Thread: Offensive Line Experiment

bulldogge01

Default Offensive Line Experiment

I’ve been meaning to write this one for a while. The Steelers depth chart is set for the season, but I wish that they would have tried to be more creative with the offensive line during training camp this year. Will this years group as constructed be ok? Probably. Will they be good? Probably not.

He is what I would have tried.

Pouncey at center and Kemoetu at left guard, same as they have right now. Here’s where it gets interesting. Move Max Starks back to right tackle and since Flozell Adams had to learn a new position anyway how about right guard? Make a lot of sense to me since it gets him out of pass blocking on the end which was the rap on him in Dallas even when he was at his natural spot on the left side. He would also be a huge upgrade in run blocking from that position over Trai Essex.

So who do you put in at right tackle? Tony Hills. Hills had a great camp and preseason while he was in there and I think deserved a shot on the starting line. Oh well, wishful thinking.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Offensive Line Experiment

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogge01 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’ve been meaning to write this one for a while. The Steelers depth chart is set for the season, but I wish that they would have tried to be more creative with the offensive line during training camp this year. Will this years group as constructed be ok? Probably. Will they be good? Probably not.

Pouncey at center and Kemoetu at left guard, same as they have right now. Here’s where it gets interesting. Move Max Starks back to right tackle and since Flozell Adams had to learn a new position anyway how about right guard? Make a lot of sense to me since it gets him out of pass blocking on the end which was the rap on him in Dallas even when he was at his natural spot on the left side. He would also be a huge upgrade in run blocking from that position over Trai Essex.

So who do you put in at right tackle? Tony Hills. Hills had a great camp and preseason while he was in there and I think deserved a shot on the starting line. Oh well, wishful thinking.
    The offensive line? What is that?
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 48

Here's the problem with your theory:

1.Max Starks sucks at RT

2.Tony Hills sucks period.

Threads : 413

Slozell pulling on a running play? You've got to be serious!

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 60

Don't forget about feet of stone.............Slow-as-Hell Adams.

bulldogge01

"Slozell" is hilarious, thanks for that. My thinking is that it is worth taking some trap and sweep-type plays out of the offense to save at least a sack per game. I don't know why everyone is so down on Hills. He didn't do squat his first 2 years but looked ok this preseason. Essex is the sucking void in that o-line.

Threads : 277

Foster and Hills are ready replacements for somebody, but the HC won't be quick to dump his starters and become creative/inventive with his backups!

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    Don't forget about feet of stone.............Slow-as-Hell Adams.
    yeah watch on sunday and see how many FS he gets...

Threads : 48

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    Foster and Hills are ready replacements for somebody, but the HC won't be quick to dump his starters and become creative/inventive with his backups!
    HUH????So,Hills has one somewhat decnt pre-season and all of a sudden he's ready to be a starter??

Threads : 135

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    HUH????So,Hills has one somewhat decnt pre-season and all of a sudden he's ready to be a starter??
    Les, that is how the Steelers select their starting offensive linemen.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    Les, that is how the Steelers select their starting offensive linemen.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Actually I've *****ed about this all Pre-Season and will probably find ways to shove it in posts here and there throughout the season but ....

I thought it was a mistake to give Pouncey the starting Center job when you have Trai Essex and Flozell Adams on the right side of your line. Flozell is strong if he's not beaten but Trai Essex sucks in every aspect fo the game. He can't run block worth a crap (we ranked bottom half of the league running behind Essex last year) and his pass protection has always been below average. That right side of the line looks TERRIBLE.

They should've kept Hartwig who is good enough, probably be better if some competent were at rG next to him instead of Trai Essex and had Pouncey play at RG this season to get that experience under him. It strengthens the entire line especially since Hartwig > Essex.

but no, they decided to keep the right part of the line about as porous and unresolved as possible and upgrade at Center. Pouncey is a much larger upgrade over Essex than he is Hartwig right now IMO... to me it's all about making the line stronger, coaching staff IMO didn't do that when they had options to get Trai Essex the **** out of there
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information