Thread: Urbik: One of Colbert's Biggest Draft Busts Ever?

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Urbik: One of Colbert's Biggest Draft Busts Ever?

Urbik: One of Colbert's Biggest Draft Busts Ever?

by t1mmy10 on Sep 6, 2010 12:25 PM EDT
    http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...lberts-biggest

Yesterday, the Steelers cut guard Kraig Urbik and he was picked up off of waivers by the Bills (#9 in waiver order). Only a year ago, Urbik was the 79th overall draft (3rd round) pick in the 2009 NFL draft. Some might argue he was someone the Steelers would have liked to keep and was only a victim of a deep roster. Others can say he just wasn't cutting it and deserved to go. Regardless, he now joins a list of players most Steelers fans will cringe when they hear mentioned, along with the likes of Bruce Davis and Alonzo Jackson.

During Kevin Colbert's tenure as GM since 2000, Kraig Urbik is the highest draft pick cut 1 year after he was drafted. Remember how big of a bust we thought Bruce Davis was? Well, Urbik was drafted 9 spots higher. Here's a list of some of Colbert's biggest draft busts:

Note: I only included players that were cut soon after they were drafted & were drafted before the 5th round. "Soon" was based upon what round they were drafted in. I did not include players that were "busts," but the steelers kept around for a while hoping the player would become a contributor. I think there is a difference between "we don't think you're good enough or have enough potential to get a roster spot" and "you aren't any good right now, but we'll keep you around for another year because we think you have potential."

Biggest Cuts drafted earlier that year:
    Danny Farmer- 2000, 4th Rd (103 overall)
    Fred Gibson- 2005, 4th rd (131 overall)
    Ryan McBean- 2007, 4th rd (132 overall)
    Orien Harris- 2006, 4th rd (133 overall)

Biggest Cuts drafted 1 year earlier:
    Kraig Urbik- 2009, 3rd rd (79 overall)
    Bruce Davis- 2008, 3rd rd (88 overall)

Biggest Cuts drafted 2 years earlier:
    Alonzo Jackson- 2003, 2nd rd (59 overall)
    Willie Reid- 2006, 3rd rd (95 overall)

Threads : 277

Default Re: Urbik: One of Colbert's Biggest Draft Busts Ever?

I like the fact that eight draft picks made the 2010 team, with the other two potentially available to us on on PUP and PS.

Colbert earns props on that.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Definitely good when 8 draft picks make the roster and practice squad. I look for Crezdon Butler to make a splash this year. He seems to have a nose for the ball. Sylvester reminds me a little of Kendrell Bell, hopefully he can stay healthy and on the field. Dwyer runs alot harder than I thought he would. He got healthy just in time to save his roster spot. This will turn out to be Colbert's best draft yet.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 29

Me thinks they are forgeting Ricardo Colclough and Zo Jackson. They may have made it an extra year but ONLY because they were drafted in the 2nd. Both were equally worthless.

In Colbert's defense Zo Jackson was, reportedly, a Cowher love fest.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I dont know how Urbik could be a draft bust when he wasn't really given a chance...but yes it is disappointing that a 3rd rounder couldn't hang with the team.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 1

Urbik is obviously not a draft success, but the fact that there were reportedly 4 or 5 teams that placed claims on him says that he isn't a bust of Bruce Davis proportions. Urbik may have a shot to stick with the Bills, or elsewhere in the NFL. Bruce Davis washed out of another camp this year, and has been a total bust. Urbik showed that he was actually pretty good when asked to just fire out and smash a lineman in the face; he wasn't as good on the move or trying to find LBs.

I'll take a miss on a pick like Urbik when the Steelers were able to find game day backups in Foster and Legursky as UDFAs, and when so many picks this year made the team.

Threads : 440

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Urbik is obviously not a draft success, but the fact that there were reportedly 4 or 5 teams that placed claims on him says that he isn't a bust of Bruce Davis proportions. Urbik may have a shot to stick with the Bills, or elsewhere in the NFL. Bruce Davis washed out of another camp this year, and has been a total bust. Urbik showed that he was actually pretty good when asked to just fire out and smash a lineman in the face; he wasn't as good on the move or trying to find LBs.

I'll take a miss on a pick like Urbik when the Steelers were able to find game day backups in Foster and Legursky as UDFAs, and when so many picks this year made the team.

Bruce Davis was just released again by the San Francisco 49ers, likely ending his stellar career.

Urbik on the other hand has a great chance of sticking with the Buffalo Bills, who are absolutely devoid of OL talent.

Threads : 49

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dont know how Urbik could be a draft bust when he wasn't really given a chance...but yes it is disappointing that a 3rd rounder couldn't hang with the team.
    My thoughts exactly. He seemed to be improving, the team is thin at the guard position, how Essex is the starter I have no clue.

I think the Steelers may have dropped the ball on Urbik, but at the same time most guys that get cut by the Steelers normally don't make it in the NFL. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information