Thread: New Look #NHL? How Will the New Rule Ideas Affect the #Pens?

Threads : 14
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default New Look #NHL? How Will the New Rule Ideas Affect the #Pens?

http://www.everythingpittsburgh.net/...ffect-the-pens

The NHL just held its annual Research and Development Camp, which is an event where the NHL leaders get to try out new rule ideas and see how they pan out on ice. It is interesting to see what ideas they come up with and thinking of how they will look if they would implement them. I get excited at the possibilities. I am going to tell you some of the ideas and then explain what they could mean for the NHL next season if implemented.

Follow up:

Here are some of the ideas tried out at the camp:

Hybrid icing rule
    Basically, this rule is awesome, it protects the players from charging into the corners for an icing. It does put more power in the referees hands as a judgement call, but it will speed up the game and save some injuries. This rule would allow the linesman to call icing if he feels that the defender will clearly reach the puck first. It was truly tested out over the past Olympics and worked out well.

No line change for team committing an offside
    It will work almost like it does when a penalty is committed. It would definitely make the offsides more costly. I do think, however, it would slow down the games. You think of all the tired players on the ice moving slower.

Crease reset rule
    I do not like this idea at all, it will most definitely slow down the games. If the attacking player is in the crease or if the attacking player prevents the goalie from defending his goal, the play shall be blown dead. The faceoff would then go to the neutral zone. Isn't that called a penalty?

Face-off variation (face-off controlled by whistle in place of traditional puck drop)
    It is like street hockey back when we were young. The ref would place the puck on the faceoff dot and the players would line up as usual. The ref would then blow the whistle for the faceoff to start. This would benefit the quick handed centers in the league. I like the art and the battle that is the faceoff. I don't want to see this happen.I don't think it benefits the game.

Overtime: three minutes of 4-of-4, three minutes of 3-on-3, three minutes of 2-on-2, followed by shootout (5 players per team).
    I personally hate this one. I am a proponent of 10 min overtime, first 5 is 5-on-5, the second five is 4-on-4. Then a shootout. I think more games would be decided in OT then.

Bigger crease
    I see how they think this will be better, but I see the goal scoring going down. If a player can't score the cheap goal from time to time, then how is this helping the game? The refs need to make sure they are calling penalties in that situation if the situation deems necessary.

Verification goal line (additional line situated behind the goal line)
    I love this one. A gold line behind the red scoring line. It is more for the instant replay. If the puck touches the gold line, it is a goal. It makes the whole did it or did it not cross thing easier.

Wider blue lines
    This will help with the power plays more than anything, in my opinion, you know the defenseman at the point will have more room to hold the puck in. I am sort of divided here. I think it will give the points some more leeway, but is it really necessary?

Line changes zone in front of each bench
    I find this idea interesting. It seems like it would slow the game down, but I think just the opposite. It would force teams to work on shorter shifts, so they aren't too tired to get back to the bench.

Face-off variations (infringement results in the offending player moving back further, three face-off dots down the middle of the ice)
    As far as the offending player moving back, I like this. It forces the player that cheats to have a disadvantage, which would eliminate the need to have more than one center on the ice in certain situations.
    As far as the three dots. I think that puts too much stuff on the ice. It isn't necessary.

No icing the puck while shorthanded
    I can't say that I like this idea. I guess the logic is to penalize the offending team more, but I don't think it does anything for the game.

Five Man Shootout
    I think that people already don't like the games being decided by a shootout, why would they prolong it? Besides, how many good shootout artists are there in the NHL?

Shallow nets
    This is supposed to make more room behind the net for skating. I get this. It isn't bad and may speed it up. Also, this might prevent the whole entire goalie from hiding in the net when the pressure comes, causing more penalties. It also would make it more difficult to tell if a goal is scored, which would cause more instant replays.

Switch ends during overtime
    This seems more fair. I like it.

Red mesh nets
    It is supposed to make the net more visible. Whatever. I like the bottom of the nets color that is changing so you can see the puck better.

Second referee removed from the ice
    I like this because where they are putting him gives a better view. However, he is only on one side, so it would be better coverage on one side and not the other.

