Thread: Steelers/Falcons Tidbits

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Steelers/Falcons Tidbits

Steelers host Falcons at Heinz Field

Lt Col Brian Joseph of the United States Air Force flew this F-15 from Japan to Hawaii and will take part in the flyover this Sunday at Heinz Field.

Date: Sunday, Sept. 12, 2010

Kickoff: 1 p.m., ET

Site: Heinz Field (65,050) • Pittsburgh, Pa.

Playing Surface: Natural Grass

TV Coverage: FOX-TV (locally WPGH-TV, channel 53)

Announcers: Dick Stockton (play-by-play) Charles Davis (color analyst) Jim Mora (color analyst)

Local Radio: Steelers Radio Network WDVE-FM (102.5)/WBGG-AM (970)

Announcers: Bill Hillgrove (play-by-play) Tunch Ilkin (color analyst) Craig Wolfley (sideline)

A Look at the Coaches

[HIGH-LIGHT]Pittsburgh Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Overall regular-season record: 31-17 (.646)/fourth season

Regular-season record at Pittsburgh: 31-17 (.646)/fourth season

Playoff Record/Years: 3-1/two years

[HIGH-LIGHT]Atlanta Falcons Head Coach Mike Smith[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Overall Regular-season Record: 20-12 (.625)/third season

Regular-season Record at Atlanta: 20-12 (.625)/third season

Playoff Record/Years: 0-1/one year

[HIGH-LIGHT]Series History[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Series History: Series began in 1966

Overall: Pittsburgh leads 11-2-1

At Pittsburgh: Pittsburgh leads 5-0-1

At Atlanta: Pittsburgh leads 6-2

Neutral Sites: n/a

Last Meeting: Oct. 22, 2006 (in Atlanta)
    Atlanta 41, Pittsburgh 38 (OT)

Postseason Series: n/a
    (postseason record not included in overall series record)

Pittsburgh owns a112-1 all-time record against the Falcons...this marks the first meeting between the teams during the Mike Tomlin era...the teams have never met in a season opener...this marks the first matchup between the teams in Pittsburgh since the two clubs batted to a 34-34 overtime tie on Nov. 10, 2002...in that contest, the Falcons scored 17 unanswered points in the final eight minutes of the game to force overtime...the overtime ended with the Steelers catching a pass to the Atlanta one-yard line...also, several Steelers’ records were broken in that game, including individual receiving yards in a game (Plaxico Burress, 253)...Pittsburgh is 8-1-1 in the last 10 meetings...the past four games (2-1-1) in the series have been decided by a total of 10 points, including the past two games going into overtime...Pittsburgh has never lost to the Falcons at home (5-0-1).

[HIGH-LIGHT]Steelers-Falcons Connections[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Steelers-Falcons Connections: Several Steelers have ties to the Falcons and the Atlanta area. WR Hines Ward grew up in Georgia (Forest Park) and attended the University of Georgia. DE Nick Eason was born in Lyons, Ga., while LB Keyaron Fox was born in Atlanta and played at Georgia Tech. RB Jonathan Dwyer is from Marietta, Ga. and also played at Georgia Tech. QB Byron Leftwich played in three games for the Falcons in 2007. Tight ends coach James Daniel coach for Atlanta (1997-2003) prior to joining the Steelers.

Falcons with connections to the Steelers and Pittsburgh include assistant offensive line coach Paul Dunn, who played at Pitt and then coached for the Panthers twice (1983, 2005-07). Dunn also coached at Penn State (1984-85). Secondary coach Tim Lewis played at Pitt (1979-82) and coached for the Steelers from 1995-2003. Offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey played tight end for the Steelers from 1989-91 and then coached for the club from1996-2003 in different capacities. Assistant special teams coach Eric Sutulovich coached at Pitt in 2000. CB Brent Grimes played at Shippensburg.

[HIGH-LIGHT]What To Look For[/HIGH-LIGHT]

PITTSBURGH TEAM NOTES

• Pittsburgh looks for its eight straight win on Kickoff Weekend, which is the longest current streak in the NFL.

• The Steelers look to improve to 40-32-4 all-time on Kickoff Weekend.

• The Steelers are looking to improve to 12-2-1 all-time against the Atlanta Falcons.

• Pittsburgh looks to improve to 6-0-1 at home against the Falcons.

• The Steelers look to improve to 20-5 at Heinz Field during the Mike Tomlin era (2007-present).

