Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 "roster bubble" players.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default 2 "roster bubble" players.

From James Walker's blog at ESPN...

Justin Hartwig, C, Pittsburgh Steelers

Analysis: Hartwig struggled at center last year and lost his job this preseason to first-round pick Maurkice Pouncey. The Steelers believe Pouncey is a star in the making, which leaves Hartwig's future in limbo. Despite the benching, there is no question Hartwig is one of Pittsburgh's best 53 players. That should be enough. [HIGH-LIGHT]But Hartwig also is scheduled to make a little more than $2 million this season. He's being paid as a starting center and that's no longer his role.[/HIGH-LIGHT] There's a chance Hartwig could compete at right guard or simply be the first center/guard off the bench in the event of injury. Hartwig's experience and versatility help his case.

Cut-O-Meter: 30 percent

Jonathan Dwyer, RB, Steelers

Analysis: Dwyer made a strong push late for a roster spot in Pittsburgh. After a disappointing training camp, Dwyer led the Steelers in rushing with 89 yards and a touchdown in Sunday's exhibition loss to the Denver Broncos. Running back Isaac Redman has been stellar and secured the third running back job that was intended for Dwyer. Thursday's preseason finale will be vital for the sixth-round pick.

Cut-O-Meter: 55 percent

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...ster-bubbles-2
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2 "roster bubble" players.

See ya Dwyer... a little too much, a LOT TOO LATE!

Methinks Hartwig should be kept around for depth... It would be nice if we could restructure his contract to keep him around and open up some cash for Woodley, but I know we dont do these types of things at this point in the (pre) season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bton66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    See ya Dwyer... a little too much, a LOT TOO LATE!
    Bingo... We have a winner!....

... Seriously though, I just don't see his efforts in last week's game to be enough to keep him. If he does extremely well against Carolina, then there may be some question.... As for Hartwig, the $$$ may be a deciding factor... "Experience" is very nice, but I think we have prospects at the guard position worthy of looking further at... But then again, injuries are a part of this league, so what happens if Pouncey goes down?
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Bingo... We have a winner!....

... Seriously though, I just don't see his efforts in last week's game to be enough to keep him. If he does extremely well against Carolina, then there may be some question.... As for Hartwig, the $$$ may be a deciding factor... "Experience" is very nice, but I think we have prospects at the guard position worthy of looking further at... But then again, injuries are a part of this league, so [HIGH-LIGHT]what happens if Pouncey goes down[/HIGH-LIGHT]?
    We would be "F'd" in the "A..." That is for **** sure! What is the status of Urbik? I havent heard anything about him this preseason, in terms of his development...?

Quote Originally Posted by Bton66 View Post
    What is the status of Urbik? I havent heard anything about him this preseason, in terms of his development...?
    I really haven't heard or read anything definitive other than he's "done well" in camp, and I honestly didn't notice anything during the last two games... Most of the so-called "experts" seem to have him on the bubble... But he's also a possible backup at center, addressing the previous possibility regarding Pouncey... I really don't know.

I really haven't heard or read anything definitive other than he's "done well" in camp, and I honestly didn't notice anything during the last two games... Most of the so-called "experts" seem to have him on the bubble... [HIGH-LIGHT]But he's also a possible backup at center, addressing the previous possibility regarding Pouncey[/HIGH-LIGHT]... I really don't know.
    Exactly my point!.. I think I remember seeing him getting reps in Sunday's game, but I was pretty lit by game time? Lot's of drinks at the pool that afternoon

Threads : 277

I think Legursky's your backup Center and I would save Hartwig's money and give it to whomever; I like Dwyer--even before his Sunday performance--and would consider 5 RBs or even cutting Moore,
    just to save $$$$$.

They should try and get some low draftpicks for Hartwig and Logan.

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    I think Legursky's your backup Center
    I do believe he is listed as the backup in the depth chart....

Threads : 60

How is Hartwigs talents at guard ? I think if the Steelers thought Hartwig had guard talent they, may have used their chances to find out during the Broncos game. Hartwig and his big paychecks are gone come the final cut. Maybe the Steelers are counting on no team will pick him up ( Hartwig ) and he will be there in case of emergency ?

Wasn't it Dwyer that allowed Batch to get creamed during one or two of Dwyers chances to protect Batch ?

Dwyer hasn't shown me anything and neither has the Tank. Our other tightend Johnson doesn't look like he keeps himself in football shape and he is slow as can be as it looks to me. Maybe they need him for blocking but, that is a waste if that is his only production.

Prior to the Broncos game I thought Logan was going to lose his job but now, I'm not so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    Dwyer hasn't shown me anything and neither has the Tank.
    Me either... If we keep only 4 RB's, it's a tough call... Mendy, Moore, and Redman are locks IMO... But then it comes down to either Summers or Dwyer for the 4th spot... If they keep 5, then I think both are there... Just bad luck for Vincent.

... As for Hartwig, I dunno... I honestly have gotten fairly down on him, and now that he's a backup, his paycheck is a liability IMO... "Experience" or not, I think there are better options... But that's just me.

Me either... If we keep only 4 RB's, it's a tough call... Mendy, Moore, and Redman are locks IMO... But then it comes down to either Summers or Dwyer for the 4th spot... If they keep 5, then I think both are there... Just bad luck for Vincent.

... As for Hartwig, I dunno... I honestly have gotten fairly down on him, and now that he's a backup, his paycheck is a liability IMO... "Experience" or not, I think there are better options... But that's just me.

I always knew you were smart

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    I always knew you were smart
    ... Don't tell my ex-wife... She'll want more money.

... Don't tell my ex-wife... She'll want more money.

Good one ! That reminds me of the time we were forming and pouring these huge concrete set of steps at this office building. Every day this guy walked in and out as happy as can be and always with a hello and how are you and that kind of stuff. A couple of days go by and I asked him why he is so gloom and doom and he replied, " my wife has a boy friend, she wants nothing to do with me, she wants a divorce. " I felt really bad for him and the same attitude for him remianed for about two weeks until one day he said, " remember how I said my wife wants nothing to do with me ? Well that's no longer true she, does want all my money. " I will never forget that. Oh yeah, this guy has a college education, makes close to $65 big ones and his wife left him for some unempolyed hipppy that lives in his grandmothers basement. Double back stab in my opinion.

Threads : 29

I think Hartwig is done. They aren't going to pay a guy 2 mil+ to sit the bench. Especially when he can't play another position.

I think Dwyer makes it but only because they will only keep 4 RBs and Summers is worthless.

sjdrewk

You know how Linemen go down all the time. It would be nice to keep Hartwig around but not as a 2 million dollar back up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information