Thread: Who will fall short of the hype and who will surprise us?

Threads : 91

Default Who will fall short of the hype and who will surprise us?

Since all the talk about our O line and aging D is driving me nuts, let's hear your thoughts on who will fall short of the hype and who will surprise us this year.

FALL SHORT:
    1. Jets................Despite all the talk, they were a 500 team last year and have added a bunch of potential headaches and misfits. (They miss the playoffs)

2. Saints.............20% fluke and 80% hangover but they will not compete for the title again this year.

3. Vikings..............Tougher division, Favre will have a mediocre year, injuries, the list goes on.

4. Patriots...........Great coaching, great organization, but Brady is on the down hill slide.

5. Bengals........... Terrible coaching, terrible organization, talent out the *** as usual, back to reality for the thugs in southwest Ohio.

6. Cowboys.............You can always count on the Cowboys and Bengals to fall short of the hype......book it!

SURPRISE

1. Browns and Lions............. They won't compete for playoff spots but for once they won't look like they always look.

2. 49ers.......... Alex Smith is pretty good and Singletary is building a team plus they're in a division where a decent team will stand out, a good team could look worldly.

3. Eagles....... McNaab was over-rated, Kolb is not.
    Last edited by Stone; Aug-27-2010 at 08:18 AM.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Who will fall short of the hype and who will surprise us?

Within the next 10 days, I expect the media's bizarre, almost fetishistic love of the Chargers to re-emerge. There is only one thing left for them to do: Fail.

It seems to be an annual thing. The Chargers get to the play-offs (no small achievement) but then just don't have the elusive "it". In the mean time, most of the pundits won't cite them as prospective Super Bowl winners but they carry on what's tantamount to a clandestine affair with the idea that Rivers' turn to lift the trophy might be this year.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 87
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Since all the talk about our O line and aging D is driving me nuts, let's hear your thoughts on who will fall short of the hype and who will surprise us this year.

FALL SHORT:
    1. Jets................Despite all the talk, they were a 500 team last year and have added a bunch of potential headaches and misfits. (They miss the playoffs)

I agree with you here. Talent yes, headaches; big time!

2. Saints.............20% fluke and 80% hangover but they will not compete for the title again this year.

20% fluke/(luck) probably applies to most superbowl winners. I think they have a good team and could be in the mix again this year.

3. Vikings..............Tougher division, Favre will have a mediocre year, injuries, the list goes on.

4. Patriots...........Great coaching, great organization, but Brady is on the down hill slide.

Brady has been on the dowmside since they stopped video cheating, funny how having a heads up on every play makes you look like a great QB.

5. Bengals........... Terrible coaching, terrible organization, talent out the *** as usual, back to reality for the thugs in southwest Ohio.

Yep.

6. Cowboys.............You can always count on the Cowboys and Bengals to fall short of the hype......book it!

*****pies are the most overhyped sports team in world history. I love when they crash and burn! Tony Homo is a choke artist, even my sister (a huge *****pie fan) agrees.

SURPRISE

1. Browns and Lions............. They won't compete for playoff spots but for once they won't look like they always look.

I don't see the Clowns being any different than usual. If the Lions win 3 games they will be on the up, but what is that really saying?

2. 49ers.......... Alex Smith is pretty good and Singletary is building a team plus they're in a division where a decent team will stand out, a good team could look worldly.

49ers have a good team. Alex Smith will probably be their undoing though. How many years do you keep believing in the tooth fairy, even if he is named Alex Smith...Kordell Stewart...etc...
    I hope someone steps up in that division. The Cardinals are pretenders in a weak division, but I think they implode this year with the loss of...meh, talent and that other tooth fairy Matt Wienert.

3. Eagles....... McNaab was over-rated, Cobb is not.
    McNaab was never over-rated as a **** good QB, as a great QB...maybe. Cobb, we'll see what happens.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good Question. Very Difficult Question.

something is going to happen in the AFC South where the Houston exans improve. I think they can take a step forward this season. Not sure it means overtaking the Colts for the division but it's going to be enough to knock another team from the playoffs

SUPRISE

Houston Texans - team has a lot of offense and just seem to be a play or 2 away from a 10-11 win team

DECLINE

Philadelphia Eagles ... Kolb stinks. Major downgrade in QB's.

IMPROVEMENT

Washington - Mike Shanahan can coach and more importantly he can coach for the present.
    Atlanta - Team is just going to get better each year and with some luck from the health department. Injuries set them back last year
    San Francisco - Slowly building a good foundation and due to Arizona not having a QB that's worth a crap, the 49ers could surprise and take that division

That's really about all of the major changes I see. Any one of the Balitmore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, New York Jets and New England Patriots could miss the playoffs in the AFC

I think in the NFC, Philly's decline with an improvement from the Redskins and Giants should make that division tighter but also kill a playoff spot in that division where a team like Atlanta who was some injuries away last year should come in and swipe it.

Most of the teams that didn't make the playoffs last year I don't see getting in this year unless they were on that edge (Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Houston).

[
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 60

Surprise the Texans, Eagles and the Browns will raise their heads from the laughing stock of the NFL.

Flops. Chargers, Vikings, Colts, Ravens

That's all for now

Threads : 49

I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets finished with the same record as last year, 9-7. I'm still not convinced Sanchez will be a legitimately good NFL QB. He sucked towards the end of last year and he wasn't even asked to do much. Amazing how much hype this team gets.

I actually think Kolb has looked pretty good so far at QB for the Eagles.

I think the Packers could be a really good team this year, potentially.

I think the Vikings will be really good again, there is a lot of talent on that team.

It's funny that no one is talking about the Saints at all, or at least it seems like it.

I think the Pats could be pretty good, I hate to say that, but I got a bad feeling.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information