PITTSBURGH INDIVIDUAL NOTES

[HIGH-LIGHT]WR Hines Ward[/HIGH-LIGHT]

• Needs one touchdown to move into a second-place tie with RB Jerome Bettis on the team’s all-time touchdowns list. Ward currently has 79 career touchdowns (78 receiving, one rushing) while Bettis finished his Steelers’ career with 80 touchdowns.

• Needs one 100-yard receiving game to break the team’s all-time record. He is currently tied with Hall of Famer John Stallworth with 25 career 100-yard receiving games.

• Needs 53 yards to reach 11,000 career receiving yards and become the first player in club history to achieve the feat.

[HIGH-LIGHT]TE Heath Miller[/HIGH-LIGHT]

• Needs 159 receiving yards to move into second place on the team’s all-time list for tight ends. He currently has 2,721 career receiving yards, trailing only Bennie Cunningham (2,879) and Elbie Nickel (5,133).

[HIGH-LIGHT]C Maurkice Pouncey[/HIGH-LIGHT]

• Will make his first NFL start at C in his first career game, becoming the first offensive lineman to start the season opener of his rookie year since OT Marvel Smith started at RT in 2000. According to Steelers’ archives, Pouncey is just the second offensive lineman ever to start as a rookie for the club. He also becomes the sixth rookie to start his first career game since 2000 (P Daniel Sepulveda - 2007, TE Heath Miller - 2005, LB Kendrell Bell - 2001, WR Plaxico Burress - 2000, Smith - 2000).

[HIGH-LIGHT]DE Aaron Smith[/HIGH-LIGHT]

• Needs 2.5 sacks to move into seventh place on the team’s all-time sack list ahead of Dwight White (46.0). Smith currently has 44.0 career sacks.

[HIGH-LIGHT]LB LaMarr Woodley[/HIGH-LIGHT]

• Looks to extend his team record to nine straight games with at least a half-sack. He has posted at least a half-sack in eight straight games, dating back to the middle of the 2009 season. During that span, he has 11.5 sacks.

[HIGH-LIGHT]LB James Harrison[/HIGH-LIGHT]

• Needs two sacks to move into ninth place on the team’s all-time sack list ahead of Ernie Holmes (40.0). Harrison currently has 38.5 career sacks.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

sjdrewk

Default Re: Steelers/Falcons Tidbits

I think we can stop Atl's run and I believe the D will come out on fire....what I am afraid of is our offense has the capabilities of producing the amount of offense that a wet mop would with Dixon at the helm. It could be chaotic on offense Sunday. Atl's D might shut our O down. I have no idea what to expect from the offense. D might have to take it home for us!

Worried about our O but I think we will win on Sunday at home!

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

I notice you didn't mention BENS connection to the atlanta GA area

Little note about Maurkice Pouncey. [HIGH-LIGHT]Not only will he be the first rookie position player to start a regular season opening game for the Steelers since Heath Miller in 2005, but he'll also be just the second offensive lineman in team history to do so.[/HIGH-LIGHT] Marvel Smith is the only other rookie offensive lineman to start in team history.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by rockcr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I notice you didn't mention BENS connection to the atlanta GA area
    Chris Mack said this today... Personally, I'm so tired of it, I just want to forget it and move on as quickly as possible.

Looking For a Fall Guy? Blame Ben
    September 10, 2010

In the past few days as the Steelers opener against Atlanta approached, everyone and their mother, yours truly included, has opined as to who will get the blame if the team doesn't start the first quarter of the season at least 2-2.

It could be Mike Tomlin for completely mismanaging the interim QB situation. It could be the defense if they're as soft in the secondary - especially late in games - as they were last season. It could be the offensive line if they can't get any kind of push in the running game. And of course it could be Dennis Dixon's fault if he goes out and does his best Kent Graham impression.

Not once though, have I heard anyone say, "If the Steelers start 0-4, you know whose fault it is? Ben Roethlisberger's!"

I understand those who forgive, but not those who so quickly forget what Roethlisberger's screw-up has done to the Steelers' season before a game has even been played.

http://stations.espn.go.com/stations...0&post=5554015

Threads : 183

I am a bit worried about Roddy White myself. He absolutely tore up a decent 49ers defense last year and the falcons dominated the 49ers who have a good defense last year. We need to tackle well and basically take White out of the game period early on

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Chris Mack said this today... Personally, I'm so tired of it, I just want to forget it and move on as quickly as possible.
    Been there since May, mate! Never mind, I'm sure tomorrow will open new avenues of *****ing. I may even participate myself if somebody puts up my favourite OC pinata!
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information