Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: Arains Questions Own Playcalling

      
  1. #1
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Arains Questions Own Playcalling

    Steelers Notebook: Play calls after half debated by coach Arians questions whether he called too many passes Monday, October 12, 2009 By Gerry Dulac and Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette DETROIT -- Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said he "got a little greedy" with the play-calling in the second half and probably had quarterback Ben Roethlisberger throw the ball more than he should have with the Steelers protecting a 15-point lead. The sudden failure of the offense, coupled with the decision to not give running back Rashard Mendenhall more carries in the second half, nearly cost the Steelers in a 28-20 victory against the Detroit Lions at Ford Field. "We scored so quick in the third quarter when we had the ball and then we hit a lull," Arians said. "We sat there for a while on the bench and I think we lost our rhythm. I got a little greedy there trying to hit the home run ball." Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09285...#ixzz0TinYAhR9

  2. #2
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Ya know... I mentioned this in the GDT. I don't remember to who but I think it was in reference to the pressure getting to Ben. I was saying that Bruce and/or Ben were trying for the big bomb and when that happens, Ben gets killed. At that point I think the Steelers were predictable in a different direction. Normally it is predictable with the run calls, this time it was predictable in regards to pass plays and attempts. Seemed like the Lions started playing the pass and brought the pressure with no regards and second guessing

  3. #3
    buccoray61's Avatar
    Status : buccoray61 is offline
    Rank : The Elite
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Posts : 3,885
    Threads : 691
    Last Online : Apr-03-2017 @ 06:56 AM

    Default

    I thought the same thing while it was happening. They could have controlled the clock with Mendy running and catching some screens and in this situation Miller would have absolutely killed the Lions "D"

  4. #4
    LasVegasGuy's Avatar
    Status : LasVegasGuy is offline
    Rank : Banned
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Location : Living on the Sun, Nevada
    Posts : 2,076
    Threads : 60
    Last Online : Jan-05-2012 @ 12:19 PM

    Default

    After watching the first half I started thinking to myself is Mendy injured because he was no longer seeing the ball. Glad to hear he is O.K. and that Arians is still Arians.

  5. #5
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After watching the first half I started thinking to myself is Mendy injured because he was no longer seeing the ball. Glad to hear he is O.K. and that Arians is still Arians.
    Yeah, I was personally surprised they weren't running Mendy more and like was said in that article, they got away from the good mix that they had success with in the first half and pretty much that entire Chargers game. Mendy was running **** well, could've piled up over 100 yards if given the carries. He averaged 5.1 YPC. 2 games in a row with the starting RB averaging over 5 YPC. It's like hell froze over

  6. #6
    LasVegasGuy's Avatar
    Status : LasVegasGuy is offline
    Rank : Banned
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Location : Living on the Sun, Nevada
    Posts : 2,076
    Threads : 60
    Last Online : Jan-05-2012 @ 12:19 PM

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, I was personally surprised they weren't running Mendy more and like was said in that article, they got away from the good mix that they had success with in the first half and pretty much that entire Chargers game. Mendy was running **** well, could've piled up over 100 yards if given the carries. He averaged 5.1 YPC. 2 games in a row with the starting RB averaging over 5 YPC. It's like hell froze over
    It's downright scray to know that we have an offensive coordinator who would take the ball out of the hands on a guy averaging 5.1 ypc.

  7. #7
    Palmetto Steel's Avatar
    Status : Palmetto Steel is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 9, 2009
    Posts : 23,379
    Threads : 3263
    Last Online : Nov-30-2015 @ 06:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    "It was real frustrating" Arians said. "I got too greedy."
    Now watch.... He'll go conservative in the other direction....

    .... Actually, I really don't think so, but it really wouldn't suprise me if he did... I'm not worried though, because, he's never learned from his mistakes in the past so why start now?
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

  8. #8
    Les's Avatar
    Status : Les is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 10, 2009
    Location : Secane,Pa.
    Posts : 10,207
    Threads : 48
    Last Online : Apr-16-2017 @ 11:33 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Anyone ready to stick up for Arians now???