Delayed penalty rule
    I kinda like this. A defending team which has committed a penalty would have to, not only gain control of the puck, but get the puck from their zone before the penalty is called. It would make it more exciting, thats for sure.

Plexiglass Tops to the Net
    I suppose this makes the puck easier to knock off when it lands on top. It makes sense, but where would the goalie keep his round water bottle?

There is more to the article, but I just wanted to put out the rules they were looking at. Some of them were ok, but some, in my opinion were just stupid. What do you think?

Threads : 0
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: New Look #NHL? How Will the New Rule Ideas Affect the #Pens?

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the plexiglass tops were supposed to make it easier for Toronto to get a clearer overhead view of where the puck is.

Is it? It sorta makes sense, i just don't like the idea of not knocking the water bottle off with a sharply roofed shot!

Agreed. Seeing the water bottle fly off is cool.

The league can try to make things "easier" for Toronto all they want, but it's pointless unless they change things like the "intent to blow" rule.

But they do "intend" to blow

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by everythingpitt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.everythingpittsburgh.net/...ffect-the-pens

The NHL just held its annual Research and Development Camp, which is an event where the NHL leaders get to try out new rule ideas and see how they pan out on ice. It is interesting to see what ideas they come up with and thinking of how they will look if they would implement them. I get excited at the possibilities. I am going to tell you some of the ideas and then explain what they could mean for the NHL next season if implemented.

Follow up:

Here are some of the ideas tried out at the camp:

Hybrid icing rule
    Basically, this rule is awesome, it protects the players from charging into the corners for an icing. It does put more power in the referees hands as a judgement call, but it will speed up the game and save some injuries. This rule would allow the linesman to call icing if he feels that the defender will clearly reach the puck first. It was truly tested out over the past Olympics and worked out well.

Makes sense. Keeps ******bags like Perm Hartnell more honest from performing said ******baggery

No line change for team committing an offside
    It will work almost like it does when a penalty is committed. It would definitely make the offsides more costly. I do think, however, it would slow down the games. You think of all the tired players on the ice moving slower.

I don't mind this one. I doubt it effects the pace of the games or anything. Just sort of tacking on another "penalty" to a team I guess

Crease reset rule
    I do not like this idea at all, it will most definitely slow down the games. If the attacking player is in the crease or if the attacking player prevents the goalie from defending his goal, the play shall be blown dead. The faceoff would then go to the neutral zone. Isn't that called a penalty?

The rule itself is fine. It either doesn't happen often and/or it doesn't get called when it should. MAF would know about the not geting called part.

I'd be more impressed if the league enforced their existing rules first

Face-off variation (face-off controlled by whistle in place of traditional puck drop)
    It is like street hockey back when we were young. The ref would place the puck on the faceoff dot and the players would line up as usual. The ref would then blow the whistle for the faceoff to start. This would benefit the quick handed centers in the league. I like the art and the battle that is the faceoff. I don't want to see this happen.I don't think it benefits the game.

Oh hell no.

Overtime: three minutes of 4-of-4, three minutes of 3-on-3, three minutes of 2-on-2, followed by shootout (5 players per team).
    I personally hate this one. I am a proponent of 10 min overtime, first 5 is 5-on-5, the second five is 4-on-4. Then a shootout. I think more games would be decided in OT then.

I'm with ya, Toad. Talk about making something super complicated. Just extend the period an extra 5 minutes

Bigger crease
    I see how they think this will be better, but I see the goal scoring going down. If a player can't score the cheap goal from time to time, then how is this helping the game? The refs need to make sure they are calling penalties in that situation if the situation deems necessary.

Hate this. Instead, why not just call goalie interference to solve similar problems? Holmstroms career would die suddenly (sorry Kz )

Verification goal line (additional line situated behind the goal line)
    I love this one. A gold line behind the red scoring line. It is more for the instant replay. If the puck touches the gold line, it is a goal. It makes the whole did it or did it not cross thing easier.

