Thread: If Garrett Jones and Lastings Milledge...

Threads : 197

Default If Garrett Jones and Lastings Milledge...

are regular players for the team in 2011 I don't see any way they don't lose 100 games again. I know everyone likes to look at SS, but 1B and RF are the two biggest holes on the team. You need guys who can hit in those spots or you're way behind just about everyone. Maybe my brain is just clouded by having to watch Jones fail to throw a ball to second base from first again (he's botched that throw 5 or 6 times this year) or Milledge taking an awful route and basically creating 5 runs himself on defense, but I don't think either guy has an above average skill compared to others at those positions. They don't hit for average, they don't draw walks, they're poor defensively, etc.

Jones has hit a few HRs, but a .419 SLG and a .172 ISO just makes you a bottom 10 1B in the league. It's tough to give up on a guy who was one of the only highlights on a terrible team last year, but the last several months he's been killing the lineup.

Milledge has hit lefties, but that's about it. I would say that maybe they could be used as platoon players, but Jones hasn't really hit righties. If the team wants to even be respectable you need to upgrade over those two players.

Threads : 691

Default Re: If Garrett Jones and Lastings Milledge...

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    are regular players for the team in 2011 I don't see any way they don't lose 100 games again. I know everyone likes to look at SS, but 1B and RF are the two biggest holes on the team. You need guys who can hit in those spots or you're way behind just about everyone. Maybe my brain is just clouded by having to watch Jones fail to throw a ball to second base from first again (he's botched that throw 5 or 6 times this year) or Milledge taking an awful route and basically creating 5 runs himself on defense, but I don't think either guy has an above average skill compared to others at those positions. They don't hit for average, they don't draw walks, they're poor defensively, etc.

Jones has hit a few HRs, but a .419 SLG and a .172 ISO just makes you a bottom 10 1B in the league. [HIGH-LIGHT] It's tough to give up on a guy who was one of the only highlights on a terrible team last year, but the last several months he's been killing the lineup[/HIGH-LIGHT].

Milledge has hit lefties, but that's about it. I would say that maybe they could be used as platoon players, but Jones hasn't really hit righties. If the team wants to even be respectable you need to upgrade over those two players.
    And that's the thing right there. Nate McLouth and Jack Wilson fell into the same catagory,guys that are o.k players,but look better than they are because they are surrounded by crap.No question these positions need major upgrades.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 85
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was thinking that the next move should be to move tabata, as i think we could get an absolutely huge return for him after the year he is having, but the more i look at him play, i dont want to see him go. He definitely doesnt have a corner outfield bat but the man hits and has incredible speed. Jones did but he has been slumping hard and is now way below ave production for 1st or right. Milledge, who knows, i absolutely love the way he plays, i think his bat is halfway decent, but not for a corner outfielder. Not too long ago i thought we had more than enough depth in the outfield. Now im not so sure. Even assuming NH would rather field a speedy team that hits for average and not worry so much about getting power in the lineup, jones is really lacking in both and while milledge does his share of driving in runs, he gives up more than he has driven in with bad defense. Look for a trade of milledge jones doumit this off season.

Threads : 138

Its a curious paradox: The Pirates have a logjam of players at 1B/RF and most of them will be out of options next year and need playing time. Yet, there is no one available to put Jones on the bench right now.

Clement and Pearce are injured. Moss and Bowker are in Indy waiting September callups.

Jones and Milledge's roster spots will be in jeopardy next spring.

Threads : 691

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    Its a curious paradox: The Pirates have a logjam of players at 1B/RF and most of them will be out of options next year and need playing time. Yet, there is no one available to put Jones on the bench right now.

Clement and Pearce are injured. Moss and Bowker are in Indy waiting September callups.

Jones and Milledge's roster spots will be in jeopardy next spring.
    If it were up to me,I'd bring Moss up and start him in right till the end of the season.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jleisele58 View Post
    [HIGH-LIGHT]I was thinking that the next move should be to move tabata, as i think we could get an absolutely huge return for him after the year he is having, but the more i look at him play, i dont want to see him go.[/HIGH-LIGHT] He definitely doesnt have a corner outfield bat but the man hits and has incredible speed. Jones did but he has been slumping hard and is now way below ave production for 1st or right. Milledge, who knows, i absolutely love the way he plays, i think his bat is halfway decent, but not for a corner outfielder. Not too long ago i thought we had more than enough depth in the outfield. Now im not so sure. Even assuming NH would rather field a speedy team that hits for average and not worry so much about getting power in the lineup, jones is really lacking in both and while milledge does his share of driving in runs, he gives up more than he has driven in with bad defense. Look for a trade of milledge jones doumit this off season.

Are you saying to trade Tabata?

Threads : 277

I love Walker's play this year, but I think Tabata has more upside and soon will start hitting for more power.

If "Cutch" doesn't get bored/depressed because of all of the losing and Alvarez just comes along naturally (30 HRs and 100 RBI), I think they have a decent lineup going forward, which needs far better pitching.

Threads : 215

Does this team have more potential or has it already reached it's heights in many areas?

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post
    Are you saying to trade Tabata?
    i was thinking it. This club wont touch anything until we get some freaking pitching around here. Tabata for a couple of arms. I really thought tabata was going to be a Cutch clone, but he is more than that. So i changed my mind about a trade.

Threads : 138

Last night...

"1B John Bowker (.330) hit his fourth home run, a two-run shot, and went 3 for 3 with a double and walk. "

He ought to be permanently inserted into the starting lineup tomorrow (Sept 1) and play every day at 1B and/or RF. Waiting to call Bowker up on Sept 1 was lame.... They better clear a roster spot to bring up Moss as well. I have had enough of the Jones/Milledge/Doumit keystone cops routine...

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jleisele58 View Post
    i was thinking it. This club wont touch anything until we get some freaking pitching around here. Tabata for a couple of arms. I really thought tabata was going to be a Cutch clone, but he is more than that. So i changed my mind about a trade.

They control Tabata for 6 years.

If they trade him now, it would be one of the worst moves they could make.

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post
    They control Tabata for 6 years.

If they trade him now, it would be one of the worst moves they could make.
    even if we had control of the 8 best offensive players to ever live we are not going to score 10 runs every game and we are still going to be below .500

Threads : 3

This is exactly why Bud "the moron" Selig needs to step in and MAKE the Nuttings sell the club to someone who actually understands the game! From scouting to performance to management this club is about 100 points above "cow pies" on the StinkoMeter! As fans we're sitting here talking about Tabata and his six year contract and saying (about trading him) that it could be "one of the worst moves ever?" He's a "punch and judy" hitter at best. No where on his resume does it show that he will hit for power - and that's the point - you end up losing 100+ games when the traditional "power" positions (LF, RF, 3B, 1B) have your future playing there and they have hit 38 homeruns combined! Tabata - 4, Alverez - 10, Milledge 4, Jones 20. What's bad is that at least 15 or so of Jones's homeruns were with bases empty! Jones has gone in the crapper for August, Milledge can't find right field let alone catch a ball there, Alverez hit a few and has slowly regressed and of course McCutheon is slumping. How hard is it to recognize talent? My guess is that the Nutless family expects the same from their non-playing employees as they do the players - ON THE CHEAP!

How the hell are they going to be able to afford another 1st pick next year???

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information