Thread: Pirates' Ohlendorf likely done for year with lat muscle injury

Threads : 691

Default Pirates' Ohlendorf likely done for year with lat muscle injury

Pirates' Ohlendorf likely done for year with lat muscle injury
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010
    By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Peter Diana/Post-GazettePirates pitcher Ross Ohlendorf hangs his head as the Houston Astros' Hunter Pence rounds the bases after hitting a solo home run during a game earlier this season.The Pirates appear to have lost pitcher Ross Ohlendorf for the season -- though neither the team nor the player have completely ruled out a return -- after he was diagnosed with a strained lat muscle behind his right shoulder this morning.

Asked in the afternoon at PNC Park when he might be ready to pitch, Ohlendorf replied, "For next season, for sure, after I build up the arm strength again and everything heals. There could be a start or two at the end, but the most important thing with an injury like this is to be careful."

The MRI taken in the morning showed a strain to the latissimus dorsi/teres major muscles behind the right shoulder. There was no ligament damage, no damage to the rotator cuff and no cause for surgery, Ohlendorf said the doctors told him.

"I'm very relieved with the diagnosis," Ohlendorf said. "I hadn't had anything like that. Didn't know what to expect. I was afraid it might be worse. To know I'm going to make a full recovery, pretty much without question, is really encouraging."

Manager John Russell said that the Pirates' doctors would have greater detail tomorrow, but Ohlendorf said he has no further tests scheduled.

Ohlendorf has not yet been placed on the disabled list, but that will happen soon. His next turn in the rotation was set for Sunday in Milwaukee, and the Pirates will need to either shift someone from their bullpen such as Daniel McCutchen or Sean Gallagher, or recall someone from Class AAA Indianapolis. Best bet for the latter is Charlie Morton.

Russell declined to discuss possible replacements.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10236...#ixzz0xZAl2GyY
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pirates' Ohlendorf likely done for year with lat muscle injury

Had a feeling about this when they talked about his shoulder after the game and such. didn't think he'd pitch again this season. Really sucks. Dorf was really pitching well in july and August. Putting up ERA's in the 2's and low 3's in those months along with K/9's of 8.2 in July and 7.7 in August. most impressive is how his command was getting even better in august as he was allowing less hits and saw his WHIP fall to a 1.091. His stats could possibly be better had he not gotten charged with the 2 runs last night
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The good news is that he can go back to work for the government. That should help the shoulder heal no problem.

On a less sarcastic note...he was pitching better and it makes you wonder why he pitched so poorly at the beginning of the year.

It is time, though I think, for management to rid the fans of the coaching disaster because these guys certainly are not getting the best or even 1/2 the best out of all their players.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The good news is that he can go back to work for the government. That should help the shoulder heal no problem.

On a less sarcastic note...he was pitching better and it makes you wonder why he pitched so poorly at the beginning of the year.

It is time, though I think, for management to rid the fans of the coaching disaster because these guys certainly are not getting the best or even 1/2 the best out of all their players.
    What Ohlendorf was doing in July and August is more along the lines of the expectation I had for him. Maybe not an ERA in the high 2's and low 3's, but a WHIP that could be in the 1.20's with an improved K/9 that got into the 7's. I think the problem with Ohlendorf earlier on was control which has been a big issue for the Starting Rotation all year long. His BB/9 rose a full point from a good 2.7 to 3.7. you put guys on base at that rate and you're going to give up more hits than usual.

In April and May, Ohlendorf had a BB/9 of 5.4 and 5.7 and actually, Ohlendorf managed through April to put up a decent ERA of 3.60. May and June is where he had issues. His BB/9 was corrected by the time June hit but his K/9 declined in June and teams started hitting for a higher average off of him. I don't think Ross Ohlendorf can be an effective contact pitcher but something strange happened in June too... His Ground Ball rate skyrocketed to 40%. Ohlendorf is a Fly Ball pitcher. He's like the anti-Zach Duke. His GB% is usually in the 20-30% range. He also had an increase on his Line Drives as well in June. I wonder if some that had to do with pitching too much with guys on base.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 691

Ohlendorf placed on DL, Burres recalled
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    With Ross Ohlendorf unavailable until somewhere between September's end and next April due to a strained lat muscle in his right, throwing shoulder, the Pirates this afternoon formally placed him on the 15-day disabled list and recalled left-hander Brian Burres from Class AAA Indianapolis.

Ohlendorf felt discomfort a few days prior to Monday's start, in which he lasted just eight pitches against St. Louis.

Burres could represent the bullpen help the Pirates were expected to summon hastily. But he also could throw an inning or so tonight, then take over Ohlendorf's spot in the rotation Sunday at Milwaukee. Recalling Charlie Morton from Indianapolis remains another option for the Pirates' starting vacancy Saturday.

This marked the third time Burres has been recalled this season. He was 2-3 with a 5.62 ERA in 41 2/3 innings in his first go-round.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10237...#ixzz0xf2JG11i
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information