Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tomlin has mishandled Steelers QBs

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Tomlin has mishandled Steelers QBs

It's clear -- Tomlin has mishandled Steelers QBs
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010
    By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin likes to use fancy words. This summer, "clarity" has been a popular choice for him, as in, "We're striving to find clarity with our quarterback position." There's only one problem. Tomlin doesn't appear to understand what the word means.

"We still don't know who's going to be our starting quarterback," Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward said Sunday night.

Nor do the rest of us.

There's only one fancy word that applies here: Ambiguity.

Shame on Tomlin. The way he handled his quarterbacks Sunday night against the Denver Broncos added to the confusion. He started Ben Roethlisberger and played him for a quarter even though he will miss at least the first four regular-season games because of his NFL-mandated suspension. He traded a seventh-round draft pick to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in April for Byron Leftwich and gave him a one-year contract extension through 2011 with the intent of Leftwich being the starter in Roethlisberger's absence. Yet, he didn't play him against the Broncos until the third quarter and then with the second- and third-stringers, who were overrun by Broncos pass rushers and nearly got Leftwich killed. He gave Dennis Dixon way too many snaps with the first team even though he wouldn't have traded for Leftwich if he had any faith that Dixon could be the replacement starter for Roethlisberger.

Clarity?

What clarity?

Roethlisberger shouldn't have played against the Broncos. The snaps he took in that game don't figure to help him much when he comes back from his suspension, presumably for the home game against the Cleveland Browns Oct. 17. He's a franchise quarterback -- a two-time Super Bowl winner -- and is well on his way to being one of the best in NFL history. He had a marvelous training camp and looked good in the two exhibition games in which he played. He should be just fine after getting two weeks of practice before the game against the Browns.

Leftwich should have started and played the first half against the Broncos. He needed the work. He played just four series in the first exhibition game against the Detroit Lions, then three in the second game against the New York Giants. Putting him in with the reserves in the second half in Denver did nothing to get him ready for the opening game against the Atlanta Falcons Sept. 12. He's lucky he wasn't injured. He took a frightful beating behind that second-team line. At least Tomlin did something right that night, getting Leftwich out of the game fairly quickly. Give him credit for that.

Dixon showed against the Broncos that he's not quite ready to be the Steelers' starter. "He didn't play well," Tomlin conceded after Dixon was intercepted twice, one in the Broncos' end zone, the other returned 77 yards for a touchdown. It's OK to put in a package of plays for Dixon to take advantage of his mobility and use him as a change-of-pace quarterback in the first four games. But he can't be the man.

That has to be Leftwich. His experience will be more important to the Steelers in those first four games than Dixon's potential. He doesn't have to win the games, just not lose them. He is far less likely to make the big mistakes than Dixon.

It's a shame that Tomlin didn't do a better job of getting Leftwich ready.

It's too late now to worry about it. The first-stringers aren't expected to play much in the final exhibition game against the Carolina Panthers Thursday night at Heinz Field. Although Tomlin didn't reveal his plans for his quarterbacks when he met with the media Monday, there have been reports that Roethlisberger will start, presumably to get his first appearance in front of the home crowd since his night in Milledgeville, Ga., out of the way and to show everyone, at least symbolically, that he's still the Steelers' guy. That won't leave much time for Leftwich to play with the first team. A good guess is he hardly will play at all -- better, at this point, to keep him healthy for the Falcons.

Good luck to Leftwich being sharp in that opening game.

Blame Roethlisberger for this mess. That's fair. He put the Steelers in a terrible hole by getting himself in the jackpot in that college bar in Georgia.

But blame Tomlin, as well. So far, his search for quarterback clarity has failed miserably.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10243/1083873-87.stm
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 60

Default Re: Tomlin has mishandled Steelers QBs

I think Tomlin has mishandled the Qb situation. I can see Tomlin trying out both Qb's during the first two games but, I can't see him opening up a can of worms on the third preseason game. Actually, if he couldn't tell during training camp that one or the other is the starter Tomlin just not might know how to evaluate talent or the lessor of the two evils.
    Personally, I would have had Batch ready but again, they might feel Batch is too fragile. On the radio yesterday they said if Batch is off the team before the first regular season game the Steelers will save $850,000.00
    Leftwich is better than Dixon and Leftwich isn't such a bad QB.

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He doesn't have to win the games, just not lose them.
    Playing not to win games = formula for a loss.

Ron Cook = Captain Hindsight!

This QB problem wasn't caused by preseason playing time... This problem was caused by lack of talent! ...duh!!! Seperate yourself from the pack, if you want to be the starting QB!

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post

[HIGH-LIGHT]This QB problem wasn't caused by preseason playing time... This problem was caused by lack of talent![/HIGH-LIGHT] ...duh!!! Seperate yourself from the pack, if you want to be the starting QB!
    Great point, BnG. That seems to be the part that the "mishandling" argument misses.

I see it thus:

Ben's out for a fraction of a season, not gone forever. Dixon could well turn into the next Charlie Batch (if he ever gets his brain together, learns the playbook and doesn't commit so many erroneous plays).

The Ben situation arose before the Draft but there was no point in drafting a QB - they'd already got Batch and a few years ago drafted Proto-Batch.

That leaves the option of getting in a vet who might end up being a gun-for-hire type. Yep, they were just waiting to be had, like.... well, there was... and then there was...