  9. #9
    LasVegasGuy's Avatar
    Status : LasVegasGuy is offline
    Rank : Banned
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Location : Living on the Sun, Nevada
    Posts : 2,076
    Threads : 60
    Last Online : Jan-05-2012 @ 12:19 PM

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now watch.... He'll go conservative in the other direction....

    .... Actually, I really don't think so, but it really wouldn't suprise me if he did... I'm not worried though, because, he's never learned from his mistakes in the past so why start now?
    Your probably right. I can see Ben passing all over the Browns but instead Arains decides to establish the run keeping the Browns in the game.

  10. #10
    Sweetchuck's Avatar
    Status : Sweetchuck is offline
    Rank : The Elite
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Location : You need a ****ing canoe to get to it.
    Posts : 3,100
    Threads : 137
    Last Online : Jan-22-2014 @ 04:02 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone ready to stick up for Arians now???
    Nope.

  11. #11
    BigBen2112's Avatar
    Status : BigBen2112 is offline
    Rank : Hall Of Famer
    Join Date : Oct 13, 2009
    Posts : 5,773
    Threads : 135
    Last Online : Jun-03-2014 @ 02:44 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    I think that in many ways the Steelers need to let Ben win games...b/c the D is certainly not shutting the door on leads. However, I think the way that Ben does that is by having more control of the offense, not necessarily by simply throwing the ball more. For the second game in a row Mendenhall had 5+ yards per carry and he wasnt given the ball hardly at all. I doubt that was Ben's call. I think if Ben is given control of the offense we'll see not only more efficiency on offense, but us closing more games too.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

  12. #12
    Les's Avatar
    Status : Les is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 10, 2009
    Location : Secane,Pa.
    Posts : 10,207
    Threads : 48
    Last Online : Apr-16-2017 @ 11:33 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that in many ways the Steelers need to let Ben win games...b/c the D is certainly not shutting the door on leads. However, I think the way that Ben does that is by having more control of the offense, not necessarily by simply throwing the ball more. For the second game in a row Mendenhall had 5+ yards per carry and he wasnt given the ball hardly at all. I doubt that was Ben's call. I think if Ben is given control of the offense we'll see not only more efficiency on offense, but us closing more games too.
    Why stop there??Why not just give Ben complete control of the offense and eliminate the middle man??

  13. #13
    Steeler Shades's Avatar
    Status : Steeler Shades is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Posts : 1,047
    Threads : 9
    Last Online : Oct-03-2015 @ 01:10 PM

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why stop there??Why not just give Ben complete control of the offense and eliminate the middle man??
    You mean Airens id NOT working for Ben?
    "The brotherhood that the Steelers have, their way of doing business, their way of playing football, spans decades. Their way of building teams that do not blink and players that do not shrink, well, there is nothing come-lately about it."

  14. #14
    BigBen2112's Avatar
    Status : BigBen2112 is offline
    Rank : Hall Of Famer
    Join Date : Oct 13, 2009
    Posts : 5,773
    Threads : 135
    Last Online : Jun-03-2014 @ 02:44 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why stop there??Why not just give Ben complete control of the offense and eliminate the middle man??
    Completely agree. I mean essentially why not have the QB coach be the "OC" in the sense of him workin with the offense in film rooms etc and in practice? I mean New England has before had basically a glorified QB coach as their OC and they did pretty OK!


    Maybe cheating helped though too...not sure.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

  15. #15
    Les's Avatar
    Status : Les is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 10, 2009
    Location : Secane,Pa.
    Posts : 10,207
    Threads : 48
    Last Online : Apr-16-2017 @ 11:33 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steeler Shades View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You mean Airens id NOT working for Ben?
    Ummmm,did you say something??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •