point where he had to make the tackle...period.
    Very true.... There was a major breakdown for it to get that far IMO...

Benny... If that had been the case, sure, I'd be more upset about it... But in the wider scheme of things, he has won alot of games for us and put up alot of points... I'm not absolving him of anything, just trying to insert a bit of logic and recollection to the past... The "if" game could be played both ways, but just isn't worth it in my opinion.... Just my 2 cents.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 12

I don't want to pop the balloon about the defensive performance, but let's analyze what took place in yesterday's game.

Minnesota had the ball for 19:50 in the second half.

Not counting the last 36 yards the Vikings gained on their last possession, Minnesota gained 193 yards in the second half.

In the whole game, the Vikings had drives of 76 yards, 64 yards, 74 yards, and 55 yards. The Steeler defense of 2008 rarely gave up 1 drive of 60 yards per game.

Yes, the victory was great, but giving up 4 drives of 50+ yards in a game doesn't indicate to me that this is a 'great' defense.

Quote Originally Posted by DBinAL View Post
    I don't want to pop the balloon about the defensive performance, but let's analyze what took place in yesterday's game.

Minnesota had the ball for 19:50 in the second half.

Not counting the last 36 yards the Vikings gained on their last possession, Minnesota gained 193 yards in the second half.

In the whole game, the Vikings had drives of 76 yards, 64 yards, 74 yards, and 55 yards. The Steeler defense of 2008 rarely gave up 1 drive of 60 yards per game.

Yes, the victory was great, but giving up 4 drives of 50+ yards in a game doesn't indicate to me that this is a 'great' defense.
    All very worthwhile points. The D was hardly great. They were good/decent...and thats almost more than you can say about them the rest of the season.
    Hidden Content

sjdrewk

Why not give the D credit for yesterday? Why poo-poo it by saying oh if it were not for two lucky plays we would be in trouble which is what I am hearing from a few places and people. Isn't that how the D played last year? By coming up with big plays in crucial situations? The D is coming around and each week Troy is getting healthy. And with this well timed bye week, I think we are going to see the D revert to last years D.

The only problem is the depth of the D is taking a hit with these injuries. And what that does is create a domino effect on the St and other parts of the team because you have to fill in where the injured player position is with ST guys like Fox which will take its toll on the St's.

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    Why not give the D credit for yesterday? Why poo-poo it by saying oh if it were not for two lucky plays we would be in trouble which is what I am hearing from a few places and people. [HIGH-LIGHT]Isn't that how the D played last year? [/HIGH-LIGHT]By coming up with big plays in crucial situations? The D is coming around and each week Troy is getting healthy. And with this well timed bye week, I think we are going to see the D revert to last years D.

The only problem is the depth of the D is taking a hit with these injuries. And what that does is create a domino effect on the St and other parts of the team because you have to fill in where the injured player position is with ST guys like Fox which will take its toll on the St's.
    Man last year the D was statistically across the board one of the top 5 defense to ever take the field. They dominated every aspect of the game...they didn't have nearly the problems we're seeing this year.

It is only natural that the D slip a little b/c of how strong they were last year--same thing happened after Baltimore's great D in what 2000?

However, to this point of the year the D has only been a mirage of its past achievements last year. I hope your right, though, and they are coming around.
    Hidden Content

sjdrewk

What I am referring to is this specific game, those specific two Defensive turnovers forced. I can recall many games last year being behind or in very close games(the Pukes and the sb) where the D pulled off a big to to win the game.

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    What I am referring to is this specific game, those specific two Defensive turnovers forced. I can recall many games last year being behind or in very close games(the Pukes and the sb) where the D pulled off a big to to win the game.
    Oh yeah. That aspect of the game certainly was reminiscent of last year's D. However, for the most part the rest was not. We're not getting the sacks, turnovers, and not shutting teams down with the regularity of last season.
    Hidden Content

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information