Thread: Rodriguez's "Machete" plays tough themes for laughs

sjdrewk

Default Rodriguez's "Machete" plays tough themes for laughs

I want to see this film...

Rodriguez's "Machete" plays tough themes for laughs

Reuters Actor Danny Trejo (L) and director Robert Rodriguez pose for photographers during a photocall for the
    By Silvia Aloisi 1 hr 6 mins ago
    VENICE (Reuters) A tale of illegal Mexican immigrants, corrupt U.S. politicians, nasty drug lords and vigilantes turns pulp movie in Robert Rodriguez's "Machete," which had the audience laughing out loud at the Venice festival.
    The unlikely action hero of the blood-filled film is a long-haired, tattooed and aging former Mexican cop, nicknamed Machete after his favorite weapon -- which he uses time and again to get revenge against the killers of his family.
    Set on the barren border between Texas and Mexico, Machete has an eclectic cast including Robert De Niro as an anti-immigrant U.S. senator, Jessica Alba as a law enforcement agent, veteran action film actor Steven Seagal, "Miami Vice" star Don Johnson and Lindsay Lohan.
    Born and raised in Texas, Rodriguez said the idea for Machete came from a fake trailer that he inserted in his and Quentin Tarantino's tribute to B-movies, "Grindhouse," released in 2007.
    "That trailer fed the audience's appetite and for years after that people asked whether I would make Machete into a feature. They kept coming and asking for it," Rodriguez said after a press screening of his film, which is being presented out of competition at the Venice festival.
    Several of Rodriguez's previous films, including "El Mariachi," "Desperado" and "From Dusk Till Dawn" deal with Mexico, but he said this time he wanted to make a movie starring a Mexican action hero that could appeal to a wider audience.
    "This is not just for Latinos, I wanted someone with a violent background, an incorruptible guy that would not take a step backwards, and I wanted to do something that people had not seen before" he said.
    ALL ABOUT KNIVES
    To play Machete, Rodriguez picked Danny Trejo, a veteran actor of Mexican descent with a criminal past who is cast here in his first starring role.
    Trejo mused that his characters in previous films by Rodriguez always had something to do with sharp objects -- in From Dusk Till Dawn he was Razor Charlie, and in Desperado he was called Navajas, which means knives.
    "Now I just graduated as a bigger knife which is Machete," he said.
    Alba, who had already worked with Rodriguez in "Sin City," called Machete "awesome and crazy" and said at first she never thought Rodriguez would get away with such an unorthodox script.
    "I think it's courageous because it talks about socially and politically relevant issues in a smart way. It has all the stigmas and the stereotypes against Latinos and mashes it all up and explodes it against the screen," she said.

To read the rest of the article:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100901/...venice_machete

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Rodriguez's "Machete" plays tough themes for laughs

I'd like to see Machete in a double-bill with The Expendables. Might just see if that's possible down at the cinema. If not, it's a DVD double bill when they're available.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd like to see Machete in a double-bill with The Expendables. Might just see if that's possible down at the cinema. If not, it's a DVD double bill when they're available.
    Expendables? Is that the action movie with all the action movie stars?

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    Expendables? Is that the action movie with all the action movie stars?
    Yes, indeedy!
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 271
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just want to see Jessica Alba

sjdrewk

Thanks, War! Then I gotta see that movie. I hear Randy Couture is in the movie.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by Evilpens View Post
    I just want to see Jessica Alba
    Which movie is she in?
  • Reply With Quote Reply With Quote   ...to the topTop

Fantastic Four, Sin City...

sjdrewk

Fantastic Four, Sin City...
    lol, I saw those movies. I meant out of Machete and Expendables which movie is she in?

Machete.

sjdrewk

Thanks,War....yet another reason to watch Machete....De Niro is in Machete and so is Danny Trejo. It's like the cast of Heat is being reunited.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

De Niro and Steven Segal in the same film? They're barely in the same profession!

sjdrewk

De Niro and Steven Segal in the same film? They're barely in the same profession!
    I guess it was time for it to happen.

sjdrewk

-another article on this film........I guess I really, really want to see this movie. Love De Niro and Danny Trejo! Plus Cheech Marin is in this movie- grew up listening to Cheech and Chong albums..

'Machete': Nothing hackish about this bloody, funny film
    Updated 4h 41m ago | Comments 22 | Recommend 2 E-mail | Save | Print | Reprints & Permissions |

Enlarge By Joaquin Avellan, 20th Century Fox

Look sharp: Danny Trejo plays Machete, a Mexican federal agent who's big trouble with a big knife.

ABOUT THE MOVIE

Machete
    * * * (out of four)

Stars: Danny Trejo, [HIGH-LIGHT]Jessica Alba[/HIGH-LIGHT], Robert De Niro, Michelle Rodriguez, Steven Seagal, Jeff Fahey, Lindsay Lohan, Don Johnson, Cheech Marin
    Director: Robert Rodriguez and Ethan Maniquis
    |Distributor: 20th Century Fox
    Rating: R for strong bloody violence throughout, language, some sexual content and nudity.
    Running time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
    Opens Friday nationwide

By Claudia Puig, USA TODAY
    Machete don't text. But he does improvise.
    Danny Trejo plays the long-haired, craggy-faced titular Machete with a combination of swift ferocity and baleful kindliness. And the ladies love it.

Maybe it's the way the tattooed man of few words wields his knife — masterfully — when the situation calls for it. And the situation calls for it a lot in Robert Rodriguez's entertaining and blood-spattered action comedy. The film was spawned from a faux trailer he created for 2007's Grindhouse, the movie he co-directed with Quentin Tarantino.

TRAILER: Take a swing at 'Machete'
    MORE: Meet the illustrated Danny Trejo
    Machete is a man of honor, driven by vengeance. A Mexican federal agent, Machete was betrayed by his own men at the behest of vicious drug lord Torrez (Steven Seagal), who brutally killed Machete's wife.

Fast-forward a few years, and Machete finds himself at the center of a conspiracy involving an opportunistic Texan politician, Sen. McLaughlin (Robert De Niro). McLaughlin has made illegal immigration the cornerstone of his re-election campaign. Not only does he support an electrified fence on the border, he calls immigrants "parasites" and advocates all-out war.

Rodriguez combines sharp satire and timely political commentary with a decidedly B-movie ethos. The result is inconsistent but amusing. He has assembled a supremely eclectic cast. Where else could you find De Niro in the same movie as Seagal, Don Johnson (as a border vigilante), Jessica Alba (as an immigration officer) and Lindsay Lohan (in an art-imitating-life role as a druggy, privileged rich girl)?

Machete reeks with violent excess and gratuitous nudity. Some of those include Lohan in a nun's habit (after cavorting around naked and uttering leaden line readings), Cheech Marin as a gun-toting priest, De Niro as the rabid senator shooting wildly at immigrants as they run across the border. Clearly, nothing's sacred here.

Trejo invests his character with an engaging blend of swagger, gravity and terse humor. When Alba's INS agent instructs him to contact her, he snarls, "Machete don't text." It's an instant catchphrase.

full:
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...hooModule_Life

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information