Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben's reps plan to ask for a 3-game reduction in his NFL suspension

Threads : 440

Default Ben's reps plan to ask for a 3-game reduction in his NFL suspension

just heard Sal Paolantonio on ESPN say Ben Roethlisberger's reps plan to ask for a 3-game reduction in his NFL suspension.

if Goodell has any sense of justice that's exactly what he should do...

Threads : 691

Default Re: Ben's reps plan to ask for a 3-game reduction in his NFL suspension

I guess it doesn't hurt to ask,but I still think it'll be four games.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 440

Updated: September 1, 2010

Sources: Steelers QB wants shorter ban

By Sal Paolantonio
    ESPN

In Friday's meeting with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, Ben Roethlisberger's representatives plan to ask the commissioner to reduce the six-game suspension by at least three games, bringing along team president Arthur J. Rooney II to the New York meeting to support the quarterback's case, sources with knowledge of upcoming proceedings told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio.

Roethlisberger was suspended in April for six games for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy a week after prosecutors decided not charge him in a case involving a 20-year-old college student who accused him of sexually assaulting her in a Georgia nightclub in March.

At the time, Goodell pledged to consider reducing the length of the suspension if Roethlisberger complied with a number of league imposed conditions, including a comprehensive behavioral evaluation, and stayed clear of any other off field problems.

Most observers believe Goodell has had in his mind all along to reduce the suspension by two games to four. But Roethlisberger's attorney, David Cornwell, is expected to ask for a greater reduction in the suspension, according to those with knowledge of discussions between the commissioners office and the quarterback's representatives.

Some in the Roethlisberger camp have argued since Roethlisberger is the first player suspended by Goodell under the personal conduct policy who has not been arrested, charged with or convicted of a crime, he should not be suspended more than two games. His camp has always considered the six game suspension too harsh. But few believe Goodell will go that far, and some in the Roethlisberger camp do not want to anger the commissioner by asking for too much.

Goodell wrote to Roethlisberger in April: "The Personal Conduct Policy makes clear that I may impose discipline 'even where the conduct does not result in conviction of a crime' as, for example, where the conduct 'imposes inherent danger to the safety and well being of another person' ....or conduct that 'undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL.' "

At the time of the suspension, Rooney released a statement agreeing with and supporting the Goodell's ruling. It's not known what role Rooney will play during Friday's meeting between the commissioner and Roethlisberger.

If the suspension is reduced to four games, as expected, Roethlisberger would presumably spend the Steelers bye in Week 5 getting ready to start at home against the Cleveland Browns in Week 6 -- giving him two weeks of preparation for his first game back.

Sal Paolantonio is an NFL reporter for ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...e=NFLHeadlines

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

like DUI and fighting bars

Sports Logo

I seriously doubt it will be 3, that could cause a big uproar in what ever rape groups that are out there.but haven't heard much about that stuff for some reason?

sjdrewk

Can you imagine the reaction around the league if Goodell reduced it more than 2 games? We'd hear all the bull**** from other fans around the league claiming the league favors us just like those ****heads that say the NFL gave us the sb 40 title.

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He should get no more than a game or two but I have said this since the beginning. Thing is since then he has slapped everyone else on the wrist. I can't believe Rodgers got off with nothing. Food committed a ****ing felony. Bens case is all conjecture and hearsay. Beating the dead horse I know poor thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can you imagine the reaction around the league if Goodell reduced it more than 2 games? We'd hear all the bull**** from other fans around the league claiming the league favors us just like those ****heads that say the NFL gave us the sb 40 title.
    Who ****ing cares? Do you seriously care about what the Steelers haters think? I don't give 2 ****s. I hope they reduce it to 0 games. I will laugh in Antibes face that cries about that. Seriously.

sjdrewk

Yep, Ben should have only gotten 3 games at the most... but since Goodell already put it out there in public that the reduction was set at two games it will look bad and look like favoritism(which our teams players never get) towards us if Ben gets less.

Yep, Ben should have only gotten 3 games at the most... but since Goodell already put it out there in public that the reduction was set at two games it will look bad and look like favoritism(which our teams players never get) towards us if Ben gets less.
    I don't care. I only care about getting lefty off the field asap.

Threads : 87
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

2 games for his trouble and 2 for being a Steeler, what a crock of **** huh.

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Shouldn't have gotten any games,but what do I know?All Hail the Queen,Roger Goodell!!!

Its an argument I hear all the time. Goodell would look bad for going back on his word or whatever but let's think about this for a second... does he actually have credibility to begin with? Also I go back to theory that I have stated before that is the Rooneys actually wanted this punishment and Goodell is basically being the bad guy for them. It would at least make the inconsistent punishments make a little more sense. Honestly tho it seems like the punishment is equal to the size of the headlines rather than the crime itself. Chew on that one.

Threads : 3263

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    does he actually have credibility to begin with? Also I go back to theory that I have stated before that is the Rooneys actually wanted this punishment and Goodell is basically being the bad guy for them.
    ... I think SteelerNation is more aggravated with Goodell than many other groups around the league.

... And I wouldn't be suprised if Mr. Rooney (Dan) asked for a heavily weighted penalty. I do not necessarily disagree either... Dan pushed for Goodell, and was actually the one to inform him that he was elected commish.

I know that alot of folks dislike Goodell, but I really don't... Yea, pile on me now!... But I really do like some of the aspects he's trying to bring to the league... Sorry, but I do. ... Gotta look past the "homer" glasses and see the big picture a little bit.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    ... I think SteelerNation is more aggravated with Goodell than many other groups around the league.

... And I wouldn't be suprised if Mr. Rooney (Dan) asked for a heavily weighted penalty. I do not necessarily disagree either... Dan pushed for Goodell, and was actually the one to inform him that he was elected commish.

I know that alot of folks dislike Goodell, but I really don't... Yea, pile on me now!... But I really do like some of the aspects he's trying to bring to the league... Sorry, but I do. ... Gotta look past the "homer" glasses and see the big picture a little bit.
    This wouldn't be such a big deal if he would stay consistent with his policy .IMO

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information