Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: $200 computer

Threads : 215

Default $200 computer

I recently printed out a parts list for an ubuntu os, amd cpu tower for the cheap. I may build one.

Does anyone else here tinker with the puters?
    Last edited by CROSSBONES; Sep-06-2010 at 12:29 AM.
    Remember, that which hath not killed you, will try again...................

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBONES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I recently printed out a pars list for an ubuntu os, amd cpu tower for the cheap. I may build one.

Does anyone else here tinker with the puters?
    Yeah I do. I have built every pc I have had since 99. I usually spend more than that. Last one was like 700 just for the box and contents. Already had the screens and keyboard and all that. I built one for my wife aunt for 2 bills and it runs like a charm. Windows Vista I think I put on it. I am a windows guy I don't get that deep into that type of geekery. I tried to put osx on mine once and ****ed everything up so i just stick to win 7.

You ought to partition an older computer and try ubuntu 10.04. It partitions your drive as you install.

You ought to partition an older computer and try ubuntu 10.04. It partitions your drive as you install.
    I have no use for it tho. My programs run on either windows or Mac. Kinda dumb to use an OS just for browsing the web and then load up windows any time I want to use one of my programs.

Threads : 9

Default Re: $200 computer

I've built four with good success. I stick with Windows too. I've thought of going with linux, but haven't gotten up the nerve. I've got a new HD for my desktop, so I've been toying with the idea. I've been told not to try unless I've got someone helping me. Hmmmmmmm....

I've been happy with newegg for most parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    I've built four with good success. I stick with Windows too. I've thought of going with linux, but haven't gotten up the nerve. I've got a new HD for my desktop, so I've been toying with the idea. I've been told not to try unless I've got someone helping me. Hmmmmmmm....

I've been happy with newegg for most parts.
    Yeah I go newegg too. You can get cheaper than them sometimes but I have yet to buy something from them that doesn't work and the shipping is on point.

I don't think you need help with the ubuntu these days. When I first checked it out it was crazy geek command prompt type garbage. I just like specific stuff that doesn't run on linux. I don't bother.

The versions starting at 9.04 are very friendly. They are free! I am building 2 for starters. One for a back up, for me, and one for a friend, with limited resources.

I have a dual boot, with XP and Ubuntu 10.04 on a tablet/laptop and all is well. I guess I do this so I can help other people. Sometimes an Ubuntu live is needed to recover files from a windows drive.

Open Office is free also. It will open anything from a Microsoft Office program. If you ever help out other people that are less fortunate or want to go the cheapest way, then this is worth your effort.

The world is taking notice and will also take notice of google's totally cloud computing at some point. I do not want cloud computing to become "big"! Some cloud backups are actually a good idea.

The versions starting at 9.04 are very friendly. They are free! I am building 2 for starters. One for a back up, for me, and one for a friend, with limited resources.

I have a dual boot, with XP and Ubuntu 10.04 on a tablet/laptop and all is well. I guess I do this so I can help other people. Sometimes an Ubuntu live is needed to recover files from a windows drive.

Open Office is free also. It will open anything from a Microsoft Office program. If you ever help out other people that are less fortunate or want to go the cheapest way, then this is worth your effort.

The world is taking notice and will also take notice of google's totally cloud computing at some point. I do not want cloud computing to become "big"! Some cloud backups are actually a good idea.
    Well cloud computing is already here in a lot of ways. G-mail was the first step in that direction. The thing is I think this was imagined with kiosk type computing in mind. Basically you can just go to any computer and logon and you own personalized desktop will appear. I don't see the kiosk thing ever happening tho since the whole smart phone craze. There is just no need for it. I don't really trust google at this point tho. The whole mantra "we are not evil" yeah I don't know about that. They have gotten to be such a huge corporation that they are basically evil by default. Now they are getting involved with the anti-netneutrality business that basically allows them to do what the **** they want. They can block sites from searches or make sites to appear in your searches easier. Basically control that we don't need. I dunno **** it going to get crazy.

I have an igoogle that is my own customized page and ties in with my smartphone. I can access it from any phone or computer. My phone would not "sync" some of the bookmarks, important personal accounts, because the phone's security is not good enough yet.i Guess that's cloud computing. That home page is stored in space "some big computers somewhere".

I was thinking of starting a new system with a Coolermaster HAFX full tower case (youtube) and a modular Corsair 750 power supply. I will try an oversized mobo and that will dictate which cpu to use.

I was hoping native usb 3, on the mobos, would have arrived by now. Also, the ssd drives need to come down in price a little. Wireless to tv software is essential, as is a video card with dual hdmi out.

I probably won't be allowed to build one for a while but I just put win 7 64 bit on. Think I am going to add at least another 4 gigs of ram. That should hold me over for a while.

I took the dive and installed ubuntu.

I thought I was in over my head because I couldn't figure out how to install the drivers for my wireless adapter.
    Turns out I didn't need one. As soon as I plugged the usb in, it started working. Better than Windows

Now I'm going to download openoffice and whatever else I can figure out.

Things are looking up!
    Last edited by Timbo; Sep-04-2010 at 04:51 PM.

I do, however, need to learn how to get my windows 7 computers to see the ubuntu computer and visa versa. I would like to also use the printer connected to the ubuntu computer from the other two computers.

I am able to print from the unbuntu computer to the network printer, so that's good. I know that I am on the network.

BTW, I didn't have to download openoffice. It came already installed. Cool beans

Good Stuff Timbo! I would like to keep this thread alive..........The geeks call it bumping, to keep it on the first page. You can't sticky everything! We could bring the smartphone conversation to this one also.

Just bought another logitech wireless keyboard mouse combo. Gone is the wired transmitter. Works from a little usb dongle.

Also got a new paper shredder...diamond cut.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information