Thread: Farrior, McFadden could miss Thursday's game

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Farrior, McFadden could miss Thursday's game

Farrior, McFadden could miss Thursday's game
    By Kevin Gorman, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin indicated that two defensive starters, inside linebacker James Farrior and cornerback Bryant McFadden, could miss Thursday's preseason finale against Carolina with injuries. Farrior is likely doubtful after receiving six stitches to close a laceration on his forehead that occurred in the first series against Denver. McFadden will sit out again after missing the Denver game with a pectoral injury, but is "on target" to return for the opener against Atlanta Sept. 12, Tomlin said.

Tomlin was impressed with how rookie Maurkice Pouncey fared in his first start at center, despite having to use a silent count and the Steelers drawing two false-start penalties. Tomlin credited Pouncey, the club's first-round pick, for doing a "nice job," particularly against Pro Bowl nose tackle Jamaal Williams, which Tomlin called a "daunting task."

The Steelers coach also singled out three others as bright spots: running back Jonathan Dwyer, a sixth-round pick who led all rushers with 89 yards and scored a touchdown; inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons, who had a team-high five tackles; and free-agent safety Will Allen, who started in place of Ryan Clark and was called a "good addition to us" by Tomlin.

Tomlin plans to turn up the heat on a couple of position battles between rookie draft picks. Receivers Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown and outside linebackers Jason Worilds and Thaddeus Gibson are in tough competitions. Tomlin said he wants to see how Sanders fares in the kick-return game, after Brown botched a punt return by fielding it at the 1, and said Worilds and Gibson will get "big-time exposure" on defense and special teams.

The Steelers have to make five cuts today to trim their roster to 75.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_697200.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

sjdrewk

Default Re: Farrior, McFadden could miss Thursday's game

To me Worilds has been invisible. Has he played much because I only remember seeing him in on one tackle so far this pre season?

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To me Worilds has been invisible. Has he played much because I only remember seeing him in on one tackle so far this pre season?
    I'll be honest... He hasn't made a big impression, or any impression on me whatsoever... I dunno...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    I'll be honest... He hasn't made a big impression, or any impression on me whatsoever... I dunno...
    Yeah we can go back and rehash the draft and it is way, way, too early to know what the team has in Worilds but that was an odd pick to me. It still is. I hope to hell I am wrong and he develops into a starter at least.

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    Yeah we can go back and rehash the draft and it is way, way, too early to know what the team has in Worilds but that was an odd pick to me. It still is. I hope to hell I am wrong and he develops into a starter at least.
    He's got the talent, man... He really does... But I just don't recall him doing anything outstanding so far... Doesn't mean he won't... Just means I'm an inattentive idiot, as I'm told regularily by the "better half"...

sjdrewk

Yes, Worilds has talent....anyone that gets drafted is talented and can play....but many talented players wash out in the NFL. I guess all we can do is watch what happens.

Threads : 440

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Just means I'm an inattentive idiot, as I'm told regularily by the "better half"...

you don't seem like you are inattentive...

Threads : 29

No chance in hell they cut a 2nd round pick in his first year. If anything he'll come down with some mystery ailment and be IR'ed.

Gibson has shown some potential.

Threads : 60

Worilds hasn't wowed me or has Ziggy Hood ever shown me why he was worth the number one pick.

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information