Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Tomlin keeps QB options

Threads : 691

Default Mike Tomlin keeps QB options

Mike Tomlin keeps QB options openEmail Print Comments189 ESPN.com news services

Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday there's no guarantee that Ben Roethlisberger will be the starting quarterback when he returns from his four-game suspension.

AFC North blog
    ESPN.com's James Walker writes about all things AFC North in his division blog.

Blog network: NFL Nation

On Monday, Tomlin named Dennis Dixon the starter in Roethlisberger's absence.

When asked if Roethlisberger would regain his starting job upon his return, Tomlin told Sirius NFL Radio: "I'm going to dodge that one and not artfully," according to USA Today.

"I'm not going to back myself in a corner."

Byron Leftwich, reacquired by Pittsburgh during an April trade, was expected to start while Roethlisberger was out, but sprained his left medial collateral ligament Thursday against Carolina. Dixon, a third-year player from Oregon, threw for a touchdown and ran for another during an overtime loss in Baltimore last season when Roethlisberger was out with a concussion.

"Dennis has had a very productive preseason and training camp," Tomlin said. "He went into the training camp as a young guy, second in the pecking order behind Byron Leftwich. He did a nice job and made it extremely competitive. He waged a battle and got some first-team reps in some preseason games. Largely, we've been very impressed with how he's handled himself in game situations."

Roethlisberger was not chosen as a Steelers captain in a vote by his teammates announced Monday. He has been selected the previous two seasons. Wide receiver Hines Ward and tight end Heath Miller will be the offensive captains.
    http://http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl...ory?id=5543326
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 91

Default Re: Mike Tomlin keeps QB options

Maybe he will bench Troy, James, and Hines too! That way he will get plenty of opportunities for fancy cliche comments in the limelight!

Threads : 60

But he seemed so smart when we hired him. Boy, did he fool the masses.

Threads : 49

I'm still trying to figure out why he said this. If he honestly thinks Dixon is anywhere close to the QB Ben is that is beyond troubling.

Tomlin is only fooling himself.

Threads : 2
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When asked if Roethlisberger would regain his starting job upon his return, Tomlin told Sirius NFL Radio: "I'm going to dodge that one and not artfully," according to USA Today.

"I'm not going to back myself in a corner."
    I hope he was just being coy, because if not, that the most dumbass comment I've heard him say, and he's said a few.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I can guarantee you that Dan and Art read this and probably laughed hysterically while mumbling "no ****ing way Ben is handed back his job on a silver platter when his suspension is up"
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 2

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I can guarantee you that Dan and Art read this and probably laughed hysterically while mumbling "no ****ing way Ben is handed back his job on a silver platter when his suspension is up"

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post

Is your post missing the word "NOT"

Threads : 440

Steelers beat writer wags finger at "national media" for repeating Tomlin's Tuesday quote

Posted by Mike Florio on September 8, 2010 11:27 AM ET

On Tuesday, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin appeared on Sirius NFL Radio with Adam Schein and Rich Gannon. And Schein asked Tomlin a straightforward question about the quarterback position as of the team's fifth game, once starter Ben Roethlisberger returns from a four-game suspension.

Will Ben be the starter when he comes back?

Said Tomlin: "I'm going to dodge that one and not artfully. I'm not going to back myself in a corner."

Folks like us and USA Today and ESPN.com picked up on the comment, and we gave it the attention and analysis that a comment of this nature would merit.

But Steelers beat writer Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, whom we like and respect, didn't like (or presumably respect) the decision of the "national media" to repeat the words uttered from Tomlin's mouth -- and to believe that Tomlin meant what he said.

"I don't know how this started," Bouchette writes, "but the national media has taken a few words uttered by Mike Tomlin and a few things he left unsaid and twisted them into 'fact' that the Steelers coach may not play Ben Roethlisberger when he returns from his suspension."

Frankly, I don't know why Bouchette thinks that the "national media" has applied an inappropriate or inaccurate meaning to Tomlin's words. Schein asked Tomlin if Ben will be the starter when Ben comes back. Tomlin opted to not say "yes". And if Tomlin wants to issue a statement clarifying his position on the matter, he's free to do so at any time.

Bouchette also complicates the matter by suggesting that the "national media" misinterpreted a comment from Tomlin's Tuesday press conference regarding whether Dennis Dixon will "have the opportunity to hold on to this spot during the four-week stretch." Tomlin said, "It depends on how he plays. And that's the nature of the NFL. I think anybody who suggests anything different is misinformed or misleading you." Bouchette specifically believes that some in the "national media" took this to mean that Tomlin suggested Dixon could play even after the four-week stretch, if he plays well enough during the four-week stretch.

But here's the thing -- no one in the "national media" claimed directly or indirectly that Tomlin's comment regarding Dixon's ability to hold the job for the first four games also reflected a comment that Dixon could hold the job beyond the first four games. Instead, the "national media" was merely seizing upon the answer Tomlin supplied to a question from Adam Schein that Tomlin could have answered in any way he chose.

Though we rarely accept at face value the things that an NFL coach says when broader notions of strategy are involved, the words are in many cases are worthy of being reported. Tomlin's answer to Schein's question falls squarely into that category, and we're not sure why anyone would say that Tomlin didn't really mean what he said, absent a fairly compelling explanation as to why Tomlin would say on this subject something other than what he believes.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...tuesday-quote/

Threads : 215

Lot's of tongue sore speculation here! Anything could happen!

Threads : 1632

Sheesh wil the real football season just start already, please?

Tomlin handled this just like he handled everything else surrounding the QB controversy he created!

Threads : 48

I don't know whats worse:

the fact that we have a Kordell Stewart clone as our starting QB for the next 4 games

or

that you guys actually believe what Tomlin is saying here.Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    I don't know whats worse:

the fact that we have a Kordell Stewart clone as our starting QB for the next 4 games

or

that you guys actually believe what Tomlin is saying here.Please.
    Good point! Regardless of what anyone thinks of Tomlin's coaching skills..he is as full of **** as a Christmas goose! I think he values his presser time more than his game plan!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information