Seems pointless. you're going from the color "red" to "white" I don't know what an additional line is going to add that you can't tell between the color red ending and turning into all white

Wider blue lines
    This will help with the power plays more than anything, in my opinion, you know the defenseman at the point will have more room to hold the puck in. I am sort of divided here. I think it will give the points some more leeway, but is it really necessary?

Not neccessary

Line changes zone in front of each bench
    I find this idea interesting. It seems like it would slow the game down, but I think just the opposite. It would force teams to work on shorter shifts, so they aren't too tired to get back to the bench.

not sure I understand this.. is there a zone in front of the bench that you can be in without having to go over the boards to not be considered too many on the ice?

Face-off variations (infringement results in the offending player moving back further, three face-off dots down the middle of the ice)
    As far as the offending player moving back, I like this. It forces the player that cheats to have a disadvantage, which would eliminate the need to have more than one center on the ice in certain situations.
    As far as the three dots. I think that puts too much stuff on the ice. It isn't necessary.

Not a fan

No icing the puck while shorthanded
    I can't say that I like this idea. I guess the logic is to penalize the offending team more, but I don't think it does anything for the game.

You have to have some defensive element in the game. Icing the puck is reward for the Defense/PK doing their job

Five Man Shootout
    I think that people already don't like the games being decided by a shootout, why would they prolong it? Besides, how many good shootout artists are there in the NHL?

I love the shootout personally but I like it how it is. no need to change it

Shallow nets
    This is supposed to make more room behind the net for skating. I get this. It isn't bad and may speed it up. Also, this might prevent the whole entire goalie from hiding in the net when the pressure comes, causing more penalties. It also would make it more difficult to tell if a goal is scored, which would cause more instant replays.

What I dont like about this is that it will probably cause a ton of congestion around the goal. what works well for the bulky nets is that it creates seperation to prevent guys doing nothing but get garbage goals. I don't really want to see garbage goals increase

Switch ends during overtime
    This seems more fair. I like it.

Eh... Give the home team the choice

Red mesh nets
    It is supposed to make the net more visible. Whatever. I like the bottom of the nets color that is changing so you can see the puck better.

Are NHL players blind? Deal with the white nets that have been part of the league for an eternity

I like this because where they are putting him gives a better view. However, he is only on one side, so it would be better coverage on one side and not the other.

Doubt we'd see a drop off in performance

Delayed penalty rule
    I kinda like this. A defending team which has committed a penalty would have to, not only gain control of the puck, but get the puck from their zone before the penalty is called. It would make it more exciting, thats for sure.

I like this one. To me this is truer "possession".

Plexiglass Tops to the Net
    I suppose this makes the puck easier to knock off when it lands on top. It makes sense, but where would the goalie keep his round water bottle?

Even if Ksz is right and she probably is, I havent realized an instance where the net has obstructed a camera view yet

There is more to the article, but I just wanted to put out the rules they were looking at. Some of them were ok, but some, in my opinion were just stupid. What do you think?
    I know that some will object to this one but it;s a rule I'd love to see enforced ...

Make intentionally blocking shots illegal. I HATE seeing guys ****ing sliding all around to block shots. It causes injuries if you want to go the "protection" route but it just feels like it cheapens the game. I'm fine with guys getting their bodies in the way while they are on their skates and getting in the way of shots and blocking them that way, but the sliding with nothing but an intent to block shots ... see ya.

Get rid of the **** instigator rule too
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 61

My two cents:

1. Hybrid icing rule: I don't like this at all. The NHL already has too much gray area it needs to get rid of. This will just add more. You have to go one way or the other: touch up icing, or automatic. Don't make it a judgment call.

2. No line change for team committing an offside: I actually like this. It seems silly to me that the only punishment for this is to have a face off just outside the zone.

3.Crease reset rule: Bad idea. It'll slow down the game. Besides, this could actually hurt the defensive team. What happens if an attacker takes himself out of a play by falling into the net, creating an odd man rush the other way?

