Thread: Pouncey locks up starting spot for Steelers

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pouncey locks up starting spot for Steelers

Pouncey locks up starting spot for Steelers

Posted by eric.schmidt August 26, 2010
    http://www.steelerschronicle.com/201...steelers.html/

The Pittsburgh Steelers have announced the first round selection C Maurkice Pouncey has become the #1 center on the depth chart. The selection of Pouncey in this year’s draft seemed like a perfect fit for the versatile lineman. The Steelers had originally thought they would start Pouncey at right guard but in off season workouts, the Steelers decided they would move him to the center position and try to earn the starting spot over Justin Hartwig.

Pouncey told reporters, “It put a big smile on me. I ain’t gonna lie, but I just need to go out there and practice every day. I want to stay humble. I’m happy about it. I just want to stay humble and keep working at it”.

Head coach Mike Tomlin told the media, “Maurkice Pouncey has done a nice job with every opportunity we have given him thus far. We continue to give him more opportunities”.

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pouncey locks up starting spot for Steelers

Hopefully this finally fills the gap that was left when Hartings retired. Mahan was awful and Hartwig was serviceable at best.

So now if all goes well its the Mansfield, Webster, Dawson, Hartings, Pouncey lineage of centers.
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bdeff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hopefully this finally fills the gap that was left when Hartings retired. Mahan was awful and Hartwig was serviceable at best.

So now if all goes well its the Mansfield, Webster, Dawson, Hartings, Pouncey lineage of centers.
    When Hartwig was initially signed, I seem to recall him being alluded to as a stopgap. For a temp, he's hing around pretty well, especially for a temp with only one gear - reverse.

Pouncey is looking pretty good, though we'll see more in the next year or two, but I'm a little hopeful.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 60

WE have been blessed with great centers over the years. Hartings too can be mentioned with our centers because this guy came from a crummy team, learned a new position and did it well enough to make it to the pro bowl. I think Pouncey will rank up there with Dirt and the others. Wait and see our running game come back to imposing its will. A great center allows for the extra octane in the running game. Hopefully with this we can now punch in the one or two yards needed at times.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hartings too can be mentioned with our centers because this guy came from a crummy team, learned a new position and did it well enough to make it to the pro bowl.
    Agreed... I'm glad to see Pouncey get the starting nod, but would not have been too disappointed or disallusioned if he had not... Remember, Mike Webster started his first year as a backup guard/center...

At this point, I am now expecting great things from him (Pouncey), although we'll all have to be a bit understanding if he experiences a bit of a "learning curve" during the season.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Ny I agree and I remmeber a guy name Dermonti having a couple of bad plays during his learning curve.

Pouncey is the newest youngest guy on the line and he played the best. I wonder if the Steelers feel less than confident with Essex, will they keep Hartwig at center and move Pouncey at guard ?

sjdrewk

One of the few bright spots in last nights game...so young to be handling starting c.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information