Thread: Mendenhall wants to dance through, over and around defenders

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Mendenhall wants to dance through, over and around defenders

Mendenhall wants to dance through, over and around defenders
    By: Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff
    Beaver County Times

Thursday September 9, 2010

PITTSBURGH -- Rashard Mendenhall doesn’t plan on appearing on “Dancing with the Stars” anytime soon. All he wants to do is boogie his way through opposing defenses starting Sunday.

To help him be the best running back he can be, Mendenhall put himself through an exhaustive off-season program that including weight lifting, running and dancing.

Yes, dancing.

For the second straight year, Mendenhall took dance classes as a way to improve his balance and body control.

“I started doing it after I was hurt two years ago,” said Mendenhall, the Steelers’ first-round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft. “I wanted to do something to keep me moving around.”

In the fourth game of his rookie year, Mendenhall got to start against Baltimore because Willie Parker was out with a knee injury. But in third quarter, Mendenhall’s season came to an end when he suffered a broken shoulder, courtesy of a ferocious hit by Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis.

Because he couldn’t lift weights, Mendenhall had to find other ways to stay in shape. So he began taking dance classes at a studio in Bridgeville. He enjoyed those dance classes so much that he took them again this year.

“I guess you can say it’s a way of cross-training,” he said. “Running backs have to stay limber, and I found that dancing was a way to help me with body control and to strengthen parts of my body that I normally wouldn’t strengthen. I think it helps, and I really enjoyed it.”

Last year, Mendenhall again started the fourth game of the season when Parker was out with a toe injury. He rushed for 165 yards and two touchdowns in a 38-28 in over San Diego and remained the starter the rest of the season.

A former Illinois star, Mendenhall finished the year as the league’s 14th-best rusher with 1,108 yards.

With Parker no longer on the team, Mendenhall is now the Steelers’ feature back. He wants to pick up where he left off last year. He wants to be one of the NFL’s most productive ball carriers.

“He’s an emerging player,” coach Mike Tomlin said.

And Mendenhall is the first to admit that dancing has helped him emerge.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...defenders.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 60

Default Re: Mendenhall wants to dance through, over and around defenders

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mendenhall wants to dance through, over and around defenders

I don't have a problem with that just hold onto the ****ing ball when doing it.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

From Scott Brown's blog...

Mendenhall to get plenty of goal-line carries
    September 9th, 2010

Apparently there is a distinction between a goal-line and a short-yardage back.

I had assumed that when Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Isaac Redman would be the latter that Redman would also handle the responsibilities associated with the former.

But offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said today -- or at least strongly intimated -- that Rashard Mendenhall will stay in the game for many goal-line situations.

“He’s done a nice job last year on the goal line and we know Isaac is capable but we’re not going to substitute in the middle of a goal-line stand,” Arians said. "That’s really hard to do.”

So what does all of this mean?

If you have Rashard Mendenhall in your fantasy football league, you should be elated as it sounds like he is going to at least share goal-line carries with Redman.

His role, in fact, is the only well-defined one in the backfield in part because the Steelers will lean so heavily on Mendenhall.

“Rashard, he’s our guy,” Arians said. “If he taps out at any point and time Mewelde (Moore) is in. If there comes a point where we think there is a better matchup on third down it could be Mewelde, it could be Isaac. Isaac will handle short-yardage and stay in on the goal line. We’ll just make sure that we have fresh legs in there all the time.”

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...ss+Box+Blog%29
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    I don't have a problem with that just hold onto the ****ing ball when doing it.
    NO **** sometimes his spinning stuff scares me!

Threads : 60

Quote Originally Posted by rockcr View Post
    NO **** sometimes his spinning stuff scares me!

X2. I juust keep expecting to see him spin his gut or ribs right into some defenders shoulder pads or helmet.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information