4. Face-off variation (face-off controlled by whistle in place of traditional puck drop): Just silly

5. Overtime: three minutes of 4-of-4, three minutes of 3-on-3, three minutes of 2-on-2, followed by shootout (5 players per team).: I love this idea EXCEPT for the 2 on 2. That just seems stupid. In 3 on 3 OT, I would like to see all penalties result in a penalty shot. I would also like to suggest that a team only get a point for losing a shootout. To me, that justifies giving a point to a loser. It's basically a tie at the end of actual game play, giving the extra point to the team that wins the shootout. I think this could satisfy both the pro- and anti- shootout crowds.

6. Bigger crease: Stupid....just enforce the rules you already have. They're good rules.

7. Verification goal line (additional line situated behind the goal line): At first I thought it was silly, and really wouldn't help. But I guess if you see ANY part of the puck touching it, you know it's a goal, even if the front end of the puck is covered by someone's arm. I can live with or without this one.

8. Wider blue lines: Why not just make the zones bigger? Now that we have eliminated the two line pass rule, I think the neutral zone is too big anyway.

9. Line changes zone in front of each bench: I don't get this one. Don't we already have a zone? Just enforce it more strictly.

10. Face-off variations (infringement results in the offending player moving back further, three face-off dots down the middle of the ice): Yeah, the extra dots is a bad idea. I think there's already too many rules on the face off. Just drop the puck, and let the players fight for it. The only rule should be the puck has to touch the ice first. All the rules defeat the whole purpose of the modern face off. The puck used to be placed between players, and the ref made sure no one cheated. One ref (I don't recall his name right now) got tired of getting hit in the shins with sticks, so he decided to simply drop the puck and run, and let the players fight it out themselves. That's how it should be today.

11.No icing the puck while shorthanded: I actually love this idea. I think it's ridiculous that a 30% efficiency rate on the power play is considered good. It doesn't make very many teams worry about really respecting the rules. Even the worst penalty killers are around 70% successful. Imagine four men already tired from chasing the puck around having to stay on the ice after an icing. It would really make guys like a Darien Hatcher think twice about sending a message to a Sidney Crosby.

12. Five Man Shootout: Love this idea. Again, I think it would justify giving an extra point to a winner. It allows a good goaltender to recover from a mistake that could otherwise cost him the game against a lesser goal tender. And on the other side, a lesser goal tender has to earn a win rather than get lucky by getting a couple week shots and a complete miss. The same could almost be said about the shooters as well.

13. Shallow nets: This will end up just slowing the game down with more reviews as the pucks will bounce in and out a lot quicker.

14 Switch ends during overtime: I can live with or without this one too. I don't see how it changes anything unless you're playing outdoors, and wind is a factor.....also, as a season ticket holder, I want to keep the Penguins attacking on my end as much as possible.

15. Red mesh nets: For who? Who is having a hard time seeing the nets? Players? Fans? Refs? Beer Vendors?

16. Second referee removed from the ice: I have mixed feelings about this. I am for it only if it's for major penalties or blatant cheap shots that occur behind a play. Leave all the minor stuff to the refs on the ice.

17. Delayed penalty rule: I agree that the penalized team should have to show full control of the puck before play is stopped. What happens if a team already short handed commits another penalty. They may actually be willing to hold on to the puck a little to shorten the 5 on 3 as much as possible. Also, if a team is clinging to a one goal lead with 20 seconds left, what's going to stop them from taking an intentional penalty to stop a prime scoring chance, and taking their chances with playing with the puck for awhile before exiting the zone. It's a risky move, but I can see teams trying it, and succeeding.

18. Plexiglass Tops to the Net: Not sure about this one. Are we going to have problems with it shattering too frequently?

7. Verification goal line (additional line situated behind the goal line): At first I thought it was silly, and really wouldn't help. But I guess if you see ANY part of the puck touching it, you know it's a goal, even if the front end of the puck is covered by someone's arm. I can live with or without this one.

I thought about this one and while i still think it's useless.. if you can't determine with a black thing went over line from red to white, what the hell other color than white is going to be better? but what about some sort of lasrer in the pipes. Yes, i want frickin' lasers

Put something like an infrared laser with say something in the puck or whatever to detect. It goes off ONLY in toronto with a time stamp since pucks go into the net often without goals happening.