At least Leftwich knows the playbook.

So, with 4 preseason games, there were 4 QBs to be primed.

What a Cookwit.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 9

Maybe Tomlin played Ben to set the standard on the field. It would leave no doubt as to whether poor play was the fault of the QB. No one to blame but themselves.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post

This QB problem wasn't caused by preseason playing time... This problem was caused by lack of talent! ...duh!!! Seperate yourself from the pack, if you want to be the starting QB!
    Not when you lack a QB that can win games for you like a Ben Roethlisberger.

Ron Cook for a rare change was pretty much dead on accurate with everything in this article.

The Steelers only need a game manager for the first 4 games. A guy that won't lose games for you (like Dennis Dixon). We're not trying to unhatch the next future QB for the Steelers, we're trying to make it through 4 games with a winning record.

Cook was dead on accurate with the playing time. Dennis Dixon has absolutely no business playignt hat much and Ben didn't need those reps. cook is absolutely right (god I hate saying that). Leftwich will eb starting the first 4 games he should've been taking all of the reps in preparation. Give Ben a ton of reps in the 4th Preseaosn game. Ben only needs the reps just to get them, not to prepare for a game/season starting in 2 weeks.

Tomlin's handling of the Quarter Backs in that Broncos game was beyond awful.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 29

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wexell
    It almost seemed like Tomlin was actually one of the fans calling for Dixon to be a first-teamer instead of sticking to his plan.
    I think Wexell is right.

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    I think Tomlin has mishandled the Qb situation. I can see Tomlin trying out both Qb's during the first two games but, I can't see him opening up a can of worms on the third preseason game. Actually, if he couldn't tell during training camp that one or the other is the starter Tomlin just not might know how to evaluate talent or the lessor of the two evils.
    Personally, I would have had Batch ready but again, they might feel Batch is too fragile. On the radio yesterday they said if Batch is off the team before the first regular season game the Steelers will save $850,000.00
    Leftwich is better than Dixon and Leftwich isn't such a bad QB.
    so theres a chance batch wont even be on the team??

Threads : 82

Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post
    I think Wexell is right.
    He may very well be right. It was my understanding that Dixon is his guy. I got that from last year when they went with Dixon instead of bringing a vet in. I still can't go with one over the other but one thing is for sure they don't look ready for the regular season now.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    He may very well be right. It was my understanding that Dixon is his guy. I got that from last year when they went with Dixon instead of bringing a vet in. I still can't go with one over the other but one thing is for sure they don't look ready for the regular season now.
    lets not put to much into preseason fellas

Threads : 82

Quote Originally Posted by rockcr View Post
    lets not put to much into preseason fellas
    ? I am not but don't act like it's irrelevant either because it's far from that. We don't know who is going to start the first game which is a week and a half away! They are not ready plain and simple. It's unsettling.

Sports Logo

? I am not but don't act like it's irrelevant either because it's far from that. We don't know who is going to start the first game which is a week and a half away! They are not ready plain and simple. It's unsettling.
    well,yeah it is. but lets just say dixon would of scored on that drive instead of the INT. and had another good drive after that? would that mean he's ready to start... no. this has to be hard for the coaches.practice is just that.Practice

Threads : 60

Gotta love the way Tomlin handles things. He should be glad that the gleam from his Super Bowl ring blinds people from the truth.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

??

They ONLY reason Dixon played last year againt Baltimore was because he was the only healthy QB we had for that game. Ben had a concussion and still served as the #2 QB. They had to bring in Tyler Palko from the practice squad to serve as 3rd stringer. Batch was already out for the season with an injury.

I can't wrap my mind around where people came across this assumption that Dennis Dixon was ever presumed to be something more than a 2nd/3rd string QB. not just you Beezy, but a lot of people and the media of course. He was drafted purely as lower mid round guy to be a backup and potentially take over for an aging Charlie Batch. If there was ever a need for something more than a backup long term, the Steelers would seek a replacement which is what they did.

The Steelers going out and trading a 7th round pick for Byron Leftwich should've told you and anyone else that Byron was brought in to start the 4 games Ben would be out for unless Dennis Dixon turned into Warren moon over the offseason Dennis Dixon was never realistically going to start. Bruce Arians doesn't want a guy that can't throw running his offense
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    ??

They ONLY reason Dixon played last year againt Baltimore was because he was the only healthy QB we had for that game. Ben had a concussion and still served as the #2 QB. They had to bring in Tyler Palko from the practice squad to serve as 3rd stringer. Batch was already out for the season with an injury.

I can't wrap my mind around where people came across this assumption that Dennis Dixon was ever presumed to be something more than a 2nd/3rd string QB. not just you Beezy, but a lot of people and the media of course. He was drafted purely as lower mid round guy to be a backup and potentially take over for an aging Charlie Batch. If there was ever a need for something more than a backup long term, the Steelers would seek a replacement which is what they did.

The Steelers going out and trading a 7th round pick for Byron Leftwich should've told you and anyone else that Byron was brought in to start the 4 games Ben would be out for unless Dennis Dixon turned into Warren moon over the offseason Dennis Dixon was never realistically going to start. Bruce Arians doesn't want a guy that can't throw running his offense
    why couldn't dixon of turned into joe montana

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information