Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You donít really want Charlie Batch to start week 1 do you?

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default You donít really want Charlie Batch to start week 1 do you?

You donít really want Charlie Batch to start week 1 do you?
    By Dagger, on September 4th, 2010
    http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...do_you/3169405

(Just a reminder, I post this info, not endorse it.) WYsteel

Iím having a hard time believing what I have been hearing over the past 48 hours. Charlie Batch was 3 quarters of preseason football away from wearing the Black/Gold for the last time and here were are today, with a surprising amount of Steeler fans stating their case as to why Batch should start the season as our #1 QB. In fact I just finished reading an article in the Post-Gazette that hinted at Batch being the starter.

The fans out there that want Charlie Batch to start week 1 need to remember something. The ONLY reason you want Batch to start is because you see him as a game manager. He wonít hurt the team with bad or untimely mistakes. Folks, in the NFL that is not what you want at the QB position.

Hand the ball off a bunch of times, throw a pass or two in order to keep a drive going, donít get sacked, donít throw interceptions, just donít lose us the game. Hey, this idea actually doesnít sound so badÖ.but you are forgetting a few key aspects of this argument. Teams that have used the ďgame manager QBĒ model all had a few things in common: Dominating defenses, fantastic Special Teams play, and smash-mouth top of the league Rushing attacks that racked up yards and time of possession. Guess what people, if we are to go by what we saw in 2009, the Steelers have None of the Above. A team with a suspect secondary, a poor offensive line, an average running game, and lackluster Special Teams play with a game manager at QB = bottom tier NFL team.

Having said that, Iím on record in predicting that the Steelers defense will be great this year, but will they dominate like they did a few years back? Will they recapture their record-setting form? Will we hold all of our opponents to 10-13 points? If you plan on having a ďgame managerĒ in their at QB you better not be giving up 20+ pts or youíre toast.

Sure the Steelers lead the NFL in rushing yards per game this preseason but is that going to carry over into the regular season? If Batch is your QB it better carry over. If he is your QB then the entire production of your offense is put on the shoulders of Mendenhall and your 5 Offensive Linemen. Sound a bit frightening? Yeah, it does.

If youíre going to be playing close, down-to-the-wire football games for the next 4 weeks you better have stellar Special Teams play. Anybody reading this post have confidence that our Return units can give our offense short fields to work with? What about the our Punt and Kick coverage units? Are we going to pin teams back in their own end and win the field position battle? You better hope so. With a ďgame managerĒ at QB you are going to have to use your Special Teams to set you up with short fields.

If Charlie Batch is your QB next weekend you need all of these pieces to come together each and every week. Put a guy like Ben Roethlisberger on the field and obviously he has the skill and playmaking ability to overcome other shortcomings the team might have. Does Dennis Dixon have the same arm, the same sense, the same playmaking ability? No, but he has a lot more to offer the offense than Batch does and for that reason, Iím pulling for Dennis Dixon to get the nod. You certainly donít want or need him to throw 35 passes per game but his ability to make plays Ė inside the pocket, outside the pocket, with his arm, and with his legs -is an asset you have on the field that doesnít exist with Batch under Center.

We all need to remember that this isnít college or high school football. You canít hide your QB in the NFL; you canít pass the ball 3 times per quarter and expect to win. The other team is going to score and the running game wonít always be there. If you donít have a QB capable of going out and winning games for you, youíre going to have major problems. Dixon gives the team a better chance to win games when the other parts of the team are not clicking.

Let me also remind you that Charlie Batch got almost no action this entire preseason and when he did, he was facing off against 4th and 5th teamers. He was leading the Steeler offense against guys that are being cut today.

For those of you making the argument that Dixon hasnít had enough experience and will make dumb mistakesÖ.I really canít argue with that. He may make mistakes from time to time but all QBs do. You just hope he makes enough positive plays to lead the team to victory and overcome any struggles he might have on the field. And take a look at Charlie Batchís ďvast experienceĒ over the past 7 years:

1. Batch has completed 76 passes since 2003. (Since 2006 Batch has completed 18 passes. Dixon has completed 12. Charlie played in a couple of games 3 years ago so he is obviously the guy for the job? I donít get it.)

