Thread: Hostage taken at U.S. Discovery Channel HQ: Police

sjdrewk

Default Hostage taken at U.S. Discovery Channel HQ: Police

Hostage taken at U.S. Discovery Channel HQ: Police

21 mins ago
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) One hostage has been taken by a man with a handgun at the Discovery Channel headquarters building in suburban Washington, Montgomery County police told ABC television on Wednesday.
    Police Corporal Dan Friz said the building in Silver Spring, Maryland, was on lockdown but he could not confirm gunshots were fired as a Discovery employee had told ABC television.
    Employee Lisa Lucas told ABC that the building was being evacuated and children were being allowed out. Roads in the normally busy urban center on the edge of Washington were closed and police cars blocked access.
    Discovery Communications said it reaches 1.5 billion subscribers in more than 180 countries with the Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Science Channel and Planet Green networks.
    Follow Yahoo! News on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook
    Buzz up!2 votes

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100901/..._usa_discovery

sjdrewk

Default Re: Hostage taken at U.S. Discovery Channel HQ: Police

Police Fatally Shoot Man Holding Hostages at Discovery Channel
    By Eunice Oh

Wednesday September 01, 2010 06:25 PM EDT

James J. Lee
    AP
    FacebookTwitterE-mailA four-hour hostage standoff at the Discovery Channel's headquarters in Maryland ended Wednesday after snipers shot a man who officials say walked into the building with a handgun.

James Lee, a suspected environmental extremist who was also wearing what appeared to be metallic canister devices, died after he was taken into custody. The three hostages are safe, according to reports.

A police spokesman says Lee entered the network's offices in Silver Spring and pulled out a gun. Authorities had been negotiating with him after he made demands and expressed concerns with the Discovery Corporation, according to Capt. Paul Starks.

Bomb technicians from the FBI and ATF responded to the scene and almost all of the 1,900 employees inside were evacuated but "a few" remained on the upper floors, Montgomery County Police Chief J. Thomas Manger told reporters.

Lee was previously arrested in 2008 for disorderly conduct after throwing money in the air during a rally outside the Discovery building, Maryland's Gazette reported. According to the paper, he spent almost two weeks in jail following the arrest and was evaluated by state psychiatrists.

full article:
    http://www.people.com/people/article...yahooheadlines

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A gal I used to date now works over there (before my current gal)... A few years ago, I caught her in bed with another guy when I came home from a trip early due to a re-route...

... It's a shame he didn't broadcast his intentions... I would'a sent photos so he could use a moving target.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A gal I used to date now works over there (before my current gal)... A few years ago, [HIGH-LIGHT]I caught her in bed with another guy when I came home from a trip early due to a re-route...[/HIGH-LIGHT]

... It's a shame he didn't broadcast his intentions... I would'a sent photos so he could use a moving target.
    You never told me about this....****, what betrayal.

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information