Thread: Lolley's Post-Denver thoughts

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Lolley's Post-Denver thoughts

Sunday, August 29, 2010
    Post-Denver thoughts

Still think Dennis Dixon is a better option to open the season at quarterback for the Steelers instead of Byron Leftwich?

Sunday night against Denver, we got a good look at some of the poor decision making that scares the Steelers coaching staff with Dixon.

Leftwich didn't look good either, but he was playing with an offensive line made up of reserves.

Yes, Dixon has potential, but this is a team that can't wait for that to develop. It needs an NFL-ready QB in two weeks.

That's why Leftwich will be the starter when the Steelers open the season against Atlanta.

Actually, what the Steelers need is a cross between Dixon and Leftwich. That proved to be Charlie Batch Sunday night, but, as the Steelers have found, when Batch plays too much, he gets hurt.

Maurkice Pouncey did a credible job against the Broncos and more than held his own. In fact, the first-team offensive line played pretty well.

And spare me the "this guy sucks because he gave up a sack or had a false start" stuff. Offensive linemen are beaten on occasion and Denver is one of the loudest stadiums in the league.

The personal fouls by the Pittsburgh defense for the second consecutive game were troubling.

The call against James Harrison on the opening drive was a little ticky tacky, but the others were pretty legit. Those are the kind of things that can't happen.

Jonathan Dwyer finished with 89 yards on 13 carries, but also made a couple of mental mistakes.

Those are the things that have really frustrated the coaching staff with Dwyer. It's one thing to miss time with injuries. It's another to miss that time and not pay attention enough to know what you're supposed to do.

Troy Aikman was making a big deal of Denver's supposed ability to establish a running game against the Steelers. But Denver had 38 yards rushing on 14 carries in the first half, a nifty 2.7 yards per carry average.

That, folks, is not establishing a running game.

The Steelers pulled a number of defensive starters long before Denver took out its offensive starters.

Antonio Brown didn't help his cause to win the return job by fielding a punt inside the 5. But it's a rookie mistake that can be corrected.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 413

Default Re: Lolley's Post-Denver thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Antonio Brown didn't help his cause to win the return job by fielding a punt inside the 5. But it's a rookie mistake that can be corrected.
    Why do they always say "It's a rookie mistake"? Hell that's something you're taught in Pop Warner. Certainly by the time you get to college, it should be tatooed on the brain.

As far as last night, I still think our ST play sucks. On every punt that I can remember, there was a wall of defenders staring the receiver down, when there should be a blocker between the receiver and the defender. Maybe it's TV coverage which never shows anything but the ball; however, I think our attempts to block all the way up at the line of scrimmage instead of back where the ball is in play is silly. Makes no difference who is returning and you can't say one is better than the other when defenders have him surrounded.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

sjdrewk

"Troy Aikman was making a big deal of Denver's supposed ability to establish a running game against the Steelers. But Denver had 38 yards rushing on 14 carries in the first half, a nifty 2.7 yards per carry average."

I said what the **** are you talking about when Aikface said that.

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just about every Steeler had a bad game. I can't help but blame whoever prepared them for the game!

sjdrewk

gotta blame the entire bunch... parts of the d was very good in the first qtr' though.

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just about every Steeler had a bad game. I can't help but blame whoever prepared them for the game!

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

n fact, the first-team offensive line played pretty well.

And spare me the "this guy sucks because he gave up a sack or had a false start" stuff. Offensive linemen are beaten on occasion and Denver is one of the loudest stadiums in the league.
    Dale Lolley, Kipper and Les would like to say

The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information