Lets get high tech ****it!

Threads : 61

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I know that some will object to this one but it;s a rule I'd love to see enforced ...

Make intentionally blocking shots illegal. I HATE seeing guys ****ing sliding all around to block shots. It causes injuries if you want to go the "protection" route but it just feels like it cheapens the game. I'm fine with guys getting their bodies in the way while they are on their skates and getting in the way of shots and blocking them that way, but the sliding with nothing but an intent to block shots ... see ya.

I'm all in favor of getting rid of the instigator rule.

I actually agree with you about sliding to block shots too. I'm going to assume you also mean that the sliding to stop passes should be gone too? The NHL obsesses too much over how to generate more goals to make the game more exciting. What they really should do is think about how to increase scoring chances. A 1-0 game can be plenty fun to watch if the goal tenders are making great saves, and there are a bunch of big hits. A blocked shot doesn't necessarily just prevent a goal. It prevents a chance to get a loose puck bouncing around in the crease. A good slide can also neutralize a 2-1 if the D-man isn't positioned properly. If Malkin doesn't get an incredibly lucky bounce, we never see this goal, and who knows what happens after that:

If the puck doesn't go right back to Geno's stick, Ericsson bails out the Wings with his dive. The Pens wouldn't even get a shot on goal. I just don't think it should be that easy to fix a melt down.
    Last edited by El Sid; Aug-26-2010 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Bigger crease

Hate this. Instead, why not just call goalie interference to solve similar problems? Holmstroms career would die suddenly (sorry Kz )

Doubt we'd see a drop off in performance

Haha, Holmstrom was the first person I thought of when I saw that rule. He'd actually have to work (harder) to score goals =]

If they're going to have a ref off the ice overlooking it, then it'd better be a THIRD ref, not the second. From a spectator's perspective, unless you're in there, you can't always see everything. One of the blogs from the camp mentioned that the ref off the ice didn't have as much visibility as he would have if he were on the ice.

And yes, I agree, get rid of the instigator rule too. There's STILL people complaining about Malkin not getting suspended from the 09 playoffs...people don't fully understand the rule and get ****ed because it's not being "enforced."

Quote Originally Posted by El Sid View Post
    I'm all in favor of getting rid of the instigator rule.

I actually agree with you about sliding to block shots too. I'm going to assume you also mean that the sliding to stop passes should be gone too? The NHL obsesses too much over how to generate more goals to make the game more exciting. What they really should do is think about how to increase scoring chances. A 1-0 game can be plenty fun to watch if the goal tenders are making great saves, and there are a bunch of big hits. A blocked shot doesn't necessarily just prevent a goal. It prevents a chance to get a loose puck bouncing around in the crease. A good slide can also neutralize a 2-1 if the D-man isn't positioned properly. If Malkin doesn't get an incredibly lucky bounce, we never see this goal, and who knows what happens after that:

If the puck doesn't go right back to Geno's stick, Ericsson bails out the Wings with his dive. The Pens wouldn't even get a shot on goal. I just don't think it should be that easy to fix a melt down.
    Oh yes... I'd like to call it "intent to slide". If you slide with the intent to stop a puck, then you get penalized.

Shots, passes... both would apply.

It does exactly what you said too... increase scoring chances. To me sliding to block passes and shots is unnecesary like clutch and grabbing, plus it all save some faces

Quote Originally Posted by kszielin View Post
    Haha, Holmstrom was the first person I thought of when I saw that rule. He'd actually have to work (harder) to score goals =]

If they're going to have a ref off the ice overlooking it, then it'd better be a THIRD ref, not the second. From a spectator's perspective, unless you're in there, you can't always see everything. One of the blogs from the camp mentioned that the ref off the ice didn't have as much visibility as he would have if he were on the ice.

And yes, I agree, get rid of the instigator rule too. There's STILL people complaining about Malkin not getting suspended from the 09 playoffs...people don't fully understand the rule and get ****ed because it's not being "enforced."
    I Agree with having an extra guy off the ice but not taking from what we have on the ice to do it. The refsas it is now miss far too much. granted 75% of it is turning their head

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information