Thread: Post-Carolina thoughts

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Post-Carolina thoughts

Post-Carolina thoughts
    http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

Well, we wanted a decision on who the Steelers' QB would be against Atlanta and it's apparent that player will be Dennis Dixon.

I asked Mike Tomlin after the game if he pulled Dixon out because he didn't want to get him hurt. He said yes.

That tells me that Tomlin is planning on starting Dixon.

He could change his mind and go with Charlie Batch, though the coaching staff knows Charlie is injury prone at this point in his career - hence their decision to have him throw just four passes in more than two quarters.

But it's easier to go with Dixon and hope the defense can keep things close and overcome any mistakes he may make.

With the way this offensive line is run blocking, they should be able to take some pressure off Dixon and control the clock.

That's right, I'm raving about the run blocking of this offensive line - OK, I'm not raving. But I like the way they're getting off the ball.

We're seeing some nasty out of this offensive line, particularly when they line up and go straight ahead.

This is a big offensive line - probably the biggest in team history with the addition of Flozell Adams at right tackle. And they can use that to their advantage.

Perhaps it serves Tomlin right that his choice to replace Ben Roethlisberger during his suspension was injured when a second-team offensive lineman got rag-dolled and leg whipped the quarterback.

Jonathan Scott had played reasonably well to this point, but he's still a backup. You shouldn't have your QB in the game with backup linemen unless you absolutely have to.

It's a lesson you would have thought Tomlin would have learned last week in Denver when he nearly got Leftwich killed playing behind second and third stringers before yanking him after just two series.

He probably won't make the same mistake ever again.
    posted by Dale Lolley at 1:58 AM

Threads : 87
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Post-Carolina thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by WYsteel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Post-Carolina thoughts
    http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

Well, we wanted a decision on who the Steelers' QB would be against Atlanta and it's apparent that player will be Dennis Dixon.

I asked Mike Tomlin after the game if he pulled Dixon out because he didn't want to get him hurt. He said yes.

That tells me that Tomlin is planning on starting Dixon.

He could change his mind and go with Charlie Batch, though the coaching staff knows Charlie is injury prone at this point in his career - hence their decision to have him throw just four passes in more than two quarters.

But it's easier to go with Dixon and hope the defense can keep things close and overcome any mistakes he may make.

With the way this offensive line is run blocking, they should be able to take some pressure off Dixon and control the clock.

That's right, I'm raving about the run blocking of this offensive line - OK, I'm not raving. But I like the way they're getting off the ball.

We're seeing some nasty out of this offensive line, particularly when they line up and go straight ahead.

This is a big offensive line - probably the biggest in team history with the addition of Flozell Adams at right tackle. And they can use that to their advantage.

Perhaps it serves Tomlin right that his choice to replace Ben Roethlisberger during his suspension was injured when a second-team offensive lineman got rag-dolled and leg whipped the quarterback.

Jonathan Scott had played reasonably well to this point, but he's still a backup. You shouldn't have your QB in the game with backup linemen unless you absolutely have to.

[HIGH-LIGHT]It's a lesson you would have thought Tomlin would have learned last week in Denver when he nearly got Leftwich killed playing behind second and third stringers before yanking him after just two series.

He probably won't make the same mistake ever again.
    [/HIGH-LIGHT]posted by Dale Lolley at 1:58 AM
    Wanna bet?
    Tomlin doesn't know what he's doing.

Threads : 60

I thought the offensive line looked better. I thought the defense needs to go back and learn how to tackle. Our receivers look good. Tough call on what runningbacks to keep but I'll give you my picks. Mendy, Redman, Moore, Dwyer and Tank if they have the rrom.

The receivers will be tough to pick because they are all pretty good in my opinion. Hines, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, Battles and with Grisham on the PS.

I still think Hood was a waste of a number one pick.

