Thread: Pouncey quietly ready for debut

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pouncey quietly ready for debut

Maurkice Pouncey quietly ready for debut
    September, 8, 2010
    By James Walker

PITTSBURGH -- Memo to Steeler Nation: This is a big week for center Maurkice Pouncey, too.

The rookie first-round pick is making his NFL debut Sunday against the Atlanta Falcons. But he's not getting nearly as much fanfare this week, because most of the attention is on quarterback Dennis Dixon's second career start.

"I'm happy," Pouncey said with a big smile Wednesday. "Don't talk about me; I play center. I don't want all that publicity."

A lot of responsibility will rest on Dixon's shoulders. But Pouncey will be there blocking in front of Dixon every step of the way. With a rookie center snapping to a young quarterback, there are some concerns about Pittsburgh's offense. The Steelers need to take care of the football and win the battle in the trenches this week to help Dixon.

But it's been so far, so good for Pouncey, who already looks like a star in the making. He has a good combination of tenacity and mobility, which is needed on Pittsburgh's offensive line. The Steelers will be inexperienced up the middle, but Pouncey doesn't see it as an issue.

"We're ready," Pouncey said of Dixon and himself. "We're professionals. I don't look at it like that. He was actually the first guy I snapped to [in minicamp]."

Win or lose Sunday, much of the adulation or blame naturally falls on the quarterback. But Pouncey's NFL debut also will be vital to Pittsburgh's offensive success against Atlanta.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...eady-for-debut
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Default Re: Pouncey quietly ready for debut

This was from Scott Brown's blog...

Pouncey poised to live up to lofty expectations
    September 8th, 2010

Maurkice Pouncey is well aware of the Steelers’ lineage at center where he is slated to start Sunday against the Falcons.

“I have a lot to live up to,” the rookie first-round pick said.

Pouncey may get some help in trying to continue the Steelers’ tradition of excellence at his position.

He has been exchanging text messages with Dermontti Dawson, who made seven consecutive Pro Bowls from 1992-98 and is arguably the best center of his era.

“He reached out to me,” Pouncey said. “He called me after I got drafted and we talked for a little bit. Ever since then we’ve been texting every now and then back and forth.”

Pouncey said he hopes to pick up some pointers from Dawson.

The Florida product has seen film of Dawson wiping out linebackers on his signature pulls.

“A beast,” Pouncey said of Dawson. “I’m just hoping to be something like him.”

In a couple of days Pouncey will do something Dawson never did with the Steelers: start as a rookie at center.

He’ll also become the first rookie position player to start under coach Mike Tomlin.

“It’s amazing, man,” Pouncey said. “I just want to stay level headed and keep getting better every day at practice.”

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...ss+Box+Blog%29
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 60

Is anyone surprised that there is little talk about our rookie starting at center ? I think it's because our other two have been that bad that everyone realizes he is still an improvement.

Mansfield, Webster, Dawson, _______________ , Hartings, Mayhan, Hartwig, Pouncey.

Today on WDVE someone called in and asked who played center between Dawson and Hartings and they couldn't come up with the answer. I always thought it went from Dawson to Hartings ?

They are thinking there was someone else that was the starter for a short period and they said it wasn't Sweeney or Olkobi. Does anyone know ?

Dawson was the center through 2000, and Hartings came in for the 2001 season moving from guard (at Det) to center for us...

But Dawson sat out 9 games in '99 and 7 in '00 due to injuries... So with that many games missed, it might be construed that there was another in between them.

Threads : 60

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dawson was the center through 2000, and Hartings came in for the 2001 season moving from guard (at Det) to center for us...

But Dawson sat out 9 games in '99 and 7 in '00 due to injuries... So with that many games missed, it might be construed that there was another in between them.

Was it Chucky ? I do recalll Chucky filling in for Hartings during his injury or injuries. Our running game went to **** when Chucky was in there. You guy wait and see how much improved our run game will be with a good center. If BA allows for this ? Boy, I wish we could get rid of BA.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information