Thread: McFadden out with injury; Keenan practices

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default McFadden out with injury; Keenan practices

Steelers' Bryant McFadden out with injury; Keenan practices
    By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Keenan Lewis practiced with the first-team at left cornerback today because Bryant McFadden was sidelined with a right pectoral muscle injury.

McFadden suffered the injury in the second quarter of Saturday night's win against the New York Giants while attempting to stop Ahmad Bradshaw's 9-yard touchdown run.

McFadden said his condition is "day-to-day" and he doesn't know if he will play in Sunday night's preseason game at Denver.

Lewis, a third-round draft pick who played sparingly as a rookie last season, practiced with the first-team for the first time.

"I'm out here to practice and get better," said Lewis, who has worked as McFadden's backup. "It's big to have an opportunity to put something on tape."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_696473.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: McFadden out with injury; Keenan practices

Perfect time to see what the kid can do.I sure as hell hope he shines.We're gonna need someone to take Ike's place when he bolts.

Threads : 60

I too think Ike is history.

Threads : 1

If I was McFadden, I would want to do everything in my power to get healthy. Lewis has an opportunity to shine, and who knows, if he plays well, McFadden could find himself splitting time Lewis (just as he found himself splitting time with Gay his last season here).

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we have to suffer through another year of Gay, I'm going to plunge a ****ing pencil into my heart.

Threads : 440

Lewis gets first-team work at left cornerback

By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Thursday, August 26, 2010

Bryant McFadden
    Christopher Horner | Tribune-Review file

There were two new faces in the secondary when the Steelers returned to practice Wednesday.

Newcomer Will Allen took snaps at free safety with the first-team defense in anticipation of Ryan Clark missing Sunday's preseason game at Denver because of concerns about how he would respond to playing with the sickle cell trait in high altitude.

Allen's presence with the starters was expected. Keenan Lewis practicing at left cornerback with the first team was unexpected.

"I'm out here to practice and get better," said Lewis, a third-round pick in 2009 who worked with the first-team for the first time in his career. "It's big to have the opportunity to put something on tape."

Lewis replaced Bryant McFadden, who injured his right pectoral muscle during the second quarter of Saturday's preseason win against the New York Giants. McFadden sustained the injury while attempting to stop Ahmad Bradshaw's 9-yard touchdown run.

"I knew something was wrong right away," said McFadden, who missed yesterday's practice at the team's South Side facility.

McFadden, who started both preseason games and has practiced exclusively with the first team, said he will proceed with caution.

"I'll see how it feels (today)," he said. "It's almost like a hamstring injury. Be careful and cautious about how you monitor it. Right now, it's a day-to-day process."

McFadden, a second-round draft pick in 2005 who was re-acquired in a draft-day trade, said it's too early to determine if he will play against the Broncos three days from now.

"It all depends on how it goes during the week," said McFadden, who broke his right arm as a member of the Steelers two years ago.

For Lewis, it's an opportunity to show what he can do with the first unit for however long McFadden is sidelined.

As a rookie, Lewis barely played, officially appearing in four games but failing to record a single tackle. Coach Mike Tomlin singled him out for not being able to earn playing time on special teams.

Entering his second season, Lewis has been a starter on special teams while backing up McFadden at left corner. He received additional playing time against the Giants when starter Ike Taylor was ejected early in the game for fighting. Lewis finished with three tackles and one pass defensed before leaving with what Tomlin called a mild concussion.

"Everything's OK," said Lewis, who indicated he has no lingering effects from the concussion.

As for receiving more playing time at left cornerback, Lewis replied, "I'm going to take advantage (of the opportunity). I think I've been doing a good job, making plays against some elite receivers. Been holding my own. When I get my chance, it'll show."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_696562.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information