Threads : 4

I like how the O-line has improved in recent weeks. Also we have some versatile backups who seem to be steadily improving. I'm talking about Ramon Foster who can play RT & RG, Tony Hills, Doug Legursky & Craig Ubirk. I think those are the 4 backups you keep....I see Hartwig as the odd man out.

We have a problem at LB'er. We have too many solid backups who do they keep? They will keep Worlids even though he's done nothing. Fox and Foote are locks. Then you have Stevenson Sylvester, Patrick Bailey & Thaddeus Gibson. They typically keep 9 LB'ers so who of the 3 fo ya let go? I think Stevenson Sylvester has done enough to earn a roster spot that leaves Gibson or Bailey......IMO Gibson can be slid over to the practice squad much easier than Bailey.

RB's - I am not a Tank Summers fan. Dwyer needs to run with more power and better leg drive although he's much improved from the start of the season. Your RB's are Mendenhall, Redman, Moore & Dwyer since Arians doesn't use a fullback. We will see a pony backfield though this season.

Stefan Logan is done...we have too many good WR's to waste a roster spot on a special teams guy like Logan. The one thing that has me curious is why didn't they try Tyler Grisham as a punt return guy during the pre-season? I don't see him making the roster with our WR's Ward, Wallace, Randel-El, Battle, Sanders & Brown. I hope we can slide Grisham to the PS...the kid is talented.

A few other guys who might be on the bubble...Crezdon Butler....I love this kid's potential but I think he needs a year in the weight room but I worry he might not make it to the PS if he's let go. Another team might take this kid....if you keep him who's the odd man out? Joe Burnett?

Well there's my 2 cents.....I hope this Steeler team doesn't get snakebit in the opener vs Atlanta a young, hungry team with a solid defense and good coaching staff.

Good point Chico man, Worilds will remain only because they picked him at number 2. had he been a low pick or a walk on he, wouldn't be here.

The smart move I guess would to let Logan go since he is a one trick pony. The special teams are the worse I've seen in a long time and it's pretty bad when you need to count on your punter and even Jeff Reed to make the tackles.

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    I thought the offensive line looked better. I thought the defense needs to go back and learn how to tackle. Our receivers look good. Tough call on what runningbacks to keep but I'll give you my picks. Mendy, Redman, Moore, Dwyer and Tank if they have the rrom.

The receivers will be tough to pick because they are all pretty good in my opinion. Hines, Wallace, Sanders, Brown, Battles and with Grisham on the PS.

[HIGH-LIGHT]I still think Hood was a waste of a number one pick[/HIGH-LIGHT].
    Don't know the deal with this guy. Are they holding him back, cause I haven't seen anything special from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicoman View Post
    I like how the O-line has improved in recent weeks. Also we have some versatile backups who seem to be steadily improving. I'm talking about Ramon Foster who can play RT & RG, Tony Hills, Doug Legursky & Craig Ubirk. I think those are the 4 backups you keep....I see Hartwig as the odd man out.

We have a problem at LB'er. We have too many solid backups who do they keep? They will keep Worlids even though he's done nothing. Fox and Foote are locks. Then you have Stevenson Sylvester, Patrick Bailey & Thaddeus Gibson. They typically keep 9 LB'ers so who of the 3 fo ya let go? I think Stevenson Sylvester has done enough to earn a roster spot that leaves Gibson or Bailey......IMO Gibson can be slid over to the practice squad much easier than Bailey.

I say Farrior and Bailey...Buh-Bye!

RB's - I am not a Tank Summers fan. Dwyer needs to run with more power and better leg drive although he's much improved from the start of the season. Your RB's are Mendenhall, Redman, Moore & Dwyer since Arians doesn't use a fullback. We will see a pony backfield though this season.

My call would be Moore and Summers go. What does anyone see in Moore? can catch out of the backfield and...............One trick pony also...Buh-Bye!