2. Batch has 8 TD passes since 2003.

3. Batch has only appeared in 23 games since 2003.

Let me ask you thisÖ.do you think the Falcons, Bucs, Titans, and Ravens want to see Charlie Batch or Dennis Dixon at QB? Exactly.

Well that about sums up my argument.

Threads : 440

Default Re: You donít really want Charlie Batch to start week 1 do you?

considering how fragile Batch is and behind our OL, Charlie won't last very long. We'll be seeing Dennis Dixon soon enough...

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sensible disclaimer, WY!

Batch, Dixon... any way you look at it, it's not Ben. If Ben's backup was an analogue of Ben, he'd have been charmed away by any one of the other teams in the league that need a QB.

What I want is a QB who is least likely to **** the bed for 4 games, failing that 2 games (I could live with 2-2 coming out of this funk).
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 440

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sensible disclaimer, WY!

Batch, Dixon... any way you look at it, it's not Ben. If Ben's backup was an analogue of Ben, he'd have been charmed away by any one of the other teams in the league that need a QB.

What I want is a QB who is least likely to **** the bed for 4 games, failing that 2 games (I could live with 2-2 coming out of this funk).

i would accept a 2-2 record right now...

sjdrewk

They way I would respond to the title of the thread is, as opposed to what- Dennis Dixon starting? No win situation here but I'd rather start the season with Batch.

Threads : 137

Batch is our best option for winning right now.

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No, I'd like Roethlisberger to start week 1!

Threads : 137

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    No, I'd like Roethlisberger to start week 1!
    No doubt, but sadly - not an option.

Threads : 691

You don’t really want Charlie Batch to start week 1 do you?
    Why yes,yes I do.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 9

He is 3-0 as a starter. Hard to argue about that. If he goes 3-1, then I'd argue.

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    He is 3-0 as a starter. Hard to argue about that. If he goes 3-1, then I'd argue.
    He hasn't started a game in 3 years tho who knows if he is the same guy? You can make valid arguments either way. I guess we just have to wait and see. I have no influence over the organization.

Threads : 10

Batch is the best option. If you start Dixon, you're limited to using the 1/3 of the offensive playbook that Dixon has memorized.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Five-O View Post
    Batch is the best option. If you start Dixon, you're limited to using the 1/3 of the offensive playbook that Dixon has memorized.
    Probably about the same sized playbook they used for Ben his rookie year. We did alright with that.

Threads : 10

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    Probably about the same sized playbook they used for Ben his rookie year. We did alright with that.
    The difference being that Dixon is no rookie. If Dixon is simply a QB with a special package of plays, then Batch is the best option. I read a post somewhere on this site that made a lot of sense, in speaking of Charlie Batch the member said, "I'm just wondering why we forgot all about him from the beginning." I second that. What did Charlie Batch do, besides being injured, that sent him tumbling down the depth chart? I don't know the answer to that question but I do know that in games past, Batch played a hell of lot better than both Leftwich and Dixon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Five-O View Post
    The difference being that Dixon is no rookie. If Dixon is simply a QB with a special package of plays, then Batch is the best option. I read a post somewhere on this site that made a lot of sense, in speaking of Charlie Batch the member said, "I'm just wondering why we forgot all about him from the beginning." I second that. What did Charlie Batch do, besides being injured, that sent him tumbling down the depth chart? I don't know the answer to that question but I do know that in games past, Batch played a hell of lot better than both Leftwich and Dixon.

He wasn't given much time to fail either. One game he didn't play I think, one game a couple handoffs, one game he played a while against 3rd teams and did ok but also threw a pick and another game he played for a while but mainly just handoffs again. I always said he is a good QB for a game maybe 2 but 4 games you are stretching it. If he is the man well I hope he is THE man but not expecting too much tbh. I guess that is the story tho. Most of us have already lowered expectations so much. Either way. If we can get at least 1 win I think we will reserve the bridge jumping for later in the season.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information