Stefan Logan is done...we have too many good WR's to waste a roster spot on a special teams guy like Logan. The one thing that has me curious is why didn't they try Tyler Grisham as a punt return guy during the pre-season? I don't see him making the roster with our WR's Ward, Wallace, Randel-El, Battle, Sanders & Brown. I hope we can slide Grisham to the PS...the kid is talented.

Logan...Hasta La Vista BABY!!! Keep Grisham. Arnaz Battle can go Buh-Bye, let the young LB's/CB's (Sylvester, Grisham, Butler) fill his spot on special teams, they need to earn their stripes anyway!

A few other guys who might be on the bubble...Crezdon Butler....I love this kid's potential but I think he needs a year in the weight room but I worry he might not make it to the PS if he's let go. Another team might take this kid....if you keep him who's the odd man out? Joe Burnett?

Well there's my 2 cents.....I hope this Steeler team doesn't get snakebit in the opener vs Atlanta a young, hungry team with a solid defense and good coaching staff.
    !

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by kinsar View Post
    Wanna bet?
    Tomlin doesn't know what he's doing.
    sometimes you guys act like tomlin is mentally retarded i mean he's not a highschool coach

Quote Originally Posted by rockcr View Post
    sometimes you guys act like tomlin is mentally retarded i mean he's not a highschool coach
    Community college head coach maybe....NFL position coach at best.

Threads : 5

post Carolina thoughts.

What was the reasoning behind playing Ben? He isn't going to be around for at least four weeks; 10 snaps aren't going to make that time off any different.

Leftwich or Dixon both would have been better served that time, imo.

Lefty going down in preseason, may actually have been, in some small way, a good thing. I think there is a strong likelihood he'd be injured during his time as a starter- and you know what? The team wasn't going to keep Batch. Now- the team is forced to keep Batch.

I want to say the OLine looked better, but Carolina didn't play any of their starters- so no real way to evaluate.

When the second team defense came in- the secondary consisted of:
    CB: Butler / Lewis
    SS: Mundy
    FS: Allen.

Who's name is absent there??? Joe Burnett.

Burnett didn't see the field until late in the game. Something is up there. Burnett could be in jeapordy. No matter- it is obvious the coaching staff wanted to get a good look at Butler. Butler looked pretty decent in his time on the field. I think he may be the best athlete they have in the secondary- (not counting Troy). He seems fluid in the hips, opens up well, breaks down well. He just needs time to learn the defense- and perfect his technique, imo. Also- he's going to have to stop the showboating / look at me crap. I'm sure he'll get an earful during film- about the incomplete, completion junk he was pulling.

To me Butler is a keeper.

Dwyer is going to get a shot on someone's roster- even if he is released by us. Personally, I'd much rather keep Dwyer than Summers. Summers is mediocre to awful at FB. If you are truly going to use a blocking FB- I'd rather use Johnson. Or if you want a running option at FB- Redman. Summers offers nothing that could be discerned.

I don't see how the team can cut Sylvester. The guy is everywhere. Of the 3 LBs they drafted, Sylvester shows up the most, and its not close. The bad news there is he is likely competing w/ Bailey for a roster spot. Bailey showed a lot last night. He'll be picked up by someone, if the Steelers let him go. So will Sylvester, for that matter.

Logan- is gone. Brown is going to get the return duties.

ARE didn't dress- and Battle was the #3 last night. Interesting. I've always thought Battle was going to make it- because of experience. I think his performance last evening helped him.

My big fear with the WRs- (which is why I think Battle stays) is the inexperience. We have repeatedly seen all of the QBs getting in the ear of the young receivers for effing up on routs. That **** will kill you. I would not want to rely on either Sanders or Brown early in the season- for this reason.

I think the coaching staff is going to have some very tough cuts, and many of the guys who are cut, are going to end up on other rosters- anyway.

Thats it.

As always, I'm geeked about the upcoming season- even with Ben out in the beginning- next sunday can't come quick enough!!!!

:towelwave

Quote Originally Posted by anpsteel View Post
    post Carolina thoughts.

What was the reasoning behind playing Ben? He isn't going to be around for at least four weeks; 10 snaps aren't going to make that time off any different.

Leftwich or Dixon both would have been better served that time, imo.

Lefty going down in preseason, may actually have been, in some small way, a good thing. I think there is a strong likelihood he'd be injured during his time as a starter- and you know what? The team wasn't going to keep Batch. Now- the team is forced to keep Batch.

I want to say the OLine looked better, but Carolina didn't play any of their starters- so no real way to evaluate.

When the second team defense came in- the secondary consisted of:
    CB: Butler / Lewis
    SS: Mundy
    FS: Allen.

Who's name is absent there??? Joe Burnett.

Burnett didn't see the field until late in the game. Something is up there. Burnett could be in jeapordy. No matter- it is obvious the coaching staff wanted to get a good look at Butler. Butler looked pretty decent in his time on the field. I think he may be the best athlete they have in the secondary- (not counting Troy). He seems fluid in the hips, opens up well, breaks down well. He just needs time to learn the defense- and perfect his technique, imo. Also- he's going to have to stop the showboating / look at me crap. I'm sure he'll get an earful during film- about the incomplete, completion junk he was pulling.

To me Butler is a keeper.

Dwyer is going to get a shot on someone's roster- even if he is released by us. Personally, I'd much rather keep Dwyer than Summers. Summers is mediocre to awful at FB. If you are truly going to use a blocking FB- I'd rather use Johnson. Or if you want a running option at FB- Redman. Summers offers nothing that could be discerned.

I don't see how the team can cut Sylvester. The guy is everywhere. Of the 3 LBs they drafted, Sylvester shows up the most, and its not close. The bad news there is he is likely competing w/ Bailey for a roster spot. Bailey showed a lot last night. He'll be picked up by someone, if the Steelers let him go. So will Sylvester, for that matter.

Logan- is gone. Brown is going to get the return duties.

ARE didn't dress- and Battle was the #3 last night. Interesting. I've always thought Battle was going to make it- because of experience. I think his performance last evening helped him.

My big fear with the WRs- (which is why I think Battle stays) is the inexperience. We have repeatedly seen all of the QBs getting in the ear of the young receivers for effing up on routs. That **** will kill you. I would not want to rely on either Sanders or Brown early in the season- for this reason.

I think the coaching staff is going to have some very tough cuts, and many of the guys who are cut, are going to end up on other rosters- anyway.

Thats it.

[HIGH-LIGHT]As always, I'm geeked about the upcoming season- even with Ben out in the beginning- next sunday can't come quick enough!!!![/HIGH-LIGHT]

:towelwave
    Agreed!

Threads : 277

I go with youth to avoid the aging process of our D showing up again, too soon.

I keep Worlds, Gibson and Sylvester. I also keep Doug Washington over Eason, although I bet we can get Washington to the PS.

I definitely keep Dwyer, who was too good in college to leave exposed to the other 29 teams. I would cut Moore and keep Summers.

Grisham can make to PS, but I think he is a more valuable receiver than Battle and would prefer to keep the kid.

Hartwig goes, Logan goes (can we get a seventh for either?) and Urbik gets cut, unless the numbers allow us to keep him.

Anthony Madison goes.

I can live with Batch/Dixon or Dixon/Batch until Ben returns.

I think Pouncey looked really good despite the high snap and one other infraction. Just growing pains. The guy can move up the field too after he hikes that ball, great to see.

Threads : 88

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    I think Pouncey looked really good despite the high snap and one other infraction. Just growing pains. The guy can move up the field too after he hikes that ball, great to see.
    Other than those two errors (that's why they're called rookie mistakes), I really liked Pouncey. For once (after the last 2-3 years), the middle of the line wasn't folding on every play, getting the QB killed.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

just heard on the radio that the steelers gave hartwig the okay to talk/pursue